+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Friends" Just a Little Bit Longer

"Friends" Just a Little Bit Longer

From Yahoo! News:

By Josh Grossberg

Fans of NBC's Friends may have noticed that the Central Perk stayed open a little longer during last Thursday's season premiere. Better get used to it: The network will be adding a couple of extra minutes to the Emmy-winning sitcom throughout this season.

The move by NBC executives is part of an effort to milk every last ounce of advertising revenue they can get out of the sitcom while chipping away at the audience of competing shows, especially CBS' Survivor: Thailand.

The reason seems like a no-brainer for the Peacock. Friends scored 34 million viewers last Thursday, making it the show's most-watched season debut ever. And given all the hype touting Friends' ninth season as its final season anchoring NBC's "Must-See" TV lineup, those numbers are expected to remain huge throughout the season.

But NBC execs are shocked--shocked!--that people think the elongated episodes are a shamless ratings grab.

"Friends did run long creatively, and it will run long creatively this season," an NBC spokesperson tells the Washington Post. "Maybe they need extra time to do the story."

And if that story just happens to boost Scrub's audience (the sitcom notched 22.3 million viewers and finished as the week's seventh most-watched show), who cares? As far as the network's concerned, the more Friends, the merrier, since that extra two minutes could easily translate into four more $500,000 30-second commercial spots NBC can sell to advertisers.

This isn't the first time that Friends has gone long. Last year, the show also ran past the half-hour mark by a few extra minutes to provide a boost to its low-rated (and since deep-sixed) follow-up, The Weber Show. The extended episodes prompted TiVo owners to complain because the digital recorder stopped taping after a half-hour, lopping off the final moments, including the "kicker" segment that runs with the closing credits.

Later that season, in a sweeps programming stunt designed to stave off Survivor, NBC "super-sized" Friends, expanding the show by an extra 10 minutes to 8:40 p.m..

But NBC isn't the only network desperate enough to juice its ratings by going into overtime.

CBS did the same with last week's premiere of CSI. By running the hit crime drama one minute extra, the Eye network managed to squeeze in a few more promos for other new shows in its prime-time lineup this season, thereby taking advantage of the 30 million strong audience that tuned in.

"It's premiere week. You need to let the audience know what new shows you have available," a CBS rep tells the Post. "There's no better place to do that than in your number one show."

The longer running time caused consternation among ER fans forced to choose between that extra minute of CSI and the season premiere of NBC's medical drama, which happened to begin a minute earlier than its listed 10 p.m. start time. (NBC says its been beginning ER early for years.)

So that's why they make picture-in-picture TVs.

With the exception of the 40 minute episodes of Friends last season... I've never noticed this.

I doubt it makes much difference.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I wonder if it's still causing problems with TiVo owners who record Friends but not Scrubs (why anyone would do this, since Scrubs is BETTER than Friends, I dunno).

I'll be glad when Friends is over.
    I wish they would all just grow up.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I heard they were doing this.

I'm really beginning to despise these people. I used to like Friends, but I agree with Fluff -get over yourselves you million dollar/ep whiney brats.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I started watching Friends again, because everyone at work was like " You got to watch it. That show is hysterical."
    I've watched the premiere and the second show. Friends was funny about 3 seasons ago, but now, I just find them annoying.
    Some stuff is funny, but most of the material is so old. That's it, Friends is off my list of shows to watch.

Everything is so sexual this season too.
    I'm not adverse to that , but it's on at 7.30, I don't need to even think about Monica and Chandler going at it in a broom closet while her dad watches.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Monica and Chandler going at it in a broom closet while her dad watches.
    And that scene wasn't even funny. A little bit sicko I would say.
    Ross' attitude is so annoying. I just find myself wanting to bitch slap him everytime he's in a scene. The whole Ross/Rachel/Joey misunderstanding about the proposal was not funny to me either. Now, Joey is funny. Stupid but funny!

It was a ridiculous scene imo.
    Ross and Rachel are both very annoying to me.
    The whole engagement thing just got on my nerves.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Everyone on the show has something major about them that bugs me, but on the whole, the show's watchable. At least, the first few seasons were.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast