+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: True Blood (HBO)

That should be the book thread topic, yeah!
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 06-07-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

As long as people aren't revealing future spoilers from the books, they're more than welcome to discuss the books as they relate to the show. It's a TV series based on a very popular series of books. Some discussion of the books is inevitable and expected.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

Poppy,
    There is a lot of book spillover to the True Blood thread, but honestly, if you're a reader, you should pick up the first book in the series, and give it a shot. I started with True Blood first, and I think that was better because I didn't have a preconceived notion of who Sookie should end up with. I can understand how the book lovers were irritated with the turn of events. But, the books are fantastic. It's like getting an alternate universe transfusion of True Blood stories. It's especially satisfying during the True Blood hiatus.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Not the same actor, although they do resemble each other a bit.
    Wow, I am usually really good with identifying actors and I could have sworn they were the same guy! Thanks for pointing our my error!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Wow, I am usually really good with identifying actors and I could have sworn they were the same guy! Thanks for pointing our my error!!
    I was going to say they could be father and son, but they're actually really close in age. James Frain has not aged well.

I can't believe we still have TWO weeks until the premiere. Frankly, the preview of the beginning of the episode isn't making me feel very optimistic. All the fairy stuff is just silly. I wanted the show to start where the book started and I get the feeling (based on the other trailers) that they'll be working up to that storyline and we won't see it for a few weeks at least.

Also, I want Bubba!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just watched the first 6 minutes of the new season on demand. Meh, it really didn't do much for me except it seems Sookie figures out they aren't as nice as they seem to be.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Thanks for the recommendation, Kiz. I am always reading at least one book, but fantasy fiction doesn't generally appeal to me. I do like SciFi, though. And I love watching this series.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, Kiz. I am always reading at least one book, but fantasy fiction doesn't generally appeal to me. I do like SciFi, though. And I love watching this series.
    You're welcome, Poppy. They're a quick and fun read, but I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, or should I say synthetic blood.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I highly recommend listening to the audio books while commuting or walking as an alternative to reading the books.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I highly recommend listening to the audio books while commuting or walking as an alternative to reading the books.
    What a great idea! I have two very long drives coming up this summer, and I would love to listen to the stories.

+ Reply to Thread