+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: the Last Airbender

Re: Avatar: the Last Airbender

Ember Island Players was an interesting episode as it was basically a recap episode but done in a very amusing way. Still I did wonder how the playwrite knew about the more intimate details because the only people involved were the gang and bad guys. I wonder if Uncle Iroh wrote the play??? I would not put it past him, except the ending was kinda guresome for the gang. Was the props guy the cabbage seller? It is also possible that the cabbage seller was the playwright. The possibilities are interesting to say the least.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

That's a very good point! I wonder how the play writer really got to know a lot of the details of their journey...but then again, I also think since its mostly a children's show, the writers might not have cared to tie in plot holes or whatever its called or would be considered.

All in all, OMG im so excited and anxious for tonights 2 hour special lol

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess;3137946;
    That's a very good point! I wonder how the play writer really got to know a lot of the details of their journey...but then again, I also think since its mostly a children's show, the writers might not have cared to tie in plot holes or whatever its called or would be considered.

All in all, OMG im so excited and anxious for tonights 2 hour special lol
    A story is a story and regardless of who the intended audience is should be treated with respect to the plot and to the audience. Avatar was intended as children's entertainment but the themes and the way it is written reaches beyond age. I also think you should never dumb down stories for kids. They get it. Their understanding of what happens is a kids understanding but it is important for kids to react to real issues and emotions and logical plot lines.

Avatar is not a children's show, it is intended for tweens, teens and anime fans and as such presents some very mature themes in ways that are strong enough to have punch yet not so strong as to be offensive. It is enjoyable by young children yet it does not offend adults.

Frankly, it's one of the best shows on the air right now.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

ok the whole 2 hours was wonderful, until the end sigh
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3138096;
    A story is a story and regardless of who the intended audience is should be treated with respect to the plot and to the audience. Avatar was intended as children's entertainment but the themes and the way it is written reaches beyond age. I also think you should never dumb down stories for kids. They get it. Their understanding of what happens is a kids understanding but it is important for kids to react to real issues and emotions and logical plot lines.
    I agree, Bearcata...my 11-year-old has watched Avatar since the beginning and he had many of the same questions I've seen here about last night's "play within a show". And tonight one of his friends stayed over, so we all watched the movie together. They were quite perplexed as to how Aang would stay true to himself and not kill the Firelord, yet still succeed. I think they were happy with the result.

I agree with everyone says; I was just saying that they, the writers, might not see it that way, they certainly didn't clear it up the whole play write episode with the 2 hour special or maybe I missed it. There was a part with the bald woman Aang actress was in it, but I dont think it revealed anything about that.

As for the finale itself, I thought it was more good than bad. I was curious to know what happened to Azula in the end. The whole open ended part with Zuko and his father is probably the premise for the live action movie. The fight between Zuko/Katara and Azula was a little disappointing, I was hoping it would be Zuko who would beat Azula, but I thought it was a good balance to see him take the hit for Katara, showing who he is now, and leaving her finishing what would've happened in Crossroads of Destiny.

Wow, that was a very fast 2 hours. Looks as if Nick also removed some of the commercial breaks or just doubled them up in other areas. Some of the natural scene breaks led right into another scene instead of the expected commercial break very unusual but appreciated. It was very nice not to watch commercials every 3 minutes. Overall I really like the movie (last 4 episodes) I like how they dealt with Aany agonizing how to deal with the Firelord/Pheonix King in a way that serves justice and yet in a way that Aang can stay true to himself and his beliefs. The ending seemed a little off. I do think that Zuko asking his father where his mother is a perfect segway into the live action film (if they choose to go that route) or additional special. What the heck happened to Azula, where was she taken after her defeat? Is she permanently bonkers? That seemed to happen a bit too quickly.

Did anyone else have a hard time understanding what the Lion Turtle said? The scenes at the end needed subtitles. The message was the key to defeating the Firelord and yet I couldn't understand it. How frustrating.

I do wonder that supposedly all these events supposedly occured with in a yr. Well, its been three plus yrs waiting for all the episodes. I wonder why they emphasized it so much at the end like they did? Is this another set up? I would have found it much more believeable if all the events we witnessed occured over a two yr people. It would give characters like Zuko and Aang time to grow from all the experiences they have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3138353;
    Wow, that was a very fast 2 hours. Looks as if Nick also removed some of the commercial breaks or just doubled them up in other areas. Some of the natural scene breaks led right into another scene instead of the expected commercial break very unusual but appreciated. It was very nice not to watch commercials every 3 minutes. Overall I really like the movie (last 4 episodes) I like how they dealt with Aany agonizing how to deal with the Firelord/Pheonix King in a way that serves justice and yet in a way that Aang can stay true to himself and his beliefs. The ending seemed a little off. I do think that Zuko asking his father where his mother is a perfect segway into the live action film (if they choose to go that route) or additional special. What the heck happened to Azula, where was she taken after her defeat? Is she permanently bonkers? That seemed to happen a bit too quickly.

Did anyone else have a hard time understanding what the Lion Turtle said? The scenes at the end needed subtitles. The message was the key to defeating the Firelord and yet I couldn't understand it. How frustrating.

I do wonder that supposedly all these events supposedly occured with in a yr. Well, its been three plus yrs waiting for all the episodes. I wonder why they emphasized it so much at the end like they did? Is this another set up? I would have found it much more believeable if all the events we witnessed occured over a two yr people. It would give characters like Zuko and Aang time to grow from all the experiences they have had.
    I kept hoping to see Zuko mother appear. I guess that is the open end they need if the decide to proceed with Book 4. I think the timeline of the 3 books stayed within a year, so we remembered that Aang is just 12. If they had let him age a bit more, then the whole Katara as Aang's love interest wouldn't bother me so much.

I do not get Azula's transformation. Even the artistry around her changed.

While I loved this "movie" but it seems like the last chapter was rushed. I would have loved to have seen more of the White Lotus society and post defeat interactions and less battle.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

I do understand why the creators created a 3 yr story arc as that is the average life of an animated series and they wanted to have a story line that a studio like Nickelodeon would buy. Who knew it would be such a huge hit. But when you develop such interesting characters, an entire world and intergrated culture we (the audience) want to explore it. While many story arcs/lines were resolved in the finale there are still unanswered questions, especially about Azula's madness, Zuko's mother, Zuko's father (yeah, like I believe taking away his firebending will dampen his raging ambition and lust for world domination). That is one messed up family with many issues that need resolving. One thing I sincerely hope is that M Night Shamalan has absolutely nothing to do with the writing. While the idea of him being the director of the live action film is gut wrenching and vomit inducing. As a director he may do a good job as long as he does not develop the story. Maybe just being a workhorse will result in a decent movie. How in the heck this man still is working in the field is beyond me. He is still riding on the success of the Sixth Sense and that was a long time ago.

+ Reply to Thread