+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Swingtown

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Swingtown

I get why he's moving away from the big 4 networks, given what's happened to his two previous, very good, (probably) cancelled, shows.... Just wish I could see the new one!
    Reminder.... we get an episode of Swingtown tonight!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Tonight's show was so good! I wish they'd bring it back...

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow, almost every adult relationship in chaos....only the teens seem to have it together... and the original swingers!

ETA, apparently this isn't Trina's first pregnancy/possible abortion? Just the first one she's telling him about? In the past she's just gone and done it based on their earlier conversations? Or did I mishear?
    Last edited by PWS; 09-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.

I kind of got from the show that it wasn't her first abortion but I think he might have known about them. I'm not sure.

I really did not like the whole Melinda thing. I mean it was interesting for the show but just personally it was really frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3191340;
    I really did not like the whole Melinda thing. I mean it was interesting for the show but just personally it was really frustrating.
    I don't like the whole Melinda arc either. I liked it when she was first introduced because she was a strong female putting up with sexist crap at work because she knew she had to play along to a certain extent so that she wouldn't been perceived as a weak woman. But now, they've created a really unlikeable woman who knows that she wants to cheat with a married man and doesn't have any guilt about it at all. NO REMORSE.

Granted, if Tom could keep his zipper zipped, it wouldn't be much of an issue. And he's the one who's cheating on Susan. Melinda isn't married to Susan. But she's not much better than Tom.

That said, the Melinda/Tom thing finally gave Susan the excuse to start an affair with Roger. I feel so badly for Janet...who loves them both so much.

Also, anyone else want to slap Roger when he snapped at Janet and basically said, "I'm the head of the household and my decision goes." His head would've been introduced to the other side of my frying pan if he screamed that at me...

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3191552;
    I don't like the whole Melinda arc either. I liked it when she was first introduced because she was a strong female putting up with sexist crap at work because she knew she had to play along to a certain extent so that she wouldn't been perceived as a weak woman. But now, they've created a really unlikeable woman who knows that she wants to cheat with a married man and doesn't have any guilt about it at all. NO REMORSE.

Granted, if Tom could keep his zipper zipped, it wouldn't be much of an issue. And he's the one who's cheating on Susan. Melinda isn't married to Susan. But she's not much better than Tom.

That said, the Melinda/Tom thing finally gave Susan the excuse to start an affair with Roger.
    I feel so badly for Janet...who loves them both so much.

Also, anyone else want to slap Roger when he snapped at Janet and basically said, "I'm the head of the household and my decision goes." His head would've been introduced to the other side of my frying pan if he screamed that at me...
    Bruce? Tom is Trina's hubby.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3191598;
    Bruce? Tom is Trina's hubby.
    Yes! I meant Bruce. Why can I never remember their names?!!!

I think that's why I don't like the arc either. They introduced a progressive, strong female and then made her into what she is. And made Bruce an extremely unlikable person as well. And it hasn't exactly done much for Susan either character wise than make her somewhat unlikable. Because in the grand scheme of things if the relationship continued with Roger she is no better than Melinda.

I like Janet's character more now than I did at first. I like how she's progressing into a strong woman with her own thoughts and behaviors.

That being said the Roger issue with Susan I think wouldn't end well because he liked Susan how she was free and had opinion but when Janet did the same he pulled the "head of household" card. In my experience that is like real life too where men want their side women to be all free and stuff but when push comes to shove they don't want to deal with that on a day to day basis.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3191552;

Totally...but it was a good "look back". Even in the 70's there were people living a 1950's life... and Janet very much had been, by her choice...and you get the bad with the good when you do that. Now the question is, can she take her own advice? Dump the cheating hubby? Of course in the column the hubby was a 4 times serial cheater, and Roger could spin it as a one time thing when it all comes crashing down....
    One query...Janet's Ask Janet column ran...and we were told it was a one month trial...but wouldn't she have to sign some kind of contract even for that? Hope she's getting a bonus. Of course when her own marriage falls apart it will be harder to be sure she knows all the right answers. I forget which of the Abby/Ann twins had that happen to her.

If this is on again next summer (not holding my breath), I'd be interested in seeing the inevitable episode when Dear Janet gets a letter from a parent with a gay teen -- and then seeing what Janet does when her own son comes out in that same episode. Or perhaps the letter comes from an anonymous gay teen, who (yeah, no surprise) turns out to be her son. Either way, I'd like to see how the writers treat the issue and how true they are to the culture of the time. With my gay friends, coming out to their parents back then was usually pretty awful. (Not that it's necessarily a picnic today, but it sure seemed worse back then.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread