+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Desperate Housewives

Re: Desperate Housewives (Season 5)

That was the point, it wasn't ok.

FORT Fogey

What has Gaby ever done that was "okay"? To have a vain woman like her having to deal with an overweight child makes for an interesting story?

Has anyone seen a picture of the young actress IRL? Is she overweight or is she padded for the part?

I just went looking and the young girl's name is Madison Delagarza and, interestingly enough, she is Demi Lovato's younger half sister. Yes, she is overweight. And it appears that her family is all in the business so we can assume/hope that this girl knows that she's acting and can therefore separate herself from the role. But... being in the business, she's going to have body image issues regardless of the specifics of this role. And no, that's not me saying that it's okay.. just that it's inevitable.

I'm bummed that Carlos is still blind. That gives me less hope that they'll actually "cure" him. I like Carlos... especially devilish Carlos.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Exceedingly off-topic, but Broadway, every time I scroll past your avatar and location, I just start laughing. That may very well have been the funniest SNL skit ever.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3207577;
    I just went looking and the young girl's name is Madison Delagarza and, interestingly enough, she is Demi Lovato's younger half sister. Yes, she is overweight. And it appears that her family is all in the business so we can assume/hope that this girl knows that she's acting and can therefore separate herself from the role. But... being in the business, she's going to have body image issues regardless of the specifics of this role. And no, that's not me saying that it's okay.. just that it's inevitable.

I'm bummed that Carlos is still blind. That gives me less hope that they'll actually "cure" him. I like Carlos... especially devilish Carlos.
    Even if her family was not involved in the business, she knows she is obese and the topic is probably discussed with her family and doctor. It is no secret. She has more support with this issue than many. A little celebrity helps grease the skids, as well.

I like the leap ahead 5 years; the old plot lines were getting stale.

Carlos is too limited without vision. The plot opportunities are boundless on him regaining sight. He can keep it to himself and spy on Gabby or anyone else for that matter. I definately see this in his future.

SavhLaney, I think you have it. Edies husband is after Susan.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pride Mom;3207559;
    Am I/are we alone in our disgust? What am I missing here that makes this okay?
    you're not the only one ... i was appalled by the whole story line. i felt like they were making fun of her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3207577;

I love your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3207581;
    Exceedingly off-topic, but Broadway, every time I scroll past your avatar and location, I just start laughing. That may very well have been the funniest SNL skit ever.
    Thanks, and I agree! I still make fun of the Hillary line "MINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! " and use it often. I haven't retained laughter at (for?) a SNL skit in ages!

I started doing 10 things at once at the very end of this episode so I missed the last scene about Edie's husband's rage issue. Did they allude to/do you guys believe that her husband possibly has a connection to the woman and child that Susan killed?

And... I do have to point out that last night was the first night that I actually felt sorry for Susan. I have known a time of such despair where I felt that I didn't deserve to be happy... and my heart went out to that character.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3207629;
    Thanks, and I agree! I still make fun of the Hillary line "MINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! " and use it often. I haven't retained laughter at (for?) a SNL skit in ages!

I started doing 10 things at once at the very end of this episode so I missed the last scene about Edie's husband's rage issue. Did they allude to/do you guys believe that her husband possibly has a connection to the woman and child that Susan killed?

And... I do have to point out that last night was the first night that I actually felt sorry for Susan. I have known a time of such despair where I felt that I didn't deserve to be happy... and my heart went out to that character.
    There was nothing on the show that pointed in any direction as to who he is after. SavhLaney just made a very good guess.

Terri Hatcher (interview) said that Cherry is making Susan more mature and grounded this season. There was a lot of negative feedback about her character and it must have fueled the change. It seems clear that she will get a grip on her guilt and she and Mike will get back together. That will take all season and probably beyond.

The fact that we were introduced to the woman and child Susan killed certainly points to them being involved in the plot line somehow. The other characters have their plates full with plenty of options for story lines.

Eva Longoria said that she spends 10 minutes in makeup not the hour it used to take. She loves that.

FORT Fanatic

I realize it's TV and not real life, but Gabby was driving an expensive sports car and they still live in the big house. And on what income? She is too fat to work as a model. There is no reason Carlos could not be trained for a job. There are many blind people in the work force. He is intelligent and in good health except for his blindness. The show could educate people on what the handicapped can do. I'm sure living on disability income in real life is very tough.

+ Reply to Thread