+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Noticed in the credits that there were 2 puppeteers noted. Can somebody tell me what the puppeteers were used for?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4021103;
    Noticed in the credits that there were 2 puppeteers noted. Can somebody tell me what the puppeteers were used for?
    Just a guess, but I'd say dogs in the dogfight sequence. Possibly the dead ones thrown in a pile.

finallllly catching up - boy this summer is busy!

yes, I'd think the puppets were the dead dogs in the pile. had to fast forward- any hint of dog fighting (or any animal fighting) is extremely upsetting to me.

I definitely want a recall on the actress playing Claudine - she is nothing like the books. Not gorgeous, not tall, not even that mysterious. Kinda funny, but not in a good way

LOVE me some Russell! whoooeee can that guy chew up his scenes. Now if they had only cast a queen to match him...

Although the Magistrar wasn't in the books, I really liked him. sorry to see him go already.

Seems like Jason and Sam's storylines are definitely the weak points this season. Shame really - hope Jason's at least picks up soon. Couldn't care less about Sam's dumb ass family - boring.

I certainly hope AB does NOT keep Sookie and Bill together. She's got a lot of playing around to do!!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;4022085;

I definitely want a recall on the actress playing Claudine - she is nothing like the books. Not gorgeous, not tall, not even that mysterious. Kinda funny, but not in a good way

LOVE me some Russell! whoooeee can that guy chew up his scenes. Now if they had only cast a queen to match him...

Although the Magistrar wasn't in the books, I really liked him. sorry to see him go already.

Seems like Jason and Sam's storylines are definitely the weak points this season. Shame really - hope Jason's at least picks up soon. Couldn't care less about Sam's dumb ass family - boring.

I certainly hope AB does NOT keep Sookie and Bill together. She's got a lot of playing around to do!!
    ITA with everything you have said here! First, the Claudine they have cast looks old and unlike any fae I have ever imagined. I hope they don't play with this storyline too much and end up making it something that is was never intended to be (eg the maenad). I like when AB tweeks them and breathes new life into existing stories (and even creates some new ones) but sometimes it is taken too far and becomes one LONG BORE!

The dude that they cast as Russell Edgerton is an AMAZING actor. I know when a good villian has been cast because I simultaneously despise them while wanting more more more! It is such an odd reaction and I appreciate the King challenging me!

I think they would have benefitted more if the Queen had resembled the character in the book: now that was interesting, strange and a bit disturbing! Sophie-Anne could have made a killer character, unfortunately, as it stands, she's just a pretty tramp with an attitude.

The magistrar--would have been much more intriguing if we got into the power vacuum that produced him (And explored a while).

Sam's boring family: SUCKS. Jason's boring life: SUCKS.

I really wish they would focus more on the vamps and all their stories instead of feeling a need to incorporate so many small plots: tara, sam, andy, jason, terry, arlene, etc... in EVERY episode. The only guy I want to watch outside of Sookie and her little nest of HOT vampires is Lafayette, everyone else can leave town for all I care.

Finally, I want Sookie to explore all the men she does in the books and I think any efforts to push a Sookie/Bill forever love scenario on us would be a huge mistake! Sookie grows as a character through her many relationships and I think it would make great TV for us to see that on true blood. Plus, it is quite important that we see more of Eric's beauiful body (preferably 2-5x per episode).

Last edited by mindy384; 08-03-2010 at 01:00 PM.

I think AB is having a hard time coming up with stories for characters that had very thin storylines in the book, most notably Sam and Jason. I think he does okay embellishing Sookie's stories and Eric's too, because Charlaine gave him a lot of material to choose from. The exception would be Lafayette - I think they're doing a pretty good job with his storyline, considering he died in the first book!

In the books, Sam just breezes in and out of Sookie's storyline and we hear a bit about his family, who we don't meet and who are not at all like the ones on the show. Jason's relationship with Crystal is sort of similar, although the way AB is portraying Hotshot is ticking me off. The police storyline is ridiculous. I really like Jason - he has some of the best lines of the show - but they sort of seem at a loss as to what to do with him.

I'm happy they killed the magister. I like that actor, but I didn't like that change to the vampire power structure.

So, since they're having Russell Edgington marry Sophie-Anne, does that mean we won't see Peter Threadgill, the King of Arkansas? I loved that storyline and the ball in the mansion in New Orleans. I love Denis O'Hare and Russell, but I still want to see the other story. Plus, did they just drop the character of Andre completely? He was Sophie-Anne's constant companion and he's nowhere to be seen. He was a great menacing presence in the books. It would be a shame to lose him.

The gooey dead vampire thing still grosses me out. Blech.

Alfre Woodard returns next week! I love her and I love her as Lafayette's mom. She's so delightfully crazy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Andre, and also the two bodyguards of the queen - two Saxons that were pretty much invincible.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4022597;
    Andre, and also the two bodyguards of the queen - two Saxons that were pretty much invincible.
    Sigebert and Wybert! I love them!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm going to have to read the books I think. I feel like I'm missing out on stuff that happens on the show.
    So my question to those of you who have read the books: Are the books worth reading? Are the books better than the the show?
    I love the show but some things I don't understand unless I go to the message boards. For example: I didn't know that if a vampire doesn't sleep during the day blood will come out of their ears.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4022980;
    I'm going to have to read the books I think.
    Are the books worth reading - I think so. My initial interest was the books, not the TV show. It was my enjoyment of the books that made me decide to watch the show last year in a marathon of viewing one after the other.

The books are pretty simple reads. I read every one in a single day pretty much. I'm a fast reader, but that's a REALLY fast read. I advise getting them from the library and saving yourself $$.

Are the books better than the show - I don't think so. They're just different. If you enjoy both books and movies/TV, you'll like both. If you prefer visuals, you'll like the show better. If you read the books and leave your mind open to a not-by-the-letter interpretation/re-imagining of a Hollywood director/producer/writers team, you'll be able to enjoy both.

If you tend to prefer a LITERAL, BY THE LETTER reproduction, you will be in for major disappointment.

That said, note this: Word is they are going to be taking MAJOR liberties with the progression of Sookie's relationships with Bill and Eric and others like Alcide, and a character or two you haven't even seen yet on the TV version. Liberties that may prove to be VERY unsatisfying to those who liked how things go in the books. Just a warning.

If a vampire doesn't sleep during the day, blood comes out their ears - this is news to me. I was wondering why some of the characters this past episode had that happening to them. I don't recall reading somewhere that that's what was going on, but I'll go with that alright.

On that note, the books are not necessarily going to explain everything to you, because not everything in the series exists in the books, and vice-versa. The Magistrar doesn't exist in the books, but is a nice added touch IMHO. Sookie doesn't have the whole "white light from her hands" thing in the books, so that wouldn't have been explained to you either.

Additionally, Charlaine Harris pulled a number on readers that pissed a lot of people off. She wrote some short stories that not everyone was privy to, and then went and had things happen in the books that if you DIDN'T read the short stories, made you go "WTH? Am I missing something? Is there a book I didn't read somehow?" My advice if you're going to read the books is make sure you know in which order to read them INCLUDING the short stories. They were published in a collection called "A Touch of Dead." Of particular importance is to read the story "One Word Answer" after the book "Dead as a Doornail." This Amazon.com review is excellent for telling you in what order to read each short story in relation to the books: Review by Nelaine Sanchez

Hope that helps.

^ Yes, thank you Fierce, that helps alot! I'm going to read the books for sure now.

+ Reply to Thread