+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Could Bubba have been cut because of the cost to pay the estate for use of likeness that Bubba is based on? I always suspected that was the real reason. Though I really like Bubba.

Back to the entirely too many characters. In the books I actually have difficulty with the constant introduction of characters and then using someone in one book and they show up a couple books later and I find myself going "who?" because I can't keep track of them. I find myself doing that with the show sometimes too but just because of the sheer number of characters with names and story lines. Some people just need to be in the background.
    I think you have it right causingchaos. Still, the producers could have strategically shown Bubba in shadow or dark profile or back-lit and that would have been OK.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That's one of the biggest problems I had with season 3. I'm okay with him expanding story lines. You have to when you're adapting books that are told in first person. What I don't understand is fundamentally changing characters when it doesn't really serve the story. There was NO reason to change Calvin and it was, imo, more complex and layered to have him be a decent, honorable man. Plus, now we'll miss out on the scene where
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie is forced to break Calvin's hand when Crystal cheats on Jason, which I thought was a really powerful moment.

I sort of agree with you about Marnie, although I love Fiona Shaw. Making her seem unaware of the magic she does - as if she's under a trance - seems like a cop out to me. That character is EVIL in the books, which is much more interesting and menacing that someone who has no idea what she's doing and is generally meek and mild. It make for a much less formidable and scary baddie.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bored (understatement) with Tara. As I'm sure I said somewhere upthread, there's a reason Tara is a MINOR character in the books - she's boring as hell! I'm sure Rutina Wesley is a very nice person, but every time I see her, I hear Jon Lovitz as Master Thespian on SNL crying "ACTING!!!.

I'm intrigued by the evil baby story too. Is Arlene just a complete nutter or is she right? How could any child of Rene's be sane? I do love Terry a lot and that's mainly because Todd Lowe is just so great. His scene in last season's finale where he talked about being normal when he moved in with Arlene was one of my favorites.

For those who have read the books and haven't seen episode 2 yet, the scene that opens the book and starts the major storyline of the book is at the end of episode 2

In this season, more than any other so far, I'm going to really miss Bubba. Does anyone know why AB left him out of the series?
    I wonder if later we will see the true character of Marnie. I too don't like it when they totally change the character.

Thanks for telling about the ending of ep 2, the way the trailers were teasing us I had high expectations that in the premiere episode that the opening scene would have been of Eric running naked on the road and when that didn't happened I guess the rest of the episode went down hill for me. I am not spoiling this, this is what they were showing in the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Thanks for telling about the ending of ep 2, the way the trailers were teasing us I had high expectations that in the premiere episode that the opening scene would have been of Eric running naked on the road and when that didn't happened I guess the rest of the episode went down hill for me. I am not spoiling this, this is what they were showing in the trailers.
    Okay, apparently we both have dirty minds because I remembered Eric as being naked in that scene in the book too. When I was browsing through the book earlier though, I found that he's shirtless in jeans, which is how they have him dressed in the scene in epi 2. I like our version better.
    buglover and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There were jeans in the book? I could have sworn he was naked in the book version, too. Ah, well, wishful thinking of women everywhere.
    2boysmom likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    There were jeans in the book? I could have sworn he was naked in the book version, too. Ah, well, wishful thinking of women everywhere.
    He was naked in the book.

He really wasn't:
    [from page 15]"A running man: At three in the morning on January first....I had a moment to notice that the man was tall, blond, and clad only in blue jeans, before I pulled up by him.....in that moment I realized who he was. I leaped out of the car and took off after him. 'Eric!' I yelled. 'It's me!'"
    Thankfully for many of us (), was definitely naked at other points during the book, but not in that scene.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hmmm, I remember him naked in the book too during that chapter! Great minds must think alike!

Finally caught the first 2 episodes today and "snap" just like that, I'm hooked again!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Thank God I never read these books. I love this show, and judging from the volume of posts negatively comparing the show to the books, it seems they would have spoiled that for me.
    I read the books and loved them.

And I love the show.

It's possible, if you treat them somewhat like separate stories using the same characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Minney View Post
    Hmmm, I remember him naked in the book too during that chapter! Great minds must think alike!

Finally caught the first 2 episodes today and "snap" just like that, I'm hooked again!
    If it makes you all feel better I thought he was running around naked too... but I'll take shirtless.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Okay, apparently we both have dirty minds because I remembered Eric as being naked in that scene in the book too. When I was browsing through the book earlier though, I found that he's shirtless in jeans, which is how they have him dressed in the scene in epi 2. I like our version better.
    I seriously thought he was naked, too. I wonder why we all thought that?

Ok...I just watched episodes 1 and 2 back to back and wow. I agree about the first episode. Too many things happening but there were some really good parts. Forgive me if any of my comments get confused between episodes. It was one giant episode for me...lol.

Sam's new girlfriend is gorgeous. I don't mind her but I hope we aren't going to be seeing the rest of their dinner party every week. Tommy needs to take a hike. And I can't believe that Hoyts momma basically replaced him with Tommy. Hilarious! Arlene....when she said "what baby does that"? My husband said "all of them". Speaking of the baby....they couldn't have gotten a cuter kid. He's adorable. Which probably means he really is going to be evil. And I agree about the actor who plays Terry. He's terrific. He played Laynes husband on Gilmore Girls and I adored his character. I adore him now.

FairyLand was weird. So unlike the books and I really wish they'd stuck to the books as far as that storyline is concerned. And they closed the portal right off the bat. So why bother even having it? Bill as King is weird. I don't know if I like it or not yet. I'll let you know later. Although seeing him in eyeliner and blue nail polish was funny..

Tara's hair looks great. I like the actress, but I wish she weren't so weird. In the books she's pretty normal. I'd prefer her to just be Sookie's friend instead of giving her all these stupid storylines. LaFayette is my second favorite character behind Eric but I'm not digging Jesus. Bleh. You just know he's going to suck LaF into something horrible. *sigh*. I don't remember Marnie from the books. Seriously. No idea why but she doesn't ring a bell at all. The only witch that does is the blonde who worked for Sam and the one who ends up being Sookie's friend. But I agree..she's weird. Hell of an actress though because I believed her performance. LOL....Hoyt and Jessica...when they were fighting over the eggs I asked my husband...did they get married? Haha! Hotshot...bleh. I don't like how they are doing any of that.

I get they want to change things and make it more edgy for HBO but some things were perfect in the book and didn't need to be spiced up or changed altogether. Like skipping a whole year. Couldn't a couple of months sufficed?

And yes, Eric looked good enough to eat in episode 2. Especially when Sookie found him wandering around. His hair..omg. Yum.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread