+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Swingtown

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Swingtown

When Susan and her husband were making that sex movie, I remembered that this wasn't a video recorder, but rather a movie camera. So wouldn't they have to take this film in to be processed? Is that even legal?

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3070013;
    I have really warmed up to [Trina], in fact I like her much more as the show goes on. To me she is the most interesting person in this cast. Not to mention the best actor of them all, just watch her looks as she watches Susan or her husband. They say much more then her words.
    I was feeling the same way until she was so mean at the party. It was like she was playing two different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3069960;
    The girl who plays her daughter is just too freaking bony with too big teeth (the Matt Damon/Hillary Swank syndrome--about the teeth, I mean).
    I thought so, too - AND she has the "pig nose effect" where you see straight up her nostrils! It kills me when so many people on the show keep saying how "beautiful" she is, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3071299;
    When Susan and her husband were making that sex movie, I remembered that this wasn't a video recorder, but rather a movie camera. So wouldn't they have to take this film in to be processed? Is that even legal?

Good point, Lois. They would have to have a cartridge or whatever those things were called. I know my parents had movie cameras that had those things and they did have to go and have them developed.

As to whether or not they are legal, hmmmm, I don't know. I do remember, back in the 80s, one of my girlfriends taking regular photos of her two little daughters, 2 and 4 at the time, naked and running around in the living room after their bath. Took the film to be developed and the person at the photo place called child services on the mom!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Let's remember that there have always been people out there who would offer private developing services; you've got the money, they've got the time. It may not be above board, but it is do-able, and I'm sure it always has been.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re the teacher and the student---remember the rules against this weren't so well developed at the time, and it was the 70's! These kinds of incidents no doubt led to the rules!
    I also agree, the student/girl is not very appealing. I guess she's meant to be intellectually appealing to the teacher, but she's nothing like the same physical type as his previous girlfriend, the play writer/director. Just scrawny. One reason her teeth look so big is her face has that anorexic/concentration camp tight skinned look.
    I have to say I remember all this swinging stuff as being earlier than the summer of 1976....more like 10 years earlier, although I was living near SF then, so maybe it just filtered out to the "heartland" later? Where are they meant to be living, I forget?

I've been reading with fascination many threads as I just stumbled upon this website. What an awesome website it is! I am addicted to the "The Bachelorette" thread right now with all the fabulous sleuthing.

I was in high school and college in the seventies, so really am enjoying this trip down memory lane.

Some thoughts:

1. Realistic: My high school was in a fairly small town (about 7,000 at the most). I can recall several incidents of teacher/student or guidance counselor/student relationships. I would think these situations are less common but more publicized NOW rather than THEN. Oddly, during my high school years, two History teachers married students! (right after students graduated!). These relationships broke up long term marriages. Both girls were "teacher's aides". Both of these May/December marriages later fell apart, too.

Another gal I know that is now a prominent Dr's wife had a fling with a typing teacher when she was just a sophomore. And on and on. I imagine in large high schools, it was even more rampant.

2. UNrealistic: the scrapbook Janet made Susan. In the seventies, we put photos and memoribilia taped in a scrapbook - no fancy embellishments like Janet presented Susan. Her scrapbook resembled a present day one.

3. Realistic: The show's premise. Even in my small town, I heard rumors of "key parties" among the community's upper crust.
    Last edited by Writerinthewind; 06-23-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Welcome Writerinthewind. Some of us stopped in years ago and never left
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

to FORT, writerinthewind! I also noticed the scrapbook faux pas--I kept scrapbooks then and they were nothing like what my scrapbooking cousin-in-law does now! Good eye.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3073807;
    Where are they meant to be living, I forget?
    Winnetka, IL. It's a well-to-do North Shore suburb of Chicago. Both the show creator and Liz Phair (the musician who scores the show) grew up there.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3074061;
    Welcome Writerinthewind. Some of us stopped in years ago and never left
    *raises hand!* after visiting several sites looking for a community to discuss big brother way back when, i found this one to be the NICEST and MOST FRIENDLY and i never left.

+ Reply to Thread