+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Swingtown

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Swingtown

First you see a woman's head down in his lap area kind of, but then you realize it is an older stewardess wiping up something from his lap and saying something like I don't think it will be a serious burn. Then the young stewardess apologizes re the wife, but it seems she is talking about his shirt (which the wife would have to clean of course!), and the overall impression is she spilled hot coffee on his shirt.
    Re accuracy, I don't think there were many whitehaired stewardesses at that point... they had to sue to be allowed to work past about 30 as I recall, and even if that had happened (by 1976) none of them would have had white hair yet. But maybe she was just a super bleached blonde.

FORT Fan

Also, it was July 4 1976 -- the year of the Bicentennial. I remember that day and that summer very well, and there should have been a MUCH bigger celebration than just a block party.

I love, love, love Jack Davenport, who plays the central character. He's British and very well known in England, especially for Coupling (catch it in reruns on BBC America -- terrific show). He also played Commodore James Norrington in the three Pirates of the Caribbean movies -- got killed in the last one. I watched Swingtown just to see him, but I have to say I was put off by the American accent. Sounded very muddled to me. Why don't American actors act in American TV and British actors stick with British TV?

Also, did anyone notice when he was backing out the car he looked over his left shoulder instead of his right? Apparently he's used to the steering wheel on the right!

I'll give the show a couple more weeks, for the memories it brings back and also for lovely Jack. Sigh.

I enjoyed the show. Love Grant from back in the Melrose days. He's still hott. I think the show would do better on HBO or Showtime. Seems kinda racy for primetime.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3042470;
    First you see a woman's head down in his lap area kind of, but then you realize it is an older stewardess wiping up something from his lap and saying something like I don't think it will be a serious burn. Then the young stewardess apologizes re the wife, but it seems she is talking about his shirt (which the wife would have to clean of course!), and the overall impression is she spilled hot coffee on his shirt.
    Re accuracy, I don't think there were many whitehaired stewardesses at that point... they had to sue to be allowed to work past about 30 as I recall, and even if that had happened (by 1976) none of them would have had white hair yet. But maybe she was just a super bleached blonde.
    You know, you have a good point. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the connection was between the oral sex and burn ointment was!! Jane Q. Idiot (my alter ego) strikes again!! But with the noises he was making.......well..........
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I LOVE this show!!!! that was great. It does seem a bit racy for prime time, and I am surprised CBS is getting away with it, but I am glad it's on.

I think the old friend and her husband are going to have problems. He seems a lot more open to different things than his wife. He found his kid with a Penthouse mag and seemed a little proud and just gave the admonition "don't let your mom see this" He also obviously wanted to stay at the party.

The old friend's reaction was priceless.

I miss melrose place

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3042791;
    You know, you have a good point. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the connection was between the oral sex and burn ointment was!! Jane Q. Idiot (my alter ego) strikes again!! But with the noises he was making.......well..........
    Apparently not much difference between pain noises and sex noises! I went back and watched it again as I'd accidentally taped the start...the stewardess cleaning him up definitely had white hair and wrinkles. She said something like she thought it might blister.

FORT Fan

I enjoyed the first episode. It was a typical premiere episode, introducing the characters and giving us the lay of the land so to speak. I found it interesting enough to keep me coming back to see how the plotlines develop, and how the characters interact and change. The 1970's were a time of change...everything changed.

Hopefully we are entering another time of change, and this look back will help us to remember that change isn't easy. Life is messy, and there will be bumps along the way.

That said, I truly enjoyed the walk down memory lane. The hair, the clothes, the colors, and the celebration of our country. It was a great time to be a young adult. I'm just glad that I was smart enough to make the most of it. I remember thinking back then, "Will I regret doing this when I am old and gray...or will a I regret not doing this."

I lived long enough to know that I made the right decisions...for me.

Is it Thursday yet? I can't wait to see what happens next.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i had just turned 13 years old so i was a bit young. but man, i LOVE that music!!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Anybody watch tonight? The music they played in the Playboy Club was fun! I remember the Playboy Club. I never went to it (obviously) but it was near a concert venue. I can't remember when they closed it in Chicago--maybe in the late 1980's? Anyone? Bueller?

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Oh how I love the music on this show. Hearing these tunes take me way, way back to when I was just a wee little kid sitting in the kitchen listening to the transistor radio my mom used keep on top the (mustard yellow coloured) fridge so I couldn't reach it.

So far so good...lasts nights episode was good. I love watching the dynamics between all of the couples. So glad to see Grant Show on this show as someone else mentioned. I miss watching him from his days on Ryan's Hope and Melrose Place.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread