+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

An article with four clips from the next two episodes (3 from epi 2 and 1 from epi 3): True Blood Sneak Peeks: Will Sookie Let Eric Pull Her Strings? - TVLine - TVLine
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I loved the premiere episode, and thought the pace was exciting. Unburdened as I am with literary comparisons, I reveled in the opportunity to catch up with the storylines, most of which I really like. Inasmuch as Bill was revealed as just too creepy for boyfriend material in the last season, I rather liked Sookie reminding him that he's unwelcome in her life (at least at the moment). And I'm looking forward to seeing how the Sookie-Eric relationship develops.

Tara's remark that she's "better off here" makes me wonder how long it will take for her to come home again to the people she still loves. Lafayette's sense of humor cracked me up in his dramatic moments and I loved Jessica telling Pam off in the ladies room. Andy hooked on V? OMG, priceless. The decapitated Barbies made me laugh, too. My brothers were always switching the heads on my Barbs - and Ken and Skipper, too.

And Eric being the new owner of Sookie's home? I didn't see that coming!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Eh, I wasn't thrilled with this first episode- I thought it was pretty slow. Bill is the king??!!?? They have sufficiently veered from the books enough that I now consider them separate, which really stinks b/c the 4th book was my favorite. The best part was hearing Eric bought the house. I got a good laugh at that. Am looking forward to epis 2 since some of you have said its better. I think I'll talk DH into watching that tonight...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Ugh...what have they done with the show. I didn't like the premiere at all. As much as I always realized that this show was a departure of "The Southern Vampire" book series and enjoyed Alan Ball's vision of the show as seen by other characters besides Sookie I felt as if the premiere episode has " jumped the shark". It's one year later, Sookie's house has been sold and remodeled, looks as if Sam's brother is permanently crippled, yeah right a crippled shapeshifter, Sam with a group of shifters, where did they all come from, shifters are rare among the two natured, I don't mind Tara as a cage fighter or in a lesbian relationship, but Jason as a deputy, loved the goatee though, I could handle all those changes but what really got me was Bill as King. Please, that is too much. Total yuck festival.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I loved the premiere episode, and thought the pace was exciting. Unburdened as I am with literary comparisons, I reveled in the opportunity to catch up with the storylines, most of which I really like. Inasmuch as Bill was revealed as just too creepy for boyfriend material in the last season, I rather liked Sookie reminding him that he's unwelcome in her life (at least at the moment). And I'm looking forward to seeing how the Sookie-Eric relationship develops.

Tara's remark that she's "better off here" makes me wonder how long it will take for her to come home again to the people she still loves. Lafayette's sense of humor cracked me up in his dramatic moments and I loved Jessica telling Pam off in the ladies room. Andy hooked on V? OMG, priceless. The decapitated Barbies made me laugh, too. My brothers were always switching the heads on my Barbs - and Ken and Skipper, too.

And Eric being the new owner of Sookie's home? I didn't see that coming
    !
    That I did see coming, it's a sneaky Eric thing that he would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    And Eric being the new owner of Sookie's home? I didn't see that coming!
    As soon as Eric told her that he'd never given up on her, I knew he'd bought the house. It's just the sort of thing Eric would do.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't thrilled. It's not just that they've veered from the books so much, it's also that there is just TOO much going on and I don't care about many of the story lines. I remember feeling this way about the premiere of season 3 as well - they're trying to cram too much into the episode. Sorry, but not every one of the characters needs to have their own story line. In all the years of Cheers, how much did we ever see Norm's life...or Cliff's? (sorry, not a great comparison, but still) Some characters are meant to be supporting.

One of the videos in the link I posted above has a little scene with Bill and Jessica. Watching it made me realize that I ONLY like Bill when he's in scenes with Jessica. The rest of the time = ICK.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

ITA. In the first episode, not only did they cram every character in with an updated story line, they added a ton of new characters: Tara's girlfriend, Sam's three shifter friends, the half-dozen or so coven people, and the slew of people in the fairy land. That's a LOT of new characters all at once and why the first episode felt kind of disjointed to me.

My only other gripe is the "Andy's addicted to V" story--it kind of feels like we've been down a very similar road with him in the first season when he was drinking too much. That being said, I still remain much encouraged by the second episode.
    Last edited by PhoneGrrrl; 06-27-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Oh, I forgot to slam the witches coven...Marnie the leader, ugh...the vibe...just off...I liked that in the books they were mentioned but barely seen, they should do that with many of the characters and story lines, especially the Deliverance characters in Hotshot. I think is was totally demeaning of Alan Ball to reimagine Hotshot the way he did. Calvin Norris was a decent guy and decent to Sookie and looked what happened to him.

I need to get this out...GET RID OF TARA. So she left town, let her stay gone. What is the point of that stupid cage fighter/freshly-minted lesbian storyline? She needs to be gone, pronto. And she can take her cousin with her. I've always liked Lafayette, but the witch thing is silly.

I agree about too many new characters. Unnecessary...stick with the good stuff. More Eric, more Pam, more vampires.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Hokaaay... So, Tara is a lesbian now? Or Bi? And a cage fighter? I always liked that the fleshed her character out more in the show than they did in the books. But this whole thing just seems sort of a cheap titillation. "Let's have poor confused Tara make out with chicks for a while."

Bill being king of Louisiana I actually don't mind that much. I'm of the ilk that would have preferred Princess Leia hook up with Luke rather than Han (pre-brother/sister plot twist), and Sookie not hooking up with Bill never sat right with me. But when I heard on the forums that Anna & Stephen were pushing to keep Bill & Sookie together, I bristled. So I'm good with them making him more of a jerk.

LOL - I have to say, I'm really glad they didn't show more of the Season 3 finale Bill/Queen fight. Him levitating was such a "Give me a freaking break - where did THAT come from?!?!?" moment that I was really hoping they would just drop it.

+ Reply to Thread