+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Swingtown

Re: Swingtown

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3074787;
    I agree the teacher student thing was realistic. It might not be the best judgment but it did happen then and still does now.
    Have to comment on this too. I know someone who was in his first year of teaching hs when he fell in love with one of his freshman students. They dated secretly until she graduated, and were married that summer. Their marriage broke up about 5 years later. It happened all the time, until they started cracking down about 15 years ago or so. It was kind of like, don't ask, don't tell.

The teacher in this show is the same actor who plays Kostas in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

I'd never heard much about swinging, other than the fact it apparently happened. I don't think any of my parents' friends were like that, but I guess you never know.

I love seeing the reminders. When Trina took the picture at the lake she used a Kodak Instamatic with the little square flashcube. That brought back memories for me.

Roger's wistful, longing looks - stolen glances of Susan - are so well done. That is showing, not telling us - a sign of excellent writing and acting.

I also got a kick out of that instamatic camera. Remember how weird the flash bulbs looked when It was time to replace them?

Excellent episode tonight other than, as another poster mentioned, the lack of concern where little brother spent the night. It could have been easily covered in the writing by him saying he'd spend the night at a friend's house.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow, if Janet only allows Roger sex every two weeks on Friday nights I'm amazed she knows that women have a "pleasure center"...certainly Roger can't be very good at finding it!
    Interesting how much better looking Susan and Janet are when they "let down their hair", literally. Guess that's intentional.
    What I recall about the "side effects" of Deep Throat's popularity in relatively mainstream culture was increased pressure for oral sex from my women friends' male partners...not any great increase in wonderful sex. Kind of an odd scenario to pair with the "I am Woman" anthem. Yes, it matches Susan standing up to her husband...but over what a weird cause.
    Still love the music on this show!

What I found particularly interesting about this episode is that Susan, initial appearance notwithstanding, is far more open minded than Bruce. I loved the fact that she was able, after her initial discomfort, to view Harry Reems as a human being, and apparently, at least as far as this fiction is concerned, a decent one. Bruce, it seems, just wants a bit of the strange, but isn't actually interested in any of the ideas behind the open sex movement.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I found last night's episode delved deep into the characterization. Janet's metamorphisis is intriging to watch each week.

The actress who plays Susan's daughter is so odd looking - perhaps she'll "grow" on me as the series progresses.

I'm the only one in my household who watches this show, so nice to share some thoughts with others. I usually have to record it and watch it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3103946;
    What I found particularly interesting about this episode is that Susan, initial appearance notwithstanding, is far more open minded than Bruce.
    Whoops! I meant Janet was more open minded than Bruce. Bruce is Susan's husband, right? Aaahhh, menopause and memory - not a happy couple.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3103912;
    What I recall about the "side effects" of Deep Throat's popularity in relatively mainstream culture was increased pressure for oral sex from my women friends' male partners...not any great increase in wonderful sex. Kind of an odd scenario to pair with the "I am Woman" anthem.
    I think 'cause sexual liberation didn't equate to great sex...for women. Wasn't it geared for having sex, but not for guys actually trying to please their wives or gilrfriends in bed?

I liked the episode--Susan stood up to Bruce. And unlike Bruce who didn't want Susan to attend, I think Roger was pleased that Janet attended--and the effects the movie had on her! And Janet is a very pretty woman--it was just difficult to see it hidden behind her stiff smiles and her plaid dresses.

Laurie and her teacher...I don't know. The plot line isn't doing anything for me. She is kind of a less attractive Susan Dey and so painfully skinny. I know some people are just naturally thin, but she doesn't seem to have any muscle tone and is just kind of there. I guess I'm also disappointed that this teacher is giving in to his feelings/lust for her. I realize there isn't that much age difference in the big scheme of things--she's 17. Is that the age of consent in Illinois? I don't know. But the whole student-teacher thing. Even if she doesn't know any better, he should and he should refrain from acting on his feelings until she's out of high school.

I had to laugh because I remember wearing jeans like Susan's daughter - we called them "sailor pants", and I had a tan jumpsuit similar to what Trina was wearing on the planning meeting complete with red accesories. Memories. Sigh.

Hubby and I love the various "prop surprises" -- stuff like:
    "Good lord, that was my first camera -- flash cubes and all!" or
    "I remember that tupperware lunchbox! I used it as a makeup case." or
    "Ugghhhh! Did I really wear that? And drink Tab?"
    This week it was the old-timey Dunkin' Donuts bag (especially funny because we don't have Dunkin' Donuts here anymore).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Anyone else going to watch tonight? I find myself looking forward to the new episodes every week!

+ Reply to Thread