+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poker After Dark/ High Stakes Poker

Re: Poker After Dark/ High Stakes Poker

I am hooked on the Professional Poker Tour and World Poker Tour.

FORT Fogey

Okay--please don't take this the wrong way--but could somone explain why you watch a bunch of men--or women--sitting around doing nothing but playing cards?

I've come across this show--it's on in the middle of the night here when I am sometimes up doing some work--and I really do not get the allure of it.

I'd be grateful for any feedback on this.

HAHAHA--I wondered about this too because my husband is an addict (playing, watching, reading, etc...) and after some time-- just seeing it over and over again--it does become somewhat interesting once you understand what is going on and begin liking some of the players (we are fans of Daniel Negreanu). I relate it to football in a way (sorry for the stretched analogy here) because I used to hate it and now that I understand what is going on I love watching games.

thats my explanation.

FORT Fogey

Mindy--hi and thanks for your feedback. I was afraid that my question might sound insulting when I certainlycdidn't mean it to.

I tried watching again last night and just couldn't "get into it." I'll try a few more times.

btw--I don't mind the football reference--I was brought up practically at football games--but I do understand that someone might not like or '"get it."

Maybe some things we like are just what we're familiar with?
    Sending good thoughts your way.

I find some, though hardly all, of the players entertaining. Ive also found that watching them has taught me quite a lot about how to play a better game of poker. I was raised on gin rummy, bridge, and pinochle, but only started playing poker fairly recently, so I do find it interesting to watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3277415;
    Okay--please don't take this the wrong way--but could somone explain why you watch a bunch of men--or women--sitting around doing nothing but playing cards?

I've come across this show--it's on in the middle of the night here when I am sometimes up doing some work--and I really do not get the allure of it.

I'd be grateful for any feedback on this.
    I think it has a lot to do with liking cards. No, seriously.
    I grew up playing cards with a huge family. Family gatherings, or just at home with brothers/sisters. Cribbage, Euchre, poker, gin rummy, hearts, spades, bridge, rummy, etc..etc. So cards are comfortable to me.
    If you play poker a lot, or just like cards..watching it on tv is interesting.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12