+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: The Doctors

  1. #11
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,319

    Re: The Doctors

    I just wish it was on at a better time or, at least, had an encore.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: The Doctors

    I saw the when they were featured on Dr. Phil.
    I've known many who have gone to the gynecologist on the show. They all said they'd rather have multiple STD's before they'd ever return. Said it was obvious she got into the profession to get on a TV show and that she could care less about her patients.
    Sorry, but knowing this, I could never feel any credibility with this show.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey CantGetNuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: The Doctors

    I really like the show. I can't watch it much but I do enjoy it when I do catch it. I'm glad I didn't know that the guy was on the Bachelor. I probably wouldn't have watched the first time if I had known. And I've never been to that woman doctor but she strikes me as being hard core. Difinatly not my first pick if I was looking for an ob/gyn.

    I really want them to do a segment on over medication in senior adults.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: The Doctors

    OMG. I watched the show today featuring Jenny McCarthy and all the work she's done on behalf of kids with autism. Her own son recovered from it, thanks to her diligent research. But I digress ... the OMG was in reference to Travis Stork's total immature meltdown, complete with yelling and arm-waving, in response to the guest in the audience who has also done a ton of research into autism, and who was trying to point out that Stork was incorrect in saying that a connection between autism and vaccinations has been thoroughly researched when in fact it has not.

    The guest had facts about studies and research, and Stork did not, and true to the egotistical nature of many MDeities when faced with a layperson who has done the research and is more knowledgeable than they are on a particular subject, Stork went wild. Doctors often assume they have nothing to learn from laypeople and are extremely arrogant and condescending when you try to tell them something. Stork accused the man of attacking him, when in fact he did not. He only disagreed with him. True, the guest was expressing frustration, but he has the right to feel that way, and it was not directed at Stork personally. Stork is a dork. I watch quite frequently, and he adds absolutely nothing to the show. I don't even know how he made it through med school because he sounds so unintelligent. Obviously he can't handle his emotions in a mature manner, either. I think he should have been fired or at least reprimanded for the way he blew up at a guest and started shouting about how it was "his stage." He knows the subject is controversial, so he should have been prepared to hear things he doesn't like or agree with. I couldn't believe what I was seeing from him. Another doctor should have run over and injected him with a sedative!

  5. #15
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The Doctors

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3437764;
    OMG. I watched the show today featuring Jenny McCarthy and all the work she's done on behalf of kids with autism. Her own son recovered from it, thanks to her diligent research. But I digress ... the OMG was in reference to Travis Stork's total immature meltdown, complete with yelling and arm-waving, in response to the guest in the audience who has also done a ton of research into autism, and who was trying to point out that Stork was incorrect in saying that a connection between autism and vaccinations has been thoroughly researched when in fact it has not.

    The guest had facts about studies and research, and Stork did not, and true to the egotistical nature of many MDeities when faced with a layperson who has done the research and is more knowledgeable than they are on a particular subject, Stork went wild. Doctors often assume they have nothing to learn from laypeople and are extremely arrogant and condescending when you try to tell them something. Stork accused the man of attacking him, when in fact he did not. He only disagreed with him. True, the guest was expressing frustration, but he has the right to feel that way, and it was not directed at Stork personally. Stork is a dork. I watch quite frequently, and he adds absolutely nothing to the show. I don't even know how he made it through med school because he sounds so unintelligent. Obviously he can't handle his emotions in a mature manner, either. I think he should have been fired or at least reprimanded for the way he blew up at a guest and started shouting about how it was "his stage." He knows the subject is controversial, so he should have been prepared to hear things he doesn't like or agree with. I couldn't believe what I was seeing from him. Another doctor should have run over and injected him with a sedative!
    I didn't see the show, but have seen other doctors go nuts over the debate on the connection between vaccines and autism, and I can understand why. While I agree that claims that it's been thorougly researched are not accurate, I think that having the debate in soundbites rather than a detailed, evenly presented debate on both sides is dangerous. So I can see why a doctor associated with a TV show would be hesitant to get into it. When parents hear that there may bea connection, many have an immediate instinct to avoid vaccinations without taking some other key bits of information into consideration - including the preservative ingredient in question not being in most vaccines anymore, and the consequences of NOT having children vaccinated and how that compares to autism.

    I've heard Jenny McCarthy discuss the possible connection before, and think that she does so in a very rational and fair-minded way. But not all parents who question the connection are as rational and fair minded. Given the liablity that could come from mis-information being spread in the name of the cause, I can understand moving away from the topic.

  6. #16
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: The Doctors

    The whole show was about vaccinations and autism, so there was no "moving away from the topic." Stork was just majorly PO'd that an invited guest on the show, who happens NOT to be a doctor, knew more about the research than he does. The immature, over-the-top way he reacted to that very clear fact was my point. The guest apologized in the next segment if he had "crossed the line" with Stork because it was not intended to be personal (but Stork clearly took it that way, and it was a very immature reaction), but Stork never apologized for shouting and yelling at the guest. Actually, the whole thing is even more ridiculous because Stork is an ER doc and is not expected to have researched autism, so he had no reason to act so insulted.

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The Doctors

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3437866;
    The whole show was about vaccinations and autism, so there was no "moving away from the topic." Stork was just majorly PO'd that an invited guest on the show, who happens NOT to be a doctor, knew more about the research than he does. The immature, over-the-top way he reacted to that very clear fact was my point. The guest apologized in the next segment if he had "crossed the line" with Stork because it was not intended to be personal (but Stork clearly took it that way, and it was a very immature reaction), but Stork never apologized for shouting and yelling at the guest. Actually, the whole thing is even more ridiculous because Stork is an ER doc and is not expected to have researched autism, so he had no reason to act so insulted.
    I just went searching for a clip to see what the man said. It was only a clip, and not the full exchange. But what I saw was him declaring that doctors are irresponsible for claiming there is not a connection between autism and vaccinations. Unless he followed that up with information about the preservative that isn't used anymore, or making very clear statements that a connection is suspected but not proven, then he was not armed with any stronger research than Travis had. Nothing has been proven regarding the connection. There's good reason to be suspicius, but with the precautions I listed above. As I said, unless the man stated all of that and it was nto included in the clip I saw,I can't give him credit for stating a very clear fact. And as a doctor, I can understand Travis taking a statement about being sick and tired of doctors taking a given action as being a personal attack ... it was.

  8. #18
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,319

    Re: The Doctors

    One thing that I don't think is being acknowledged is that MEN communicate and relate to each other differently than most of the people that we read in this thread. We don't get it, because we are not them (the guys). Most of us, anyway.

    This is a great show, and I'm sorry that I don't get to see more of it. I see a lot in Dr. Travis.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  9. #19
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: The Doctors

    What the guy said was in response to Travis saying the issue has been thoroughly studied. The guy (who was an invited guest on the show because he's considered an expert, so Travis should have been more open to listening, even though the guy doesn't have MD after his name) said only ONE ingredient of vaccines and only TWO vaccines (when there are more than 30 being given to kids) have been studied ... no other ingredients or vaccines have been studied. He said he's tired of doctors who are not familiar with the research claiming that the issue has been thoroughly studied because it has not and is misleading to parents. And that's true! Travis's MDego was bruised, but so what? He should have been wearing his big-boy pants, and if he had information to the contrary, he should have stated it calmly and assertively instead of just yelling about what nerve the guy had to talk to him that way. He's the main host of the show, and his behavior was abominable and immature. He didn't even address the issue that was the point of the man's comment. Why? Because the guy was right, and Travis didn't want to acknowledge that.

  10. #20
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The Doctors

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3438321;
    What the guy said was in response to Travis saying the issue has been thoroughly studied. The guy (who was an invited guest on the show because he's considered an expert, so Travis should have been more open to listening, even though the guy doesn't have MD after his name) said only ONE ingredient of vaccines and only TWO vaccines (when there are more than 30 being given to kids) have been studied ... no other ingredients or vaccines have been studied. He said he's tired of doctors who are not familiar with the research claiming that the issue has been thoroughly studied because it has not and is misleading to parents. And that's true! Travis's MDego was bruised, but so what? He should have been wearing his big-boy pants, and if he had information to the contrary, he should have stated it calmly and assertively instead of just yelling about what nerve the guy had to talk to him that way. He's the main host of the show, and his behavior was abominable and immature. He didn't even address the issue that was the point of the man's comment. Why? Because the guy was right, and Travis didn't want to acknowledge that.

    I'm sorry, but if the guy was not blunt in straightforward in saying that parents should ask questions but still get their kids vaccinated, then he was not right, and Travis was right to challenge him in it. There are many parents out there who only hear tidbits and soundbites, and are left believing that vaccines are dangerous and must be avoided. That's not true -- and the responsible advocates for autism (like Jenny McCarthy) make that very clear. There is no excuse for leading parents down the road to fear to the point that they do not get their kids vaccinated, because things are implied and not fully explained. The danger of a generation of children not being vaccinated is a much greater danger to kids than the possible link between autism and a preservative in vaccines which is no longer used.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.