+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Jessica is awesome. I really like her. Deborah Ann Woll is quite the actress. That scene of her crawling through the house towards the sun.. great! She has a very sassy/evil/badass look in her eyes with the best of them, and at the same time, she can be so sweet. I hope they don't have her fry in the sunlight, have her & Hoyt break up. I really don't like him at all.

I am also missing the badass Eric more & more... he was so evil, and loved it! I want him & Sookie together, but with him as he was.

As for Bill... I don't know what is going on, as I have not read the books, but I do not like him now. He used to be caring & funny in his own way, now he is just power hungry, rude & mean to Sookie. That fight they had over Eric being arrested was really good though! But during the latest episode, where he & Jessica had their scenes, I was excited... that is the Bill I like! I hope they snap him out of his bad mood.

And Pam... what can I say? She rocks! I her.
    JavaJo likes this.
    ~Supernatural Addict~

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

That gunshot right before she gets the doors open is making me wonder if Jason ran out of luck.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Looks like we'll bitching about this show for at least one more season!
    HBO renews True Blood for Season 5 - HitFix.com

Not that it probably matters, but does anyone remember what book 5 was about? Was that the convention?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I believe AB has made it abundantly clear that the show is not "tracking" the books and that he has no intention of interpreting them accurately. I think it was telling when Sookie was briefly shown reading one of the books. It said, "True Blood totally owns the story here."

He is going so far as actually reinventing the characters this season, from what I've read. So, I think it's sort of pointless to hold any expectation that the show will faithfully interpret anything from the books, even in a tangential way.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 08-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I just started re-reading book 5, but I haven't got far yet. I liked to read the books to refresh my memory about what's going to happen, but not much point in that now, obviously.

I watch Dexter and it's pretty much the same kind of thing...major plot differences and character changes. It bugs me a bit sometimes but nowhere near as much at the TB changes, for some reason.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

When True Blood first aired, I made it 1.5 episodes through and quit. I didn't pick it back up until some friends of mine (who have never read the books) said that it has a certain level of violence and dark humor that would appeal to me. I keep the books and the show separate, for the most part. I did re-read the 4th one before the season started, just so I could remember it. It doesn't matter that they keep Bill around to be relevant to the plot, or that Lafayette is alive, or that Tara is more prominent, it's just what they DO with those plots that can be infuriating. The one single thing that I wish AB had never changed was to make Sookie a sex-obsessed airhead. There's no reason Sookie can't be at least a bit more clever and that wouldn't hurt the show.

FORT Fan

Season 1 is still the best season on my book. Because back then you had a whole bunch of vampires and one shapeshifter who seemed to be unique. Sookie was a waitress able to read minds and it made her stand out, she too was unique.

But after season 1 we got a greek goddess-thing, we got werewolves, fairies, more shapeshifters, werepanters, witches, and ghosts. Suddenly the down-to-earth town of Bon Temps seemed to have more supernatural characters than normal characters.

Right now there is no normal human left on the show, someone who isn't messed up or directly involved in something supernatural. Tara is just so messed up that she's nothing like the girl from the first season. Right now I might actually want to see her dead, because for the character that would be a blessing. Tara dying would be a happy end for her. You can see the clock ticking over Hoyt's head, and after Jason's little stunt with his feline friends the character is just running around aimlessly with the writers pretending he's competent but without actually showing him to be competent.

Sam's stories have been dragging since the start of the second season. They're trying to take him into a different direction, they're trying to make him edgy every season, but it's not actually working out. Nothing seems to stick. Sam as a character is just damaged, we know he's a horrible person, but he's also supposed to be a decent guy. Result: he's a damaged character that you can't sympathize with unless you ignore the various revelations about his past. I liked Sam best when he was a shapeshifter with a crush on Sookie, who was the more sane and safe alternative to a bloodsucking killer, but he hasn't been that guy in a long time.

Tommy has been a thorn in my side since he got introduced. He has no redeeming qualities. He's stirring up all sorts of sh** and he knows he's deliberately hurting people. There is no gray area there, he's an egotistical little bastard who hurts others. You can't sympathize with him.

Alcide seems like a decent guy, but he's barely there, and when he shows up he doesn't actually do anything. He's the fifth wheel in Sookie's convoluted love-life. Bill, Eric, AND Alcide?

LaFayette is a witch and a medium these days, he sees dead people, he sees them all the time, so where is that going to end up? LaFayette is sort of a character who is there in the background cracking wise and being snarky. He's a bit shady, but he's fun, he's also an absolute side-character. By making his role bigger the writers are trying to make him more important, but with him being so disconnected from Sookie, the main character in name only by this point, his entire role seems peripheral.

I need to not do this... short version: if you cut out most of the individual storylines currently running, the main storyline wouldn't be affected in the slightest.
    This is not a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Looks like we'll bitching about this show for at least one more season!
    HBO renews True Blood for Season 5 - HitFix.com

Not that it probably matters, but does anyone remember what book 5 was about? Was that the convention?
    All I can remember is that Quinn was introduced in book 5. Who knows if they'll bring him into the already too-large cast, though.

Yay for season five, though. Even though I complain, I still enjoy (most) of the show.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    All I can remember is that Quinn was introduced in book 5. Who knows if they'll bring him into the already too-large cast, though.

Yay for season five, though. Even though I complain, I still enjoy (most) of the show.
    I do, too. For me, it's a lot like watching a graphic novel brought to the small screen. I look forward to each new episode and usually watch it again during the following week on HBOGO, because I've usually missed something.

I know this series is an outrageous disappointment to people who love the Southern Vampire Mysteries, but I am not one of them. I did manage to listen to an audio of Book !, but only barely. This isn't the kind of book I want to read. But the show is very entertaining for me and I'm delighted to know it will be back for another season.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Tommy may have redeemed himself tonight after that Maxine skin-walking bit. That was freakin' hilarious. His cussin' and a'curssin' was just too much for me not to laugh. The Sookie/Eric pretense of a shower scene totally disappointed this book reader, and the end show-down was all kinds of cheese....Velveeta, Cheez Wiz, and whatever is "American" at Subway. But I do have a Subway addiction, so I'll be back for more next week!

Oh, and the use of Siouxsie's "Spellbound" on the closing credits was brilliant. One week ending on a Neko song and one ending on a Souxsie song, there's not much they can do to turn me away. I'm a sucker (pun intended) for my life-long favs.
    2boysmom likes this.

+ Reply to Thread