+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4023678;
    ^ Yes, thank you Fierce, that helps alot! I'm going to read the books for sure now.
    I agree with pretty much everything Fierce said. The books will allow you to get to know the characters a little better and it will detail their social standings. Such as Alcide. The show hasn't really said much about him...just put him on screen and let him look pretty...which is totally fine by me! LOL But the books will clue you in on many things they can't fit into the show or convey on screen. Happy reading!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Personally, I couldn't read the books after starting to watch the show; I found the books boring. It's almost too much work (for me) to have to remember (and grouse) about the differences between the two. I think we're almost talking about 2 totally different things, here...the books vs. the show. If I've got to work that hard, somebody needs to be paying me.

I also want to say that I seem to remember that earlier in the show, Bill talked to Sookie about the bleeding that will start after being deprived of sleep for so long. Of course, that could have been the book, too. Somehow, I did know it, though....and not just from life, in general.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4023678;
    ^ Yes, thank you Fierce, that helps alot! I'm going to read the books for sure now.
    You're most welcome.

Enjoy the books.

The way I look at it is, I got to enjoy the characters and overall storyline twice - once in books, once onscreen. It's a good re-imagining of possible different lives the same characters might have "lived" if the books were written differently.

At this point, I can't get enough of Sookie, Bill, Eric, Pam, Lafayette, Tara, etc. Heck, bring on a movie version with an entirely different cast and totally new storyline! Bring on "The Southern Vampire Musical" on Broadway! Bring on the boardgame!

Yeah, I'm obsessed. I was reluctant to get involved with either the books or the TV show because I'm a vampire freak from way back, and tend to dislike modern interpretations of them (don't even bring up Twilight with me...). But now that I've steeped myself in Sookie's World, I just want more.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4023932;
    Personally, I couldn't read the books after starting to watch the show; I found the books boring. It's almost too much work (for me) to have to remember (and grouse) about the differences between the two. I think we're almost talking about 2 totally different things, here...the books vs. the show. If I've got to work that hard, somebody needs to be paying me.
    You're literally the only person I've encountered who didn't like the books!

A friend of mine described the books this way: "You sit down in a chair and start the first book and you don't get out of the chair until you've finished the last one!" I have to agree. I've read the series several times and I'm almost incapable of reading one without reading all of them.

I don't remember anything about the bleeding thing with vamps not getting sleep. I just remember them not being able to function without sleep. Remember when Sookie was trying to get everyone out of the hotel during the explosion and she could barely wake Eric up?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe if I had read the books before I started watching the show, it would be a totally different story. Another friend of mine couldn't get into them either, but I don't usually read these kinds of books anyway. I've always loved vampires, from the time I was a kid, but I never read a book about them; just didn't seem drawn to them. Give me the old (usually black and white) movies, anyday! They just did not 'capture' me. I get the impression that most people read the books before they started watching the show? The people who really got into the books are getting double the fun, though. I hate that I am not one of them!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4024313;
    A friend of mine described the books this way: "You sit down in a chair and start the first book and you don't get out of the chair until you've finished the last one!"
    I had the first 4 books for a few years before I even opened the first one. They were gifted to me by my sister for a Christmas years past, and I wasn't sure I even wanted to read them, period.

Once I did start reading them, I'd open one, read a little bit, intend to put it down and go to sleep.

I ended up reading each of them in almost a single sitting, every time. Sometimes staying up all night to reach the ending when I'd intended just to read for an hour or so.

I've definitely read better-written books. But rarely have I picked up a book and gotten so engrossed in it I just don't want to put it down - and didn't.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4024349;
    Maybe if I had read the books before I started watching the show, it would be a totally different story. Another friend of mine couldn't get into them either, but I don't usually read these kinds of books anyway. I've always loved vampires, from the time I was a kid, but I never read a book about them; just didn't seem drawn to them. Give me the old (usually black and white) movies, anyday! They just did not 'capture' me. I get the impression that most people read the books before they started watching the show? The people who really got into the books are getting double the fun, though. I hate that I am not one of them!
    I haven't read any of the books. I do watch (and love) the show. I did read all of the Anne Rice novels, which are extremely well written. I grew up in New Orleans, where her novels take their settings. I became interested in the imaginary realm of vampire culture reading her books. So, I guess I have no pre-conceived notions of the characters in True Blood. However, Sookie's near death experience in fae land was kind of nauseating. The dancing, in particular, was too childlike in concept for me to appreciate it.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 08-04-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4024373;
    Sookie's near death experience in fae land was kind of nauseating. The dancing, in particular, was too childlike in concept for me to appreciate it.
    Let me assure you that was not in the books! That was pretty damn ridiculous. Oh well, I think I'm going to chalk that up to "all a dream" and hope they don't go that route again.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Well as much as I enjoy Alan's vision.............. I don't think they compare to the fun I've had reading the books and doing my own visualizing. I am honestly thinking of dropping the series and just adhering to the stories I love (the books). Very disappointed in some things Alan is doing, but have enjoyed things not developed in the books...... so it really is a mixed basket - I am undecided. Maybe have to wait a few more shows before making such a critical decision.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I think I too, may be getting to the point of easing back from the series. Don't get me wrong- I love Lafayette, Russell and Mr. Eric Northman. And Lorena was a hoot.

Butttt...as this season goes along, it is more and more disappointing - I was really looking forward to the wolves, Alcide, etc. I find myself watching each week's epi the day after, so I can FF through Sam's BS, usually Jason's, and ANYTHING to do with Andy, Terry or Arlene.

Like others have said, give me VAMPIRES and lots of'em!!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread