+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Amsterdam

New Amsterdam

Anyone plan on watching this tonight? It sounds interesting so I figure I'll give it a looksee. It seems like a Highlander and Moonlight type of show. Fox 9pm EST. It's also on Thursday but I don't know if it's a new episode or repeat of tonight's premiere.

FOX Broadcasting Company: New Amsterdam

NEW AMSTERDAM centers on a brilliant and enigmatic New York homicide detective unlike any other. And he has a profound secret -- he is immortal.

In 1642, JOHN AMSTERDAM (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), then a Dutch solider in the colony of New Amsterdam – later to become New York City -- stepped in front of a sword to save the life of a Native American girl during a massacre of her indigenous tribe. The girl in turn rescued Amsterdam, weaving an ancient spell that conferred immortality upon him. Amsterdam will not age, she told him, until he finds his one true love. Only then will he become whole and ready for mortality.

Amsterdam has found this to be a mixed blessing. Over the course of three centuries, he's experienced endless adventure and honed his many talents. But everyone Amsterdam meets must leave him in time; friends, lovers and children grow old and eventually die, while he remains young. The exhilaration of eternal life has given way to emotional isolation and loneliness; the blessing has become a curse. His sole confidant and current lifelong friend is the sage jazz club owner OMAR (Stephen Henderson), the keeper of Amsterdam's secret, as well as a few of his own.

Having witnessed its entire history from colonial outpost to mega-metropolis, John Amsterdam is the living embodiment of New York City. He and the island of Manhattan are joined -- part and parcel. Bringing to bear the unorthodox techniques and unique knowledge gained from his vast life experience, Amsterdam today is one of the NYPD's best homicide detectives, sparring with his vibrant, strong-willed partner EVA MARQUEZ (Zuleikha Robinson) as they solve difficult murder cases.

But when Amsterdam suffers and then recovers what appears to be a massive heart attack while chasing a suspect, and DR. SARA DILLANE (Alexie Gilmore) pronounces him dead in the ER, he realizes that the prophesy may have come true -- he felt the pain in his heart foretold so long ago. His soul mate must have been nearby. As he works to bring closure to the lives of others, Amsterdam also seeks closure of his own.

From executive producers David Manson ("Saved," "Thief," "Nothing Sacred"), Allan Loeb ("Things Lost in the Fire," "21"), Lasse Hallström ("Chocolat," "The Cider House Rules," "The Hoax"), Leslie Holleran ("Chocolat," "The Cider House Rules," "The Hoax") and Steven Pearl ("Untraceable"), this intriguing series invites viewers to explore the enduring mysteries of life, death and true love.

CCL

Re: New Amsterdam

I'm going to tape it and watch it later. The lead actor is a cutie. It was supposed to originally come on in the Fall of 2007; I'm not sure if the delay bodes well for its fate. I read somewhere that it would be premiering on Tuesday, then showing again on Thursday, before finally airing on Sunday; Sunday will be its regular time-slot. But I'm not sure if they will be showing the same episode on all those nights.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Sounds a lot like Pete Hamill's book, Forever. Normally, I'd pass on this one, but seeing the other things the producers have been involved with, especially Saved and Nothing Sacred, might have changed my mind. I might just check this out. Any idea if it'll be offered on Fox's website?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh phooey.... I hadn't heard about this one.... hopefully Thursday is a repeat! I'll have to check my DirecTv listing.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I'll be watching it after Jericho. I taped it while I was watching the BL. I hope it's worth all the trouble. I'm hearing from some that Moonlight's far better and from others that this one is just as good. We shall see!

I watched this when they aired it a couple of months ago, I thought it was interesting - especially since he seems to have found his 'soul mate' (thank you so much Big Brother for making that a dirty word) after all of his time roaming New York.
    I loved that he was still using his skills as a cabinet maker.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Watched this one tonight (I'm a fan of Moonlight, looooved Angel--still miss Buffy). I was curious about the immortal without superpowers vibe. Pretty cool stuff~ no superpowers, but in 400 years you can hone a few skeeels LOL. I found the first 10-15 minutes a little forced, but I liked the groove once it hit stride. I'll give it a few more watches before I decide if it will be part of my regular schedule.

I watched tonight and loved it! ITA that it did take a little while to hit its stride, but I found myself looking forward to the next episode. I'm really interested in NYC history, so I loved the pics of Times Square and the time lapse at the end.

I was getting a strong Aaron Eckhart vibe with the lead actor. He's definitely a cutie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I taped it and will watch later this morning.

I really liked this one. I'm curious to see why he has let one true friend in on his secret and what that friend's secret must be....
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast