+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Secret Life of the American Teenager

The Secret Life of the American Teenager

Has anyone seen this show? I have not, but my mom did, and she didn't like it.

I'm really in no hurry to check it out, since it is from the creator (Brenda Hampton) of 7th Heaven... and that show really sucked the last few seasons.

What do you think about it?
    ~Supernatural Addict~

FORT Fan

Re: The Secret Life of the American Teenager

I hated the show. I had high hopes for it, and I sat down with my daughters (15 & 13) and two of their friends (15). Within a few minutes I was getting pretty uncomfortable. By the end of it, I was disgusted. Every single conversation is about sex- conversations between the kids, the kids and parents and the councellor and kids. Then there was the *christian* girl who got a promise ring from her parents to wait until after marriage before having sex. Great, however, it felt like they were mocking Christians and kept referring to the couple as *the Christians*. Of course there was the class slut as well, and the *good girl* who got pregnant at band camp. I had hopes that the show would be realistic and talk about sex, but we were basically hit over the head over and over again. They even had an *is oral sex* sex talk. (why yes, yes it is...)
    I was watching my kids during the show as well (I was watching off to the side) and they commented that a lot of it (especially the on and on and every conversation about sex) was unrealistic and that it is talked about, but certainly not as openly as the show portrayed. They thought it pretty stupid and had the same thoughts as I did. Not all of the 15 year old boys are looking for a conquest. Not every family talk so openly about sex as these families did- especially at the dinner table. Personally, I think families should be able to discuss it, but the family dining table is not the place. The actors *over acted* especially John Scneider- who I was surprised how bad he was in this. Within the first 10 minutes I even said *this show is on the Family Channel??? *But after reading the the writer wrote for 7th Heaven, now I know why I didn't like it. I didn't like 7th H either because of the adult content that was being shown during family hour.
    Anyway, those are my opinions. The word I got from my girls is that hopefully the show will get better, but they mostly laughed all the way through at how stupid it was. (and it wasn't the embarrassed laughing- it was the "this is soooo stupid" laughing) I don't know if we will continue to watch, and maybe it will be better, but I won't set my TiVo for it, that's for sure.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'd guess the issue of whether sex is dinner table conversation conveys a lot about a family's attitude towards sex--e.g., too disgusting to talk about at the table? Too scary? Something that can only be discussed one on one in a serious sit down? So maybe that was their point? If you can talk about smoking or drug use or drunk driving at the table, why not sex? Or, this is the kind of family that can? But then I didn't see the show. Got very mixed reviews where I live--the pregnant teen is said to be good, but a lot of the others terrible at acting, and the overall "message" pounded in.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3096414;
    I'd guess the issue of whether sex is dinner table conversation conveys a lot about a family's attitude towards sex--e.g., too disgusting to talk about at the table? Too scary? Something that can only be discussed one on one in a serious sit down? So maybe that was their point? If you can talk about smoking or drug use or drunk driving at the table, why not sex? Or, this is the kind of family that can? But then I didn't see the show. Got very mixed reviews where I live--the pregnant teen is said to be good, but a lot of the others terrible at acting, and the overall "message" pounded in.
    I didn't really have an issue of them talking about sex at the dinner table if that is what families do- but in both families that was the main topic during dinner. I think it's fine if families want to talk about sex during dinner, and my opinion is that it is a serious subject that shouldn't be standard dinner conversation- they all acted like they were talking about the weather for that matter. I get your point though- maybe families should be able to discuss openly about sex over pork chops- but it just seemed odd to me. Partly because they were so openly discussing having /not having sex, but the pregnant teen admitted she had no idea if she *even had sex* because she didn't know what was going on during it. (along those lines) So, if families can completely discuss to have/not have, maybe the kids should know what sex is before talking so openly about it. I am also looking at the ages of these kids - 13 and 15 which is quite young (IMO) to be having casual dinner conversations regarding sex. Again- this is just my opinion about the show and the opinions of my kids who watched the show who also found it silly.

I enjoyed the show last night. I don't think that many people are that comfortable discussing sex with their children but there ARE people who are. Just because one family does not, does not mean that this is an unrealistic depiction of what a family might be like. I feel that since it was the first episode and pregnancy was brought up here that that is why there was this focus on sex. At the same time, it is still a television show so there will be some dramatization for entertainment purposes. Personally, I want SOME entertainment. I found the show really entertaining and interesting. And who knows, maybe it will spark discussion within families.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Boy oh boy, a lot of this show felt recycled didn't it! 7th heaven esq sets. 7th heaven esq music. Even some recycled 7th heaven actors. I agree with a previous poster about the msgs being pounded in... it felt really forced. I'm going to keep watching though. Sometimes shows need a little while to find its groove. Plus, I'll watch it for the same reasons I watched 7th Heaven. After a week of news and war and oil prices and guns and violence, I like a little uppity fluff. It makes me feel good.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I haven't watched it, but I saw the commercial, and my first thoughts were...

1. They're banking that this show will work because of how well Juno did.

2. It probably won't be as good as Juno.
    2003-2008.

I really don't think it's trying to be like Juno. Just because there is teen pregnancy everyone assumes Juno, but this show has a totally different vibe. The characters and humor on the show are in a total different genre. While I loved Juno, I also enjoyed this show in a different way. Like a previous poster said, its nice to have a a show like 7th Heaven to turn to. It is still brand new and will take a few episodes to really get into a groove and find its voice and storyline but I think if its off to a strong start.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Breast Cancer Awareness! Passepartout's Avatar

Really since Juno, teen-pregnancy has become a hot issue. As teens are getting pregnant like it seems every second.
    Sad but true!
    Breast Cancer Awareness!

Oh, I don't think it's trying to be like Juno either. I think they're just so sure that the series will take off because of how well Juno was received.
    2003-2008.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast