+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3983671;
    Re Sookie, yes..I believe that's what Bill will discover.
    I for one am very excited about this !

The previews for the episodes look promising .

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I don't see the show, just wondered if they have ever used the vampire Elvis that is in the books?

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3984077;
    I don't see the show, just wondered if they have ever used the vampire Elvis that is in the books?
    Nope
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3983540;
    I'm confused. I missed a lot of season 1 & 2 -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    in the books, Hadley is already dead...is she a vampire in the TV series?
    And as far as
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie's "true identity" - do they mean that she's part fae?
    I think I need to get the DVDs and get completely caught up.
    AJane - Sookie doesn't go down to take care of things with Hadley until much later in the series - I think it's book 6. She may be a vampire earlier (they haven't done it on the show yet), but the stuff with Sookie cleaning her apartment came later, after Quinn was introduced.

I was interested in the part about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie meeting a relative. Will it be Claudine or will it be Hadley's son?

PWS - So far, no appearances from Bubba.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3985441;
    AJane - Sookie doesn't go down to take care of things with Hadley until much later in the series - I think it's book 6. She may be a vampire earlier (they haven't done it on the show yet), but the stuff with Sookie cleaning her apartment came later, after Quinn was introduced.

I was interested in the part about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie meeting a relative. Will it be Claudine or will it be Hadley's son?

PWS - So far, no appearances from Bubba.
    Guessing
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that her fairy blood nature is about to come out.

OK, maybe I am hopeful of that - I like that Alan knows no boundaries and will bring in parts of the books that he feels relevant to what he is doing on film. It makes the show very different from the books, and I am starting to separate them more easily now; the more he brings in "info" from the future. Does that make sense? The more he deviates from the books by introducing plots out of sequence, the more distinct they become. (for me)
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I forgot to mention that I'm not too happy about how the show is portraying Hotshot. The few glimpses we've had of Calvin are nothing like the character in the book. The show makes him look like he's just a violent, backwoods drug dealer or something - not at all like Calvin in the books. Crystal doesn't look like I imagined - the actress looks too much like a supermodel - but I'm just going to go with it on that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have to agree with you. Calvin Norris was someone Sookie was attracted to and the Calvin Norris I saw did not look appetizing at all.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

This show is really growing on me. At first I thought it was about as stupid as the Twilight series, but now it is moving closer to the beloved Buffy end of the spectrum, especially this last episode. So much to like, such as: the down home sayings like "his cheese slid off his cracker," and "I couldn't carry a tune if it were in a bucket with the lid on it." Sookie's outfit she wore to the bar. The whole Sam storyline with that family of his. The recent castings such as the creepy British guy, Alcide (so good looking!) and his sister. I was starting to despair with the casting choices, as I really do not like the actresses they chose for bill's maker, or for the queen of Louisiana, but the most recent cast members are good. The old guy who is hosting (imprisoning??) Bill had some great lines tonight. I actually like that Bill and Sookie "broke up."

And some of the old characters still charm. I am continually impressed with the actor who plays Jason. What a great role for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3986974;
    I forgot to mention that I'm not too happy about how the show is portraying Hotshot. The few glimpses we've had of Calvin are nothing like the character in the book. The show makes him look like he's just a violent, backwoods drug dealer or something - not at all like Calvin in the books. Crystal doesn't look like I imagined - the actress looks too much like a supermodel - but I'm just going to go with it on that.
    I agree with you and Bearcata - that was disappointing to me. Calvin is the leader of his people and though they are somewhat of a ragtag group of outsiders (as far as the Bon Temp community) ...... Calvin always struck me as honest, fair-minded and committed to helping his people. This is not a likable Calvin at all.

I can't put my finger on it, but I was slightly disappointed in last weeks show, if tonight is along the same lines I might loose some of my addicted attraction to the show. (which might be a good thing ).
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Add me to the list of those disenchanted with the TV Calvin vs. book Calvin.

I liked his character in the book being resigned to his clan's lot in life, yet having a dignity and integrity about him. The TV Calvin is seedy and unattractive.

+ Reply to Thread