+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flashpoint--CBS, Fridays

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Flashpoint--CBS, Fridays

The debut episode was obviously loosely based on the hostage taking that happened in TO last year (I think) where the hostage taker grabbed the girl off the street and held her there until finally the cops had to shoot him and ended up having to kill him.

It was an interesting first show. I'll definitely give it a second look.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3129379;
    The debut episode was obviously loosely based on the hostage taking that happened in TO last year (I think) where the hostage taker grabbed the girl off the street and held her there until finally the cops had to shoot him and ended up having to kill him.
    I actually meant to mention this - it happened down the street from my office. Also meant to mention that I occasionally spend my lunch hour reading in the courtyard where the sniping took place (I can see it across the street from my boss' window). For some reason this makes everything just a little bit more interesting to me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3129452;
    I actually meant to mention this - it happened down the street from my office. Also meant to mention that I occasionally spend my lunch hour reading in the courtyard where the sniping took place (I can see it across the street from my boss' window). For some reason this makes everything just a little bit more interesting to me.
    WOw...that is quite close.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

CCL

Yes, I was reminded of that news story as well. Apparently it was the genesis of the show:

A series inspired by a T.O. sniper
    A very Canadian emergency task force is the real star of the new cop drama 'Flashpoint'
    PATRICIA TREBLE | June 25, 2008 |

On the morning of Aug. 25, 2004, Sugston Brookes tried to kill his estranged wife and then took a passerby hostage in front of Toronto's busy Union Station. As hundreds of commuters and office workers watched at the scene, and hundreds of thousands more followed the drama on TV, a member of the Toronto Police Service's Emergency Task Force (ETF) shot and killed the agitated Brookes. Among the television viewers were Stephanie Morgenstern and her husband, fellow writer Mark Ellis. The couple couldn't stop thinking about the sniper, wondering what the rest of the day would be like for the officer. They began researching the ETF and its methods and came up with a cop-show TV pitch that focused not on detectives or glamorous forensic techies, but on a tactical squad trained to deal with emotional "flashpoints." And then they managed to sell the show not only to CTV, but to CBS as well, Toronto setting included.
    A series inspired by a T.O. sniper | Macleans.ca - Culture - Entertainment
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I liked it pretty well. It looks as though they have set it up for multiple continuing story lines. I'll definitely give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3129494;
    WOw...that is quite close.
    Sorry, should have clarified. The courtyard where I occasionally spend my lunch hour is the one where the hostage taking was filmed, not the area where the actual event took place. That would have been one block south in front of the train station.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I really really really like this show!!!!

CCL

They've moved it to Thursdays, effective tonight.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I watched last night for the first time 'cause I kept hoping "Swingtown" would still come on. It was OK. To me, it looked like they had plenty of opportunities to shoot the drug guy through the window. It seemed like a lot of waiting around for nothing.

Is this supposed to be set in any specific city?

Oh, and Amy Jo Johnson used to be the Pink Ranger! She was pregnant during shooting and at the end of last night's episode when she's waiting for that guy, she's wearing a tank top and you can see her belly. I always thought she looked like a slightly less pretty Jennifer Garner.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3144200;
    Is this supposed to be set in any specific city?
    It's set in Toronto, though I don't think they've ever specifically mentioned the city. But unlike in movies & shows that film in Toronto but try to disguise that is Toronto, claiming they are in Chicago or New York, they do not try to hide that is Toronto or claim it is somewhere else. They've shown the skyline quite clearly more than once, for example.
    Haven't watched the episode yet so no comments for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast