+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30 Days

30 Days

I thought there was a previous thread going on this show, but I cannot find it so I thought I would start a new one and see if anyone else was watching this season.

This is the show featuring Morgan Spurlock on the FX network where people spend 30 days in a situation which is opposite of how they typically live or contradictory to what they believe.

So far this season:
    Morgan spent 30 days living as a coal miner. I caught most of this one. It highlighted the dangers of working in this industry and was quite sad given that his host family discovered that the coal miner husband was afflicted with black lung.

A NFL football player spent 30 days living in a wheelchair. I don't this there were any revelations in this episode for me, but it was still very interesting.

I *think* the third episode was supposed to be a hunter speding 30 days with animal rights activists. It sounded interesting, but if this was aired third then I missed it and will have to find a repeat of it!

The last one I watched was definitely the most provocative I have seen so far. It was a woman who firmly believes that children should always be raised by a mother AND a father (so they they get both a male and female perspective of life) and is thus opposed to same sex couples adopting children. She spent 30 days living with a family consisting of two gay men and their four adopted children. I have a few thoughts on this episode:
    (1) I thought that the woman going into it had a difficult mindset. She stated upfront that she was against same-sex adoption and she was entering this situation to see if she could maintain her beliefs in the face of the opposition. It was like she was viewing the whole thing as a challenge to her moral view and that she would "win" if she got thru it with her current opinion in tact. This is as opposed to going in with an open mind, which I do not think she did.
    (2) I was touched by the stories of the adults that had grown up in the foster care system and lived in group homes. I was very surprised that she could listen to these stories and still say that growing up in this manner - with no one loving and caring for them - would be better than being raised by a same-sex couple.
    (3) I was disappointed by the approach of the people who were supporting same-sex adoption in this show. They had very strong arguments, but when she was not immediately swayed by their stories they started attacking her. Although I do not agree with the woman's opinion, I do not at all blame her for getting defensive when she was surrounded by people berating her for her view. If anything, they probably made her more resistant to seeing their view.
    (4) I was sad by the end. The couple she had stayed with told her that they did not think they could continue a friendship with a person who was fighting to eliminate their right to raise their family. She really didn't seem to "get it". She seemed offended that they could not just ignore the issue. She could say on the one hand that she thought they were wonderful parents and then turn around and say that their children would be better off with no parents than being raised by these men. It makes me wonder what she thinks about single parents - does she believe that single parents should not be able to adopt either? Children of single parents are many times also only getting one gender view of the world....

I think 30 Days is a fantastic show. I frequently learn something I did not previously know. I think they generally do a good job showing both sides of an argument, but I wonder if other people think it is biased toward one side or the other.

Re: 30 Days

I love this show. I agree with you that she went in expecting to 'win' not to fully understand and maybe just maybe see the other side. When she seemed to be touched by the grown up foster kids stories, I expected her to bend a little bit, but nothing. I also thought that being adopted herself as well as having adopted her two children that she would see that a loving family made up of loving people period would be better than no family, but she seemed to conveniently forget all of that. I felt bad for her at the campfire. Josh's birth family really seemed to go in for the kill rather than trying to talk intelligently and compassionately about it and undo a lot of the good that the men had tried to instill. That whole bit really made no sense to me.

I did see the hunter/animal rights one and was severely disappointed. I feel there is a HUGE difference between a hunter and a veal farmer or an animal testing facility. Just because someone hunts (humanely and legally for the meat, not the sport), that is not the same as skinning animals alive, throwing chickens against a wall repeatedly until they die or leaving a sick calf on the side of the road to die after you threw his healthy buddies into the back of a pickup truck in one huge, broken pile. I support both hunting (again, humane and legal hunting where the animal is respected and used, not shot for fun and left to rot. I feel it has a positive impact, at least here in Colorado where it is extremely regulated and designed to keep the herds at levels that the forests can maintain, rather than letting them overrun their food supply and all end up starving to death slowly) and animal rights and was horrified at what practices they were trying to equate to hunting. It did make me think a little more about the suffering of animals to actually see the horrors you hear about, but even the hunter right out of the gate was apalled at what he was seeing. I took that episode to be more of a PSA on what animals really go through to feed us than an actual trying to expose the other side since I saw it as comparing apples and oranges than showing two sides of an issue. I do hope that shows like that bring about changes, it is just awful the way some facilities do things, but again I don't feel it was the opposite side of the hunting coin. All of the hunters I know (I am not one myself and know I personally couldn't do it) respect and care more about animals than you would expect.

Next week's episode looks pretty interesting, the woman who lost a relative to a gunshot and is anti-gun living with a family that fully supports the right to bear arms.

I love how Morgan pulls these ideas and topics together. If nothing else, it gets you thinking about your own stance on things while providing both sides and some facts as well.
    Last edited by Jamie5632; 06-30-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3089302;
    I did see the hunter/animal rights one and was severely disappointed. I feel there is a HUGE difference between a hunter and a veal farmer or an animal testing facility...
    ...I feel it has a positive impact, at least here in Colorado where it is extremely regulated and designed to keep the herds at levels that the forests can maintain, rather than letting them overrun their food supply and all end up starving to death slowly) and animal rights and was horrified at what practices they were trying to equate to hunting.
    I agree with you - I am not a hunter (but I do fish) - I grew up in a hunting/fishing region (AK) and then moved to another big hunting/fishing region (MN). So I would say I support humane hunting practices, but abhor some of the horror stories about our commercial food chain!! I will definitely catch this one if I see a repeat airing scheduled!

I liked the one where he and his girlfriend tried living on minimum wage for 30 days. It really opened their eyes especially as they both had to go to the emergency room and see how real people live

I watched the gun episode last night.

Premise: Pacifist anti-gun woman whose good friend died as a result of gun violence goes to live with a gun enthusiast family (a man & his son) for 30 Days. I thought up-front that this alone was interesting. I have noticed that this show tends to take a generally more conservative viewpoint and throw them into the world of the more liberal viewpoint - since I typically think of gun control as a more "liberal" viewpoint this seemed to be the direction opposite of what they normally do on this show. Maybe it is actually that they take the viewpoint that Morgan Spurlock does not agree with and throw them into the world he does agree with!

My thoughts: At the beginning I had issues with both sides. It seemed like the entire world of the guy and his son revolved around guns and shooting practice. However, she did not seem to recognize that there is a vast difference between a criminal with a gun and responsible gun ownership. I was bothered when she went to the "shooting party" and accused everyone there of not taking guns seriously - they struck me as very responsible and safety-conscious. I was also initially bothered when she shot a gun for the first time and then burst into tears. It struck me as extremely over-dramatic. However, I started to realize that this woman seemed to genuinely and directly associate guns and shooting with the death of innocent victims.

The one other part that bothered me was when she was trying to convince the kid to consider a college education. I completely agree that college education is a huge benefit to any child. However, the show is about gun use and this storyline seemed to imply that gun enthusiasts as a general group are uneducated "hicks". I found it offensive that they connected the fact that the kid was interested in guns and video games with the fact that he had not yet considered post-secondary education.

This show was a good one overall! I was pleased with both sides by the end. The guy and his son appeared to really respect that she stepped out of her comfort zone by joining them and they listened to and understood her opinions on the issue. She, on the other hand, realized that there are indeed responsible gun owners in the world and that they should not necessarily lose their right to gun ownership.

Next week: Morgan goes to live on a Native American Indian reservation. I am very interested in this next episode. I grew up in a place where the native population and the non-native population were living side-by-side and was surprised (and a little disturbed) when I moved to a new location where the native populations live almost completely on reservations.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-02-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo

Is this show finished for the season already? The last episode I watched was about the Indian reservations... I couldn't find it on last week's schedule or this week's. Does anyone know?

Yes, the one on the reservation was the 'season finale'. Seemed like a pretty short season to me. I missed the gun control one due to a vacation and a tempermental DVR and wasn't able to catch it the one time it repeated.
    Wag more, bark less

+ Reply to Thread