+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

We keep saying that it couldn't get worse and then it does. There's always a sub-basement below the basement with this show.
    mindy384 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Good grief, they brought poor ol' Bud back to do that to him? Well at least that nasty little storyline is done with, along with the stupid ifrit. Now we've got Bill being a mindless twit (I kept hoping Eric would take him out) and little Emma as Newlin's pet. Charming.

And what was up with Sookie's sputtering hands in the barn? Did she "run out" of magic already?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

There were some bits that I actually liked this week. Lala and Sookie at her home and his chat with the spirits (g-mail for dead bitches had me laughing). Kenya and Kevin were great in the police station; IIRC, they've actually stayed pretty true to book form and they're great for it. I wasn't keen on turning good ole Bud into a raving anti-supes and anyone associated with them and the Dragon was a huuuge cartoon of a character, but I was glad the whole story was wrapped up. Same goes for the ifrit; I've been wanting someone to shoot Patrick since last season.

But the vampires are wearing me out. Russell taking Emma for Steve's pet doesn't bother me because I know it's supposed to; the "child in peril" story line is one of the weakest, most over-used story lines going and it just irritates me that the writers went lazy on that. Everything else at the Authority's HQ is so damn dull. Get a victim, drink him/her up, talk about Lilth, Bill looks old, and repeat.
    mindy384 likes this.

I have to agree with everyone else that this show is in a downward spiral. My (older teen) son commented that he was actually enjoying the Authority storyline before it went all "religion" and the head guy got offed. When Bud's girlfriend introduced herself as Sweetie I was just thinking "NOW they are going to try to connect this story line with the book!?!?" I had the same thought when Alcide went to see his dad and made a comment about his gambling problem. They have gone so far away from the original story they shouldn't even try to bring it back around at this point.

I still really like Pam and I wish we could have more of her without more of Tara. I still detest the Tara as a vampire character. Lafayette has moments when I still like him in spite of his story line, which I am not a fan of. Sam's bit playing Luna-as-Sam was hilarious. Why can't we have more moments like that?

Would it be too much to hope that they kill of Bill this season and bring in Quinn as his "replacement" for next season? I guessing it probably is...

It was really sad when the upcoming clips said "3 more episodes" and I thought that sounded like a lot...
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 08-06-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I have to agree with everyone else that this show is in a downward spiral. My (older teen) son commented that he was actually enjoying the Authority storyline before it went all "religion" and the head guy got offed. When Bud's girlfriend introduced herself as Sweetie I was just thinking "NOW they are going to try to connect this story line with the book!?!?" I had the same thought when Alcide went to see his dad and made a comment about his gambling problem. They have gone so far away from the original story they shouldn't even try to bring it back around at this point.

I still really like Pam and I wish we could have more of her without more of Tara. I still detest the Tara as a vampire character. Lafayette has moments when I still like him in spite of his story line, which I am not a fan of. Sam's bit playing Luna-as-Sam was hilarious. Why can't we have more moments like that?

Would it be too much to hope that they kill of Bill this season and bring in Quinn as his "replacement" for next season? I guessing it probably is...

It was really sad when the upcoming clips said "3 more episodes" and I thought that sounded like a lot...

Well at least they have eliminated 2 problem storylines I wonder now that they have all this extra time how much more of a mess they can make this season. Spartacus, oh, Spartacus we clean up on isle True Blood.

Oh, I can't stand how they are treating Pam I expected her to off that new guy's head instead of rolling on the ground. Where's an 800lb tiger when you need one.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

There is a book character named Sweetie Desartes (dunno if I have the spelling right on the surname) who, I believe, worked at Merlotte's as a cook and was involved in the book's supe-serial-killer storyline.

Beyond disappointed Chris Meloni is still AWOL. The writers have also completely wasted the fabulous Alexander Skarsgard this season.

I did get a laugh out of Robert Patrick showing up as Alcide's dad. That may take the wolf plotline in an interesting direction. I hope.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Just have to say I appreciate you all commenting during the season. You're making my decision to acquire this season on DVD to watch it very very easy. I was apathetic towards last season and this one doesn't sound like something I'm going to remotely like.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    There is a book character named Sweetie Desartes (dunno if I have the spelling right on the surname) who, I believe, worked at Merlotte's as a cook and was involved in the book's supe-serial-killer storyline.
    IIRC, Sweetie was a stripper AND a supe. Once again, they're taking a character's name and then creating a character that is NOTHING like the original character!

I never liked Bill. Not in the books. Not on the show. I hated that the show made him some big hero when the real hero of the series (if you could call it that) is Eric.

It irritates the hell out of me that this show gets more episodes per season than Game of Thrones. Really, they could give TB 22+ episodes and it wouldn't make a difference - nothing would happen...only it would just take longer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Only 3 more episodes of torture left. I can only hope Alan Ball leaves the show this season but I don't know if they can save it.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We finally caught up and I'm floored - it has gotten baaaad! The show ended and DH & I looked at each other and wondered what the heck was that?!? It's definitely been a disappointing, nothing-to-write-home-about season. It's too bad.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread