+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Swingtown

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Swingtown

I watched for Grant Show... I too miss Melrose... but I’m really becoming drawn in to the story line with the neighbor’s daughter and the son. Maybe I don’t need all the sex talk and innuendos... but there looks to be a really story there and I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Its rather scary all the old (and likely repressed) memories that are flooding back about the colors, the cars, the music, the clothing.. and sigh.. i think i STILL have some of that Tupperware from my mom!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Hubby and I got married in 1980. We had bought our first house a few months before the wedding. After moving in, we needed to buy a fridge. We went to Sears, applied for our FIRST credit card and bought a nice, white fridge. I really think that colored fridges were more expensive than the basic white ones.

Anyway, when I told mom that we bought the fridge, she did ask what color we ended up with. When I told her we got a white one, she asked why we didn't buy a colored one. At the time, she had the lovely harvest gold deal in her kitchen. Seeing that color fridge on last night's show brought that old memory back from the depths of my brain!

Oh the memories of the green and gold colored appliances!!

I loved the episode last night. It's a matter of time before she gets together with her old neighbor's husband. There's serious sparks there! I'm wondering where they will go with the swinging couple's marriage due to him having to fly to Japan now. I'm definitely going to keep watching this one. The writing is great.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3054971;
    Oh how I love the music on this show.
    Me too! Last night was the first epi I've seen (was out of town and missed the beginning.) At the end they said something about going to Swingtown – Groups at Last.fm for a playlist, but the list did not have everything from the show, including some I hadn't thought about since they faded from Top 40 but now really love because of the nostalgia factor.

Who is the red-headed actress? She looks like a teen herself, rather than the mother of a teen.

The one thing that is weird about how they are filtering the 70s to me (besides all the "actory-good-looking" people) is how successful they all are. The country was in the middle of a serious recession, and yet you have these fantasy characters such as a female law partner (recognized the guy who plays her hubby from Boston Legal.) I am remembering The Bob Newhart Show, and how those really successful professionals (a psychiatrist and his pilot neighbor) lived in tiny apartments, not big houses.
    They are borrowing the clothes (and Gunne Sax-looking outfits would not have been called "Frumpy," btw -- those kids do NOT talk like 70s kids!) and music, but not trying to capture the reality of the times. In a weird way maybe it's kind of like today's equivalent of what Happy Days was in the 70s?
    Last edited by Harvest; 06-13-2008 at 01:24 PM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3055398;
    I am remembering The Bob Newhart Show, and how those really successful professionals (a psychiatrist and his pilot neighbor) lived in tiny apartments, not big houses.
    Actually, those tiny apartments were on the lake front, I think, and were quite pricey. In Chicago, those apartments/condos have hefty rents/mortgages. People always pay more to live in the city, even though they get smaller homes. Winnetka--the suburb the show is set in--is one of the wealthier suburbs in the Chicago area. But a home that same size in downtown Chicago would be WAY more expensive. My parents had friends who worked at law firms or were doctors and they had homes like those depicted on the show on the tonier suburbs. There was a recession but plenty of folks were doing quite well, even then.

I remember my parents had gold appliances. It was considered very fancy back then!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3055398;
    Me too! Last night was the first epi I've seen (was out of town and missed the beginning.) At the end they said something about going to Swingtown – Groups at Last.fm for a playlist, but the list did not have everything from the show, including some I hadn't thought about since they faded from Top 40 but now really love because of the nostalgia factor.
    Harvest I just visited the link to the music from the show you posted. It looks like a great site.

And speaking of reminiscing about the '70's, does everyone remember those cucko clocks, where at the top of every hour the little bird would peep his head out of the door at the top of the clock and say "Cucko! Cucko!" ROTFL - my mom's best friend had one of those and everytime we visited her house, as she and my mom had tea together I would sit and wait with anticipation until the top of the hour just to see the bird pop out of the door and say "Cucko!"

Ahh....good times...good times....
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 06-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree with whomever said that this should be on HBO...or at least F/X.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3067996;
    I agree with whomever said that this should be on HBO...or at least F/X.
    Especially since it is summer and many kids stay up later who could potentially turn the show on and take a look.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I've been catching these on On Demand later. I'm just not warming up to the main character at all. In three episodes she seems to have completely changed personality. She always seems self-conscious and it was almost painful to watch her when she had her breaking free moment and pulled down the wall paper. It seemed way too contrived. A lot of the show seems contrived, like the way her former best friend shows up with a pie exactly as they are getting home from a bar with the new neighbors. I can't put my finger on it but I will probably give the show another episode or two but if it doesn't start drawing me in, forget it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I love that this is on network tv because that means I can actually have something better to watch. It's a lot of innuendos that young kids don't understand but shouldn't children be monitored while watching tv anyhow?

It's no worse than many other shows on network tv especially the crime shows that fall into the same time slots.

+ Reply to Thread