+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

I didn't get to see the epi because I am not at home but from what you all have said, I can wait until next week when I get back. It sounds like too much has happened during the break from the show and they are trying to cram it all into one season. I read somewhere that Eric has amnesia? Does this happen in the books as well?
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'm on board for the HBO version. I read the books, including the most recent, and I enjoyed them somewhat but I do get tired of knowing everything Sookie wears, eats, how she does her hair, the state of her tan, who orders burgers in the bar, or whether she buys groceries that day. (Maybe I'm just worn out from the last book in the series I read, which seemed to be this on repeat for 300 pages.)
    waywyrd likes this.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was not that thrilled with the first epi. It really was too many characters and too much crammed into one episode. And yes Buglover in the books Eric doesn't get amnesia at some point.

I've been watching on DVD and got up to the last season of course. I also read the books. My main complaint that is shared between the two of them is waaaay too many characters and way too many of these side storylines that dominate. It's a shared trait I feel between the book and the show.

I was hoping the show was going to pare it down to just some characters but they didn't. Instead they added some and the more over gave them substantial story lines... so can't deal with it and honestly I find myself fast forwarding through some of these side lines. Layfayette and Jesus last season? I couldn't have cared less... fast forward.

I liked book 4 the best too (after that they kind of went down hill for me). But I like the Eric relationship in that book best. Can anyone spoil me and tell me if they changed that in the show this season so far as in how it started and what not?

Also I always kind of looked Sookie owning her own home. That bums me out huge how that panned out.

I agree with all the comments about there being too many characters. Lose Sam's irritating brother, the Arlene nonsense (though I love Terry), and I wouldn't miss Tara or Jesus too much, either. Do we need a Sam and his new horsey girlfriend story? No. But - while the first episode was jumbled, the second one totally sucked me in. I'll be watching it several times this week, I'm sure.

Though I'll never get used to King Bill. King Bill? WTF?

And might I add that Eric looked absolutely delicious in the second epi.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was not that thrilled with the first epi. It really was too many characters and too much crammed into one episode. And yes Buglover in the books Eric doesn't get amnesia at some point.
    OOps! Meant to say Eric DOES get amnesia.

While there are lots of characters in the books, the author Charlaine Harris does not necessarily mention all of them in every book. In many of the books the author concentrates on a few key characters and plot lines. In the overall series the various characters have major and minor story arcs and I appreciate that. I just wish they would do that more in the TV series. I'm OK with never seeing Sam's brother, and less of Tara, less of Jessica and Holt, Andy too. What surprises me is that I am intrigued a bit about Arlene's demon child. That actually maybe a fun plot line.
    JavaJo likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Oh, I forgot to slam the witches coven...Marnie the leader, ugh...the vibe...just off...I liked that in the books they were mentioned but barely seen, they should do that with many of the characters and story lines, especially the Deliverance characters in Hotshot. I think is was totally demeaning of Alan Ball to reimagine Hotshot the way he did. Calvin Norris was a decent guy and decent to Sookie and looked what happened to him.
    That's one of the biggest problems I had with season 3. I'm okay with him expanding story lines. You have to when you're adapting books that are told in first person. What I don't understand is fundamentally changing characters when it doesn't really serve the story. There was NO reason to change Calvin and it was, imo, more complex and layered to have him be a decent, honorable man. Plus, now we'll miss out on the scene where
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie is forced to break Calvin's hand when Crystal cheats on Jason, which I thought was a really powerful moment.

I sort of agree with you about Marnie, although I love Fiona Shaw. Making her seem unaware of the magic she does - as if she's under a trance - seems like a cop out to me. That character is EVIL in the books, which is much more interesting and menacing that someone who has no idea what she's doing and is generally meek and mild. It make for a much less formidable and scary baddie.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bored (understatement) with Tara. As I'm sure I said somewhere upthread, there's a reason Tara is a MINOR character in the books - she's boring as hell! I'm sure Rutina Wesley is a very nice person, but every time I see her, I hear Jon Lovitz as Master Thespian on SNL crying "ACTING!!!.

I'm intrigued by the evil baby story too. Is Arlene just a complete nutter or is she right? How could any child of Rene's be sane? I do love Terry a lot and that's mainly because Todd Lowe is just so great. His scene in last season's finale where he talked about being normal when he moved in with Arlene was one of my favorites.

For those who have read the books and haven't seen episode 2 yet, the scene that opens the book and starts the major storyline of the book is at the end of episode 2

In this season, more than any other so far, I'm going to really miss Bubba. Does anyone know why AB left him out of the series?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Could Bubba have been cut because of the cost to pay the estate for use of likeness that Bubba is based on? I always suspected that was the real reason. Though I really like Bubba.

Back to the entirely too many characters. In the books I actually have difficulty with the constant introduction of characters and then using someone in one book and they show up a couple books later and I find myself going "who?" because I can't keep track of them. I find myself doing that with the show sometimes too but just because of the sheer number of characters with names and story lines. Some people just need to be in the background.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Thank God I never read these books. I love this show, and judging from the volume of posts negatively comparing the show to the books, it seems they would have spoiled that for me.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 06-28-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    Hyper likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread