+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Swingtown

Re: Swingtown

I'll be watching! I love this show so much! The writing is so good and I really like the actors. I am so looking forward to seeing if Susan and the old neighbor hook up.
    Yup, with donuts!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i'm still watching!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3123882;
    Anyone else going to watch tonight? I find myself looking forward to the new episodes every week!
    Ill be watching.. but Burn Notice is on first So i will DVR and catch it at 11
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Taping it and watching tomorrow night. I can't stay up until 11 anymore, but I really enjoy the show.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I liked tonight's episode. It was nice to see Janet come out of her shell and find new friends that she felt comfortable with. She looked great, too, with her hair all done and non-plaid outfit!

I felt almost sad watching the bits between Trina and Tom (Grant Show).
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I thought it did a good job of showing the other side of swinging, though. Clearly, Tom was jealous of her history with her high school boyfriend. And clearly she was happy to have an excuse to have a threesome with both men. But it just didn't feel right--no pun intended! Also, from the previews for next week, it looks like Tom has a one-night stand and Trina isn't included in that romp. The bit between Laurie and her teacher...that didn't sit well with me. I know things like that happen(ed), but it's just still wrong. Yes, I'll go back to my rocker with my knitting now...

The preview for next week made it look like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Roger was going to address his feelings for Susan
    !!!!

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. I like that the best parts aren't about the sex, but about the friendships and relationships...

Yeah the whole scene with Trina, her hubby and the old boyfriend, as well as the teacher and the daughter, gave me the ick factor. (What I mean is that I enjoy watching the characters development much more than the swinging scenes. And the daughter with her teacher just bothers me.)

What I really loved seeing tonight was Janet's husband sitting at the charity event watching how much fun his wife was having with the girls. He didn't seem so stuck-in-the-mud.

One of my sister's used to wear her hair the way Janet's was on the show. She graduated from HS in '78 and just about everyone in her yearbook had that same style!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Ok now I know I am gonna get some flack for this.. but there is something about the Daughter (who i just figured out, reminds me of a young, darker haired Joni Mitchell) and her teacher/ex-teacher that i DO like. I dont knwo why because i know its not the best situation at all, but there is something that does fit with them. And She may be 17 (i think shes older however based on a comment her mom made to her in the first show, so im gonna guess nearly 18) but I dont think hes much more then 24-25 to be honest. And in the end, HE did wait till he was not her teacher anymore.

Lets face it this is a show of messed up relationshiops no matter how we look at it..
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

No flack for you!

I completely understand what you're saying. But I would've been icked out about the Laurie/cute teacher relationship even if she was in grad school and he was her professor. In grad school, she would've been in her 20's, but the whole thing between teachers and students just icks me out. It's crossing that line...and I think she is 17 based on what was stated on one of the episodes and I know that's legal in some states...but it's the student/teacher thing that gets me. I know he's not her teacher now in that class anymore...but isn't he still a teacher in her school? How will they navigate their relationship throughout her senior year? Will he take her to her prom? I think most schools have rules about teachers dating students (even if the latter are 18 or older) and that can be cause for firing. Surely Laurie must have some other friends who she will confide in. One will surely rat them out--even if accidentally. Dating the cute teacher is just too juicy to keep to themselves! When word gets out, are other students going to accuse him of giving her preferential treatment because he was dating her? Even though he wasn't technically--they could say that. Which is why schools have a "no dating students" policy.

And as an aside, I fault him more than her, even if she's the one who pushed for it. As the adult, he should know better. I think that there could be the whole soul-mate thing, but there's also a bit of that power play--even if they don't realize it at the time.

As a dramatic device, I'm just so over the student-teacher dalliances!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-11-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3125099;
    And as an aside, I fault him more than her, even if she's the one who pushed for it. As the adult, he should know better. I think that there could be the whole soul-mate thing, but there's also a bit of that power play--even if they don't realize it at the time.
    I think that as far as power goes, on the surface it may appear that he has it, but in actuality, I think that she has it. Their relationship doesn't bother me as I do believe that they are equals emotionally and mentally, if not in age.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3125112;
    I think that as far as power goes, on the surface it may appear that he has it, but in actuality, I think that she has it. Their relationship doesn't bother me as I do believe that they are equals emotionally and mentally, if not in age.
    See now, I know that we are supposed to believe that Laurie is an incredibly bright and mature young woman, but I don't think she is. Not as much as we're supposed to believe. And I think the writers are setting us up for this by throwing little hints at us. The scene where she came home to the wallpaper-ripping party...and she wrote their initials on the wall and drew a heart around them. That's a very little girl thing to do. I don't see him doing the equivalent of this.

+ Reply to Thread