+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3996759;
    In the books, Franklin is in his 50s or 60s and has an Italian accent....and gray hair and a mustache!
    That helped. My memory is jogged. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3996759;
    For me, Debbie is pretty much just as I pictured her. "Sophisticated" is never a word I'd use to describe Debbie Pelt. She always struck me as violent, aggressive, trashy and tacky.
    I pictured her as a bit well-to-do, with Prada bags and expensive clothing. But unhinged, selfish, narcissistic and evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3997261;
    I pictured her as a bit well-to-do, with Prada bags and expensive clothing. But unhinged, selfish, narcissistic and evil.
    I thought Franklin was sort of an off-scenes sugar daddy. I don't remember him being in the book much at all, just sort of a lesson learned for Tara while Sookie is off doing something else.

I think you're thinking of Portia Bellefleur, the lawyer sister who is kind of a snob.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3997297;
    I think you're thinking of Portia Bellefleur, the lawyer sister who is kind of a snob.
    Nope. That's how I pictured Debbie.

My impression was formed by the initial interaction in the bar, with Sookie's scarf and all.

I don't think Debbie Pelt would know a Prada bag if someone whacked her over the head with one! Or cut up her body and buried it in one!

For me, the show has done a great job of casting and portraying Debbie almost exactly like she is in the books. The only difference is that Debbie in the books has shorter hair.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was just looking at the wikipedia list of characters and it mentions short hair, athletic type. I don't know about Prada, but it did make her seem more..."modern clubber" than "trailer trash" that the show portrays her. I confess I don't really remember much else except for where her plotline went.

List of The Southern Vampire Mysteries characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I think because she's just so nasty and aggressive and horrible in the books, that informed my image of her. She may not be trailer trash, but I always thought of her as trash. I never imagined her as a classy girl, either in looks or actions. AB may have let Debbie's personality be reflected in her appearance more than it is in the books For me, it's exactly how I pictured her....although maybe with a bit more fashion sense. Doesn't CH have her wearing some pretty tiny outfits or is that just Diantha and the girl that works at the were bar who's always wearing weird, and very small, get-ups?

Usually, the show does a great job of casting and I don't have many complaints about any changes from the books. I mean, Tara is pretty boring and a minor character in the books. Really, I'm only upset right now about Calvin Norris (okay, and maybe Kevin). In the books, he comes across as a quiet and noble and honorable man and the show had him acting like an erratic druggie. In the books, Sookie is actually tempted a bit by Calvin's interest in her. I can't imagine it would be the same with the TB Calvin. If the character is the same and they do include that part of the story, his offer would seem more menancing than anything else.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3997520;
    it did make her seem more..."modern clubber" than "trailer trash" that the show portrays her.
    Thanks for the link.

"Sookie described her hair as being "straight and cut in asymmetrical clumps, tiny locks of different lengths."

That's partly what formed my impression of her. That's not your typical trailer-trash hairdo, that's the sort of 'do I hear done at high-end salons.

Yet yes, she did get her hair done at Alcide's sister's salon. But I was also under the impression she ran a higher-end salon based on things I read.

There already was some inconsistency mentioned in that link (were-lynx to were-fox). Could be CHarris didn't flesh some things out that well, which left readers to form varying impressions.

In any case, I'm fine with how she's portrayed in the show. She's just different than I pictured.

Well, I finally figured out who "Coot" was, the guy who was engaged to Wilhelmina in Ugly Betty. Double checked with IMDB when I saw the name on the end credits. I did not see any credit for "Crystal," however. She looks to me as I would imagine Mariel Hemingway's daughter to look, but I have no idea who that actress is.

Speaking of the end credits, one of the things I like best about this show is the music they run at the closing credits. Always an excellent choice. Does anyone have a link to a list of all the end credit songs from all the seasons?
    Last edited by Harvest; 07-24-2010 at 01:11 PM.

FORT Regular

Agreed. It's a signature of all of the great HBO shows.

I was actually able to find a list of all the music on the HBO site. Am not going to pay iTunes for them, however. Too bad my local library doesn't have a whole lot of CDs.

+ Reply to Thread