+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

HBO's running a season 1 marathon right now. They're on episode 4. I can't believe how long ago it seems!

ETA: My mistake - it's a series marathon. 36 hours of TB. The problem? The best episodes (much of season 2) will be in the middle of the night!
    Last edited by Critical; 06-18-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like Season 1 however as I'm watching it I realize how much I miss Eric being in it!! Season 1 has some good looking people but man Season 2 has the most beautiful of them all!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

So I watched the 10-minute "season 4 sneak preview" on HBO Canada last night, and came away thinking, "WTF?!?!??" Are we going to be spending the next few months in Fae-ry-land? Where were the friggin' vampires??
    buglover likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just saw some preview on Extra I think where it was all discussing Arlene and her evil baby??? I could totally live without that story line all the way.

Other wise it looks alright to me. I won't see it until next summer when it's out on DVD. Hope for many spoilers here as I won't pay to watch it on a website either or download anything fishy to do it.

But generally it looked similar to the book which made me feel ok about it.

I think the preview is HBO's way of trying to placate viewers with a long preview without showing us any of the good stuff. It seems like they're being really generous by releasing 8 minutes of footage, but it's not from the storylines we all want to see. Of course they aren't going to show us Eric! That's what we really want to see!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

The preview I saw (non-HBO) showed Eric. Not extensively but at the initial meeting where the book starts out.

HBO on demand has been showing the first 8 minutes of the season premier and most of us are disappointed and excited at the same time. 5 more days!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Woot! Season 2 starts in about a minute! I just finished watching season 3 and boy, it sure sucked. Still, I have high hopes for the season, although I have a feeling it won't get good for a few weeks. I'm going to remain optimistic because Charlaine Harris sure gave Alan Ball a lot of good stuff to work with for this season.

I'll definitely be checking out episode 2 on HBO Go later tonight too

ETA: I have to say, I'm thrilled that Jessica Tuck has been bumped to series regular! I loved her as Megan on One Life to Live about a hundred years ago. One gripe already: why is Alexander Skarsgard not third billed? He's behind Rutina Wesley (and Sam Trammel and Ryan Kwanten)? I don't get it.
    Last edited by Critical; 06-26-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I have to admit I wasn't so hot on the first episode, but the second one was on HBO On Demand (I still can't get HBO GO to work for me) so I blazed through it as well and loved it. So now I'm hooked in and have to wait 2 weeks for a new episode! At least it gives me time to re-read Dead To The World on my flights this week. I know the show diverges greatly from the book, which is cool and all, but I read it when it came out in 2004 and my memory is a bit murky.

All I'm going to say about the first episode is Gary Cole? Completely unexpected casting!

I thought the first episode was just too frenetic. They were trying to catch up with EVERYONE in the cast and that's just too many people (for the episode and the show).

I thought the Tara storyline could have gone away and I don't care about Tommy either. WAY too much time in fairyland, which looks like "When Willy Wonka Met Maxfield Parrish." Just kind of a waste of SO much time when all I wanted was to get back to Bon Temps and see the vamps. I'm glad Sam found some other shifters to talk to, but I don't know that I want to see all that much more with them. The Jessica/Hoyt stuff is a little old too and I like both of them. I love Fiona Shaw, so the witch scenes were good. I'm not so sure I care about Jesus though. He's turned a bit bland for me.

ITA PG - the second episode looks MUUUUCH better and bodes well for episode 3 as well. For fans of the books,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the end of episode 2 is when Sookie comes upon Eric wandering on the side of the road with amnesia. Oh, and also, I read an interview with Alex Skarsgard and they DID film the shower scene!

I'm up in the air with how I feel about it. The last two premieres have been weak because Alan Ball seems to be adding TOO MANY characters. Yes, the books needed to be expanded because they're first person from Sookie's POV, but I don't think it was necessary to give EVERY "supporting" character their own storyline (and change the ones from the book, some of which I thought were pretty darned good). Really, who's on the cover of every magazine story about the show? Sookie-Eric-Bill. That's who they should focus on....especially Sookie and Eric

Oh and....BILL is the King of Louisiana!? LAME.

One more thing - we see 850 characters and they can't spare 10 seconds for Alcide? WTF? They should have just had him wander, shirtless, in the background of various scenes!
    JavaJo likes this.

+ Reply to Thread