+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;4059960;
    Exactly, as a season finale, it didn't deliver. It seemed no different than a mid-season type episode to me.

I do admit I liked Episode 11 though. Unlike probably most of you guys, I prefer the slower, simpler episodes to the episodes with 12 different storylines happening at once, which has kind of been what's been happening most of this season

And I have to ask this again--was Calvin a big character in the books, and did he die in the books as well? If not, then it's truly a shame AB killed him off without much relevancy to the show.
    I know what you're saying. Maybe I'm so happy about last night's episode because this season has been less than stellar? IDK...

I also completely agree re: the slower, simpler episodes. I was complaining about that a few episodes ago--I feel like we didn't get anywhere this season b/c there was too much focus on the characters who didn't mean anything and not enough on the main characters' storylines. It was so frustrating! I definitely hope that's something they're fixing. Send Tara out of town--buh-bye. Maybe Tommy got taken out--adios! We've already heard we won't see Arlene too much. And Calvin got the boot (er, bullet) as well.

Soo...I'm hoping that means they took care of 3 secondary characters storylines that they spent too much time on this season. Remaining secondary characters include Jason/Crystal (who have a storyline based on the books), Lafayette/Jesus (who will be part of the witches storyline), Sam/Merlottes (who have to remain because Sookie needs a place to work when she finally decides she needs some $$), Jessica/Hoyt (because they're fun and we'd miss them!) and then Alcide in some capacity, though I don't see him being around too much. As long as they don't focus too much on the witches and tie these secondary characters back in with Sookie, Eric, and Bill, then we'll be good to go.

I saw this episode as one of resolution and closure. The cliffhangers aren't big ones but I still get the feeling that big changes are heading to Bon Temps...

Re: your question about Calvin - I found him more honorable and respectful in the books. He wasn't a piece of trash who treated people poorly and who you wouldn't miss when he was gone. They did his book character a disservice in the show. I'm happy he's gone b/c I was getting tired of cringing and thinking "Calvin wouldn't do that!" during the show. Such a waste of a character. (I admit for a couple of minutes, I did expect him to turn into a panther to heal himself. Oh well.)
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4060186;
    I know what you're saying. Maybe I'm so happy about last night's episode because this season has been less than stellar? IDK...

I also completely agree re: the slower, simpler episodes. I was complaining about that a few episodes ago--I feel like we didn't get anywhere this season b/c there was too much focus on the characters who didn't mean anything and not enough on the main characters' storylines. It was so frustrating! I definitely hope that's something they're fixing. Send Tara out of town--buh-bye. Maybe Tommy got taken out--adios! We've already heard we won't see Arlene too much. And Calvin got the boot (er, bullet) as well.

Soo...I'm hoping that means they took care of 3 secondary characters storylines that they spent too much time on this season. Remaining secondary characters include Jason/Crystal (who have a storyline based on the books), Lafayette/Jesus (who will be part of the witches storyline), Sam/Merlottes (who have to remain because Sookie needs a place to work when she finally decides she needs some $$), Jessica/Hoyt (because they're fun and we'd miss them!) and then Alcide in some capacity, though I don't see him being around too much. As long as they don't focus too much on the witches and tie these secondary characters back in with Sookie, Eric, and Bill, then we'll be good to go.

I saw this episode as one of resolution and closure. The cliffhangers aren't big ones but I still get the feeling that big changes are heading to Bon Temps...

Re: your question about Calvin - I found him more honorable and respectful in the books. He wasn't a piece of trash who treated people poorly and who you wouldn't miss when he was gone. They did his book character a disservice in the show. I'm happy he's gone b/c I was getting tired of cringing and thinking "Calvin wouldn't do that!" during the show. Such a waste of a character. (I admit for a couple of minutes, I did expect him to turn into a panther to heal himself. Oh well.)
    I liked Calvin in the books and he was honorable and respectful and Alan Bell and True Blood did a major disservice to the character and a subplot that runs through at least 3 books. I like how in Sookie's world she felt so isolated and a misfit that she was so grateful to find love with Bill and that it opened her to be able to function and participate in the world and that there were men in the world that did find her attractive and Sookie also grows as a person both as a human and a supernatural.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well I have to admit that the finale blew chucks....and I'm the woman that liked Heroes so you know my standards aren't very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4059990;
    I thought she said she was washing Reuben out of her hair?
    Finally watched - Pam did say "washing cement out of her hair", and it was inferred that she was called by Eric to dig him out.

There were two moments I cracked up -

"Here you go, Uncle Daddy Calvin", right after Jason's comment calling out the bad dental hygiene of the cat litter.

Russell's eyeroll and gag when he was listening to Alcide and Sookie flirt, in all of his crusty glory...classic.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;4060521;
    Finally watched - Pam did say "washing cement out of her hair", and it was inferred that she was called by Eric to dig him out.

There were two moments I cracked up -

"Here you go, Uncle Daddy Calvin", right after Jason's comment calling out the bad dental hygiene of the cat litter.

Russell's eyeroll and gag when he was listening to Alcide and Sookie flirt, in all of his crusty glory...classic.
    You're right, I got a chance to watch it again last night and that is what she said.

It's been awhile since I've read the books, but didn't Calvin have a thing for Sookie for a little while (as do all supernatural men apparently )?

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luv4stephen;4060656;
    It's been awhile since I've read the books, but didn't Calvin have a thing for Sookie for a little while (as do all supernatural men apparently )?
    Yes. He asked her to marry him.

Add me to the list of people happier with him dead in AB's universe than the stereotypical trash he was written as.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;4060671;
    Yes. He asked her to marry him.

Add me to the list of people happier with him dead in AB's universe than the stereotypical trash he was written as.
    Charlaine Harris created Calvin as the patriach of a small minority struggling to survive, he was a honorable, respectable man who could have make a great husband for Sookie and Alan Ball totally ruined him making Calvin a grosteque stereotype of the inbred small town southern man.

Not to mention, there was nothing about Hotshot residents starving and having bad teeth, or being blank and stupid like they looked on the show. They were inbred so much that some of them looked more panther than human, and that's why they isolated themselves. I don't think a panther with access to the Louisiana swamps has any shortage of wildlife to feed on.

I think they took this plotline in a stupid direction. Jason is supposed to be their new leader? Give me a break. I try to just go with the flow on these differences from the books but I would love it if they went back to mostly a story about Sookie and let Jason and his hijinks go on in the background. That goes for Tara and Sam, too.

I also think Sookie went a personality change in this last episode what with suddenly hating both Bill and Eric in a "let's kill them" instead of a cutesy eyeroll way. I laughed when she was cackling over Talbot, but it seemed a little out of character to me.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4060879;
    I laughed when she was cackling over Talbot, but it seemed a little out of character to me.
    Totally agree. It was amusing, but Sookie can sometimes be almost gratingly old-fashioned in the books - heeding what her grandmother taught her about virtues, values, morals & manners.

But then again, in the books, she also turns into a near nympho at the thought of having sex with first Bill, then Eric. So she does have character traits that can be seemingly at odds with each other.

+ Reply to Thread