+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Jason inherited or his grandmother gave him their parents house. Sookie inherited her grandmother's house. In fact Sookie and Jason had a big fight over Sookie inheriting their grandmother's house as Jason felt that their grandmother's possessions should have been divided equally between them. Sookie had to remind him that he already had their parents house and possessions. There was a scene where Jason took some silver candlesticks out of house. Their grandmother knew that Jason could be a it of a wastrel and greedy and she wanted Sookie to have her fair share.

Regardless, if the house had originally been in the grandmother's name. It became Sookie's after the grandmother died. Depending what the state laws are, if Sookie died without a will her remaining possessions would have somehow been divided among her remaining family. Again this depends what the laws are in the state you are living. My main point is that normally people are not declared dead when they have only been missing for a year. That is not enough time. Insurance companies normally wait 7 years before declaring someone dead if there is no body.
    Here if there's no will the house goes to probate and if no family members pay for the probate then no family members get the house and it goes to tax forfeit and what not (since usually in those cases no one is paying for taxes either).

If the house was willed to Sookie and in her name alone then realistically I find it pretty unbelievable that Jason was able to sell the house with in a year (since as you said there is no body). However if they never changed the name on the house (which is also not unheard of here) then technically he could claim the grandmother had died and there was a body and sell it out from under Sookie (but again the paperwork involved in that would likely take much more than a year) and it would again involve some degree of probate.

Either way what plot point does selling the house serve. I always liked that she owned the house in the book. I won't be watching this until next year when it comes out on DVD and will likely have the same question then as well. Basically what was the point of it in the story of the show?

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Here if there's no will the house goes to probate and if no family members pay for the probate then no family members get the house and it goes to tax forfeit and what not (since usually in those cases no one is paying for taxes either).

If the house was willed to Sookie and in her name alone then realistically I find it pretty unbelievable that Jason was able to sell the house with in a year (since as you said there is no body). However if they never changed the name on the house (which is also not unheard of here) then technically he could claim the grandmother had died and there was a body and sell it out from under Sookie (but again the paperwork involved in that would likely take much more than a year) and it would again involve some degree of probate.

Either way what plot point does selling the house serve. I always liked that she owned the house in the book. I won't be watching this until next year when it comes out on DVD and will likely have the same question then as well. Basically what was the point of it in the story of the show?
    Guess you have not seen episode 2? When Sookie owned the house she could keep Bill and Eric and other vampires out of her house by not inviting them in. Now that Eric owns the house Sookie can not keep him out of it. Or like Eric says it " I own the house and I own you".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Guess you have not seen episode 2? When Sookie owned the house she could keep Bill and Eric and other vampires out of her house by not inviting them in. Now that Eric owns the house Sookie can not keep him out of it. Or like Eric says it " I own the house and I own you".
    I won't be seeing any of the episodes until they come out on DVD. I weight my viewing of the DVD's based on spoilers from here basically.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

As a Louisiana lawyer who occasionally dabbles in probate law, it did bug me that Jason could sell the house. Even if the grandmother's will had not been probated to clear title to Sookie, that would have to be done first to clear up Sookie's succession, which would have to be five years after she went missing. But I can't watch any show with my lawyer hat on, lest I never watch anything. The sale to Eric bothered me on a different level--like said upthread, Sookie always owned her house as a point of pride in the books. I don't really see how changing that is necessary.

I just finished re-reading the 4th book, and I can definitely see why they'd have to change some stuff up. I realized that the first half is pretty much Sookie driving around. And given Alan Ball's proclivity for wanting multiple story lines, I really wish he would have found a place for Kevin and Kenya to round out the police force as at least somewhat competent.

Did anyone notice that when the head witch Marnie was in full cursing Eric mode that another face was superimposed on top of hers? I am thinking that that might be a avenging spirit of a witch that perhaps the vampires were behind in getting burned at the stake during the inquisition or some other time. Just supposing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    As a Louisiana lawyer who occasionally dabbles in probate law, it did bug me that Jason could sell the house. Even if the grandmother's will had not been probated to clear title to Sookie, that would have to be done first to clear up Sookie's succession, which would have to be five years after she went missing. But I can't watch any show with my lawyer hat on, lest I never watch anything. The sale to Eric bothered me on a different level--like said upthread, Sookie always owned her house as a point of pride in the books. I don't really see how changing that is necessary.

I just finished re-reading the 4th book, and I can definitely see why they'd have to change some stuff up. I realized that the first half is pretty much Sookie driving around. And given Alan Ball's proclivity for wanting multiple story lines, I really wish he would have found a place for Kevin and Kenya to round out the police force as at least somewhat competent.
    I have a feeling we (posters) could probably beat that particular point to death, while Alan Ball simply wanted a way to have Eric intimidate Sookie just to move along a plot point. Still if a producer wants to do that fine but don't distort real life so much that fans/posters are going "wait a minute, that doesn't make sense". Alan Ball did a bad thing in the world of theater and film he broke the audiences "sense of disbelief" with a that stupid plot twist to the point I and some other posters are bringing it up as a crappy plot twist instead of enjoying the episode. Bad, bad, Alan for spoiling our fun. Where's my rotten tomato, I want to throw it at him.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Maybe this is not a "bad theater thing," but the way Sookie gets her Gran's house back. Maybe her lawyer (whom we've met) will challenge the illegal sale and win. Perhaps one of Eric's "friends in high places" (one of the ones whose name Bill cannot disclose) facilitated the sale for him.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Did anyone notice that when the head witch Marnie was in full cursing Eric mode that another face was superimposed on top of hers? I am thinking that that might be a avenging spirit of a witch that perhaps the vampires were behind in getting burned at the stake during the inquisition or some other time. Just supposing.
    Oooo, I like that idea. I paused my TV and was able to see the other face - a woman younger than the witch, but not young. She had dramatic eyebrows and a prettier face.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

In the first episode, Marnie channeled Eddie. She sounded just like him. She had no memory of doing it. So, with that in mind, I took her cursing of Eric as her channeling someone from the past who spoke in Latin as she cursed him. It is not something Marnie had control over or has any memory of doing.

I related it back to the Inquisition remark Eric made to Bill. I am thinking that the face superimposed over Marnie's was of someone powerful from the era of the Inquisition (a witch?) who was able to take control of or curse a vampire using Marnie as channeler. Maybe with Lafayette's power in the circle, the person doing the cursing was also coming through visually on Marnie's face.

Marnie's chant was a variation from the "Jesuitic Grimoire":

Iam tibi impero et praecipio maligne spiritus! ut
    confestim hinc a me et summa illa pecuniarum allata et
    circulo discedas, absque omni strepito, terrore, clamore
    et foetore, absque omni damno mei tam animae quam
    corporis, absque omni laesione cujuscunque creaturae vel
    rei; et ad locum a justissimo Deo tibi deputatum in
    momento et ictu oculi abeas

A rough translation of the whole text would be:

Now I command and admonish you, o evil spirit, to
    quickly depart from here [and] from me once you bring me that money [treasure]
    [and] from the circle depart, without any noise, terror, ruckus
    and stench, without any harm to me either of soul or
    body, without hurting any creature or
    thing; and go away to the place appointed to you by God
    instantly and in a blink of an eye.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 07-06-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Thanks for that translation Poppy. I was wondering what Marnie was saying to ERic, knew it was Latin but that was it. Now Eric looks different, less vamp more lost puppy.

+ Reply to Thread