+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Swingtown

Re: Swingtown

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3055624;
    Harvest I just visited the link to the music from the show you posted. It looks like a great site.

And speaking of reminiscing about the '70's, does everyone remember those cucko clocks...
    I liked last week's music better, but still in general love my retro tunes!

I remember the landscape clocks; we thought they were so classy

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3068984;
    I've been catching these on On Demand later. I'm just not warming up to the main character at all. In three episodes she seems to have completely changed personality. She always seems self-conscious and it was almost painful to watch her when she had her breaking free moment and pulled down the wall paper. It seemed way too contrived. A lot of the show seems contrived, like the way her former best friend shows up with a pie exactly as they are getting home from a bar with the new neighbors. I can't put my finger on it but I will probably give the show another episode or two but if it doesn't start drawing me in, forget it.
    This week the most shocking thing was the high school girl jumping on her teacher. It is common for kids to have crushes on teachers, but almost unheard of for anyone to act out like that, and his reaction was not at all believable. He should have pushed her away in fear for his job, even if he were stupid enough to be attracted to a high school kid, which I don't find very believable.

As for the party, the stewardess neighbor was so mean to the uptight friend - I would think they'd be a bit more reserved and not blurt things out like that... and the "killjoy" comment on the wall was also beyond the pale. (Btw, we had friends who used the "who am I" game at their parties, and nobody ever thought they were killjoys!)

I agree with you about the redhead. If we didn't have everyone around her constantly stating their high opinion of her, I would be going "Huh?" wondering what I was supposed to make of her character. But we are being told she is so "one of a kind" and special. As an English teacher, I always told my students when writing to "show, don't tell," and these writers are breaking that rule in not being able to figure out how to show viewers what her character is about. It's lame to solve that dilemma by just having all the other characters make pronouncements.
    Last edited by Harvest; 06-20-2008 at 08:49 PM.

I'm kind of on the fence about this show too. I graduated from college in '76 and, while I remember way too much about the 70s, I just don't remember knowing any parents who were into swinging though! Maybe we lived in the wrong neighborhood?

Who do you think put Janet's name on the wall? I am wondering if it might be her husband.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interesting guess.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3069683;
    Who do you think put Janet's name on the wall? I am wondering if it might be her husband.
    I don't think it was her husband. I think it was the swinger neigbhor (Trina?) who brought the fondue set. I thought that was really mean. Yeah, she's really tightly wound and kind of annoying but... How much do you want to bet that eventually she and Trina and their husbands swing together? Or as Garth used to say... SCHWING!

I agree with the PP that Susan is just too all over the place. Sometimes she seems shocked by it all and then is just too readily into the lifestyle. Unless she was drugged this time, too, I'm not buying it. There's also something about her looks that bothers me. I really don't see why Trina and Grant Show (can never remember his character's name) would be that ga-ga over her (or her schlubby husband).

The girl who plays her daughter is just too freaking bony with too big teeth (the Matt Damon/Hillary Swank syndrome--about the teeth, I mean). I do think that students and teachers have inappropriate relationships...but I think this teacher almost encouraged it. Clearly he could see that she had a crush on him. He should've not encouraged alone time between the two of them. I don't think their age difference is that much (she's 17, he's maybe 24?), but a teacher can't be making out with a student! Maybe after she graduates and he's not her teacher anymore!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3069960;
    I don't think it was her husband. I think it was the swinger neigbhor (Trina?) who brought the fondue set. I thought that was really mean. Yeah, she's really tightly wound and kind of annoying but... How much do you want to bet that eventually she and Trina and their husbands swing together? Or as Garth used to say... SCHWING!

I agree with the PP that Susan is just too all over the place. Sometimes she seems shocked by it all and then is just too readily into the lifestyle. Unless she was drugged this time, too, I'm not buying it. There's also something about her looks that bothers me. I really don't see why Trina and Grant Show (can never remember his character's name) would be that ga-ga over her (or her schlubby husband).

The girl who plays her daughter is just too freaking bony with too big teeth (the Matt Damon/Hillary Swank syndrome--about the teeth, I mean). I do think that students and teachers have inappropriate relationships...but I think this teacher almost encouraged it. Clearly he could see that she had a crush on him. He should've not encouraged alone time between the two of them. I don't think their age difference is that much (she's 17, he's maybe 24?), but a teacher can't be making out with a student! Maybe after she graduates and he's not her teacher anymore!
    I dont think it was Trina, she warmed up a bit at the end. I honestly think it was a random guest.

I feel the atraction to them is because they are too normal.. I think Trina longs for that in a way. I have realy warmed up to her, in fact I like her much more as the show goes on. To me she is the most interesting person in this cast. Not to mention the best actor of them all, just watch her looks as she watches Susan or her husband. They say much more then her words.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

I finally got to watch this week's episode last night online. I felt sorry for Janet when she saw the nasty picture on the wall of her.

Did Susan even know where her son was spending the night? Or was she too busy worrying about making a sex tape with her husband? For the couple that was supposed to have the good family life, they seem to be very unconcerned parents these days.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3069559;
    It's a lot of innuendos that young kids don't understand but shouldn't children be monitored while watching tv anyhow?
    Yes. And any kid who shouldn't be watching this, shouldn't be up at 10:00 anyway.

It's no worse than many other shows on network tv especially the crime shows that fall into the same time slots.
    However, for some reason there is a surprisingly large number of people who find violence to be an acceptable entertainment for their kids, but think that sex isn't. Personally I consider sex to be more acceptable than violence, but to each their own.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Crime shows in the same time slot deal with molestation, rape, and some really awful violence.

And if it is a problem for children to be watching what about soap operas during the day during the summer with the same innuendos if not worse?

I don't know. I like Swingtown as some easy tv viewing. I only have the network channels so I appreciate something different than CSI or Law and Order as my own scholocky tv viewing options. lol

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3068878;
    Especially since it is summer and many kids stay up later who could potentially turn the show on and take a look.
    I see I am not the only one having these thoughts...I can't believe CBS cancelled shows like Jericho and Moonlight for this...I like the music but this sow does NOT belong on regular tv especially during the summer
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but I would think that kids couldn't really get into a show set in this time frame. It's hard enough for some of us who are adults! It's not the most enthralling, attention grabbing show, I don't think.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread