+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Boo i know i shouldnt have popped in to see what happened since im gonna watch it soon... but Lord I hope D is true lol
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4059697;
    What was on the floor of Jessica's and Hoyt's cottage. It looked like a doll or a hand wrapped in chains?
    I thought it was a doll, one of Hoyt's ex girlfriend's...forget her name.

I thought the finale sucked, to be quite honest. It had some interesting bits to it, but, I didn't think it delivered like a finale should have.

I hope Tara really does start over. So sick of her mopy self this past season. She looked good with her new 'do

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;4059734;
    I thought the finale sucked, to be quite honest. It had some interesting bits to it, but, I didn't think it delivered like a finale should have.
    I have to agree. It was pretty bad. The only real highlights for me were Sookie putting Talbots remains down the garbage disposal and seeing Alcide. Eric finally exposing Bill as a liar was good too. Other than that, it was all too much, too disjointed and too sloppy. It felt like episode 11 instead of episode 12. I think the problem with this episode can be summed up with two words: Alan Ball. While he's the creator of the show, he's a horrible writer and this episode is a clear example of that. He should have given it to Alexander Woo, who wrote last season's fabulous "Timebomb", or Nancy Oliver, who wrote "I Will Rise Up," which I think was flat-out the best episode this series.

There were just too many stories with lazy "cliffhangers" and it felt like it was just thrown together. Are we supposed to care if Sam shoots Tommy? The way Sam's been acting, I don't care what he does and Tommy has been nothing but a waste of air time. Tara? I'm over the victim thing. There's a reason she's a very minor character in the books. They've completely screwed up the whole Hotshot story and now they've killed Calvin? to all of it.

We saw Jessica for ONE scene and that's it? Plus, it was a total throw-away scene. Jessica went from needing to learn how to fight to being happy shacking up with Hoyt and having a tricked out hidey hole to sleep in? Please.

Don 't even get me started on the uber-cheesy "fight" sequence between Bill and the Queen. Just embarrassing.

Book 3 was my least favorite of the entire series, so maybe that has something to do with why I didn't really enjoy this season as much. Still, AB better work really hard to bring this show back up to the level of season 2 or I'm done. I'll go back and just re-read the books if I want my fix of Bon Temps.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4059735;

There were just too many stories with lazy "cliffhangers" and it felt like it was just thrown together. Are we supposed to care if Sam shoots Tommy? The way Sam's been acting, I don't care what he does and Tommy has been nothing but a waste of air time. Tara? I'm over the victim thing. There's a reason she's a very minor character in the books. They've completely screwed up the whole Hotshot story and now they've killed Calvin? to all of it.

We saw Jessica for ONE scene and that's it? Plus, it was a total throw-away scene. Jessica went from needing to learn how to fight to being happy shacking up with Hoyt and having a tricked out hidey hole to sleep in? Please.

Don 't even get me started on the uber-cheesy "fight" sequence between Bill and the Queen. Just embarrassing.

Book 3 was my least favorite of the entire series, so maybe that has something to do with why I didn't really enjoy this season as much. Still, AB better work really hard to bring this show back up to the level of season 2 or I'm done. I'll go back and just re-read the books if I want my fix of Bon Temps.

I have to agree. There were just way too many loose ends that they didn't tie up at all. Rather, they just kind of rushed a bunch of "cliffhangers" to set up for season 4. It felt more like an episode preparing for season 4 rather than wrapping up season 3.

I too didn't really care whether or not Sam shot Tommy and I'm not anxious to find out, either. Some of this stuff is getting way too cheesy for me. I bet Sam ends up not shooting Tommy anyway, so not much of a cliff hanger. And ending the season with Sookie poofing away with the fairies? Okay, not much of a cliffhanger there, either

Also, what's up with Maxine buying a rifle? I expected them to go somewhere with that, but they just left it at that (I'm assuming they'll pick that up next season.)

I heard Calvin's name thrown around a lot before he was introduced on the show; was he a big character in the books? Did he die in the books? He seemed kind of irrelevent to me on the show.

I'm a little bit interested in Tara's new storyline, in that it's at least a change away from her mopey self that I've grown incredibly tired of. But I also won't be disappointed if she really does end up "leaving" and playing just a minor role next season.

Also curious about the Lafayette/Jesus/witchcraft thing and where that goes.

I think it would have been better if the season at least ended with Eric getting concrete poured onto him and with Bill seeking to destroy anyone who knows about Sookie. That would have had me at least a little bit more antzy for next season, but not really. Instead we quickly learn that Eric and Pam are fine. And like you mentioned, the cheesy fight scene with the Queen (which was advertized in its entirety almost in the finale promos) doesn't have me at the edge of my seat.

I hate Bill, by the way It will be pitiful if he ends up killing the Queen.

In the books, Calvin is a quiet, honorable man who is sort of the patriarch of Hotshot. Hotshot in the books is less den of drug dealers and more secretive community of werepanthers who keep away from the rest of society. At one point, Calvin actually makes overtures to Sookie and she's a little tempted by his offer because he's a kind and stable man...even though she doesn't feel any real attraction to him.

I guess if they were going to create a completely different character with Calvin, then it's better that they just killed him off. Unfortunately, that rules out (possibly) the role Sookie plays in "disciplining" Crystal and Jason in Hotshot. I really liked that little storyline in the books.

Like I said, I just thought this episode was lazy storytelling and lazy writing, in general. The only part I liked was the first few scenes (and Eric's stuff) in Fangtasia. I like a good cliffhanger as much as anyone, but this episode had NO good cliffhangers. For me, it's only a good cliffhanger if I actually CARE what happens. I could care less about Tommy, Hoyt's mother, Jesus (sorry LaLa) and Tara. Really, there are just too many characters on this show and by trying to juggle story lines for all of them, the show has lost focus.

I love Lafayette, but I'm not happy with this whole Jesus storyline. I also love Alfre Woodard, and while I enjoyed the work she did this season, I also felt like they really didn't use her as much as they could have. I mean, if you get Alfre Woodard, you write LOTS of good material for her. It's a no-brainer.

I know I keep ranting, but I'm just so disappointed. This show used to be THE show of the week for me. Now, I'm actually happy this season is over because that means Dexter starts soon!

I think season 4 picks up right where this season left off, which doesn't really make me all that happy since I didn't like this season as much.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree, that was somewhat of a letdown last night. I couldn't care less about Tommy, and the storyline with Jason now on a mission to save Hotshot () is just beyond stupid. I hope he at least buys those people some new underwear, the dryrotted yellow thing they had going on was gross.

I do want to see how the witches play out next season, I guess Jesus will be a part of that. Book four was my favorite, so I have hope for the series yet...

And Eric still looked good covered in cement bits. Stupid Bill.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Sam as a badass killer? oh for the love of.. give me a break. Although if it gets rid of Tommy...

I.HATE.BILL. there I said it. I can't stand his macho over-protective BS. I really hope Sophie Ann kicks his butt (but doubt it - since AB apparently luvvvs the Sookie/Bill story).

The very best part of last night's show was Eric finally outing Bill to Sookie. 2nd best? buh bye Talbot! so great seeing Sookie get back some of her spine.

The rest? Hoyt/Jessica - wayy too short. I agree, there's something up about that doll.
    Lafayette/Jesus - well I do want to see more of the witches, but I like Lafayette better when's he's badass.
    Tara - omigod - go away NOW. Was her audition based on her chin quiver??
    Terry/Arlene- well, at least they didn't waste much time here.
    Calvin/Hotshot - what a waste of a perfectly good storyline. You wait - Jason is being set up as the savior/organizer/patriarch of this mess. HUGE waste of this guy.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

The best scene of the night...
    Talbot down the drain while Sookie giggles.

Where was the BIG death everyone was talking about? Was it supposed to be Russell?

Did anyone else think that Tara was going to commit suicide? Would anyone care?

The "intervention" for Hoyt was amusing.

Who runs Merlotte's when Sam is gone? Sookie has not been there in weeks. Holly was not even in the show tonight. Terry came in after Sam left. Just curious how his business stays open.

In the books, Jason lets the werepanthers use his land to run and hunt. I wonder if that is where he hid the people last night.

Overall not a good episode to keep the momentum going for another year.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Such a great episode last night!! So glad to see it back at its A game.

Sookie finally came back to her old self. Negotiating with Russell, finding Talbot and then dumping him and running the disposal (brilliant!)--I loved it all!!

Bill really threw me for a loop but I'm glad he did it b/c now the story is back to where it should be w/ Sookie so thoroughly hating him. (he-he!)

And Eric...HOW could he go against Godric, his own personal Obi-Wan??? That bummed me out a bit. I hope that doesn't mean we won't see Godric again. I would if that was the case. But I was glad Eric came to the door and told Sookie he thought she deserved the truth. 'Course, in those cases, the messenger always gets shot too. But the recap of Sookie saying she saw something in Eric with Godric on the roof...I'm hoping that was some sort of foreshadowing for next season and not just him negating that last night.

I know I'll need to see it again but for now, I'm not sorry to see Tara go (but I want to know why Sookie didn't 'read' her thinking this), Crystal obviously doesn't know Jason if she left him in charge of her 'relations', and looks like Lafayette is in for a fun ride next season...

AB's little chat at the end definitely whet my appetite for next season! I just hope we won't see a bunch of faeries skipping around...speaking of which -- was anyone else hoping that tall man walking towards Claudine was Claude?? All I could think was 'yes!' when he was walking towards them... ...but then he was just another faerie...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I thought this season started out as the best but then it got sloppy and disjointed and somewhat boring (ie: Sam's family). What happened to some of the storys they started and never finished? Like the high school guy on V? What happened to Arlene? They didn't even show her, just Terry crying on their steps.
    I kind of wish I hadn't read the books now because I am comparing them to the writing on the TV show which is very different.
    Well, I can't wait for season four to see what they do with all these cliffhangers.

+ Reply to Thread