+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 212 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: True Blood (HBO)

I LOVE the theme song/music for this show!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Regular

I am all jittery and giddy waiting for True Blood to return. I'v spent the winter reading all the Sookie Stackhouse books and in reading the first book in the series saw that the directors have taken large liberties with the plot and characters, so I don't anticipate having read them all will make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3419124;
    I am all jittery and giddy waiting for True Blood to return. I'v spent the winter reading all the Sookie Stackhouse books and in reading the first book in the series saw that the directors have taken large liberties with the plot and characters, so I don't anticipate having read them all will make much difference.
    Alan implied that the further we get into the series the farther away from the books he will get. This is his show, and he has the rights to do whatever he wants. I can't find the original quote, (I've tried) but paraphrasing from memory he said by the time we get to book 4 it will pretty much be a different series from what we know from the books.
    Although, he could change his mind on that as well. I found the first season to be fresh and intriguing even though I had finished all 8 of the current books before the debut; and am OK with whatever he wants to do with the storyline. He is a great story teller!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

After having seen the first season, without exposure to the books, I have finally started reading the first book. It is not the easiest read after having seen the show. The show seems much more flavorful than the book, but I'm hanging in there. Tyra and Lafayette added dimensions to the story that I really miss while reading the book. I'm really fighting the urge to put the book down and sticking, solely, with the show.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3419899;
    After having seen the first season, without exposure to the books, I have finally started reading the first book. It is not the easiest read after having seen the show. The show seems much more flavorful than the book, but I'm hanging in there. Tyra and Lafayette added dimensions to the story that I really miss while reading the book. I'm really fighting the urge to put the book down and sticking, solely, with the show.
    I think you should put the book down, and now read the second book in the series, Living Dead in Dallas. The books are great reads, especially if you read them first; and by the way - the first book was NOT my favorite. Actually, it was my least favorite, but that doesn't matter. I think having Charlaine's original story as the basis allows you to enjoy Alan's creativity more then just learning Sookie's story by way of HBO. It is like watching something one dimensional instead of being able to enjoy it multi-dimensional.

Also, there are soon to be 9 books in the series completed, and I doubt that the TV series will last that long; you would miss out on some of the great directions, twists and turns of Sookie's life if you limit yourself to just the TB series. IMO
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I KNEW you would step up and give me some guidance!!! I can always count on you!!

It's going to be hard for me to put down a book I've partially finished...since it's not HORRIBLE...it's just drier than I wished for.

I'll try. I'm getting these from the library so, hopefully, they'll have the next book immediately and I won't have to wait.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3419899;
    Don't give up on the books. If nothing else they provide a nice contrast with the TV series and it is very interesting to see how the director can take the material provided by the author and see it from a whole different perspective. I too prefer the HBO series to the book but think they are both well worth while.

I'm still on the second chapter of the first book. I haven't been able to get into it the way I have with the tv series.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I love the books. They're nice easy reads.

Just saw a promo for season 2 on Watch with Kristen on EOnline. I am very confused and not all that thrilled with it but I am diehard fan of the books so when they use something right out of the books and twist it to something really weird, I get a bit "ehhh" about it. Just for the record, I don't have a problem if AB goes away from the books but I am just disturbed by this change and reading Kristen's Spoiler Chat, I am even more "huh?" about it.

+ Reply to Thread