+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Amsterdam

Re: New Amsterdam

I really want to like this show but I'm starting to get annoyed. I'm a big geek on making sure there are rules set and followed (big fan of the Buffyverse). I need a REALLY good explanation on how this guy is able to hop from job to job. How on earth is he a COP of all things right now? WHat does he do about a resume and a background check. Heck, what's his social? I'm not usually a stick in the mud, but I cannot gloss over such obvious questions, I guess....I know, boo hiss, right?

Well, that was certainly a twist tonight - The One is already married! There's the barrier to them immediately getting together, I guess. That was definitely the hottest physical exam I've ever seen - those two really have chemistry!

This is the only non-reality show in prime time that I'm even watching. Of course, there's not much else on, but still.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferTVchick;2834254;
    I really want to like this show but I'm starting to get annoyed. I'm a big geek on making sure there are rules set and followed (big fan of the Buffyverse). I need a REALLY good explanation on how this guy is able to hop from job to job. How on earth is he a COP of all things right now? WHat does he do about a resume and a background check. Heck, what's his social? I'm not usually a stick in the mud, but I cannot gloss over such obvious questions, I guess....I know, boo hiss, right?
    Well, they are giving us background in little dribbles as we go, so hopefully that will all come out. To be a doctor in the Civil War days didn't take much...the concept of going to school to learn to do it was barely there...most surgeons were barbers. And given how well he knows the city I'm pretty sure he'd be able to know how to get new social security numbers etc. Now where he'll run into problems is if security gets more biometric--retina scans, etc. Notice how he was dissing fingerprints...how do we KNOW no two people have the same print...you'd have to fingerprint the world... in case his come back some day from some older version of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferTVchick;2834254;
    Well, they are showing things bit by bit. There was one scene where he was making a birth certificate for himself, so there much be some forgery to it to help fake a background. In 400 years, he has a lot of time to get schooled on various careers and get jobs in that field, but i get the impression he hops from one identity to another, since it would be weird to keep the same for obvious reasons. As for social, maybe identity theft?? I don't know. One thing I wonder, is that with all the centuries in the same city, how does he keep from being recognized so often and how does he not end up accidently sleeping with relatives? That would be a lot of family to keep track of. The whole show is far fetched and preposterous, but it is part of what makes it fun.

I hope the doctor's husband turns out to be a creep because I'd hate for Amsterdam to break-up a marriage just so that he can finally age :nono. Of course the doctor wouldn't be blameless but I'd rather there be a good reason for her and Amsterdam to get together if they do. I like her so far.

I love how he tells his partner how long it's been since he's done something or that he used to be this or that and she just laughs him off . I wonder if one day he will take her into his confidence.

So far this is a keeper until it gets pulled, which most new shows that I like usually do .

I love the way he tells people the truth but they think he is just kidding! His partner is bound to start asking questions before long.
    What if the doctor isnt the one, and tries to use him as a scientific oddity because his bloodwork is so weird. So many things could happen, I cant wait.

I still love the show, but I don't see any chemistry with the doc yet. I think it might have been more fun for him not to know "the one" until they were ready to wrap the series. It would have given him more range to see people and then find that special person later. Keep up the mystery. That said, I really hope that Fox renews this.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

CCL

I enjoyed the doctor more this episode than previously. But as for her being married...ugh. I wouldn't have minded her having a boyfriend, or even engaged and then, eventually, leaving the guy for Amsterdam but I don't really like the idea of breaking up a marriage. Hmmm.
    As for the questions of social security numbers and birth certificates...I'm sure he's learned a few tricks in 400 years. And it's not like he's the only one ever to have a fake/illegally gotten social security number and birth certificate. But I do wonder, as do others, why he has stayed in New York all these years. It would seem to be easier to invent a new personality in a new city every X number of years. Unless he thinks that because he started his new "life" in New York that that is where he has to wait until he finds The One.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2836636;
    I enjoyed the doctor more this episode than previously. But as for her being married...ugh. I wouldn't have minded her having a boyfriend, or even engaged and then, eventually, leaving the guy for Amsterdam but I don't really like the idea of breaking up a marriage. Hmmm.
    As for the questions of social security numbers and birth certificates...I'm sure he's learned a few tricks in 400 years. And it's not like he's the only one ever to have a fake/illegally gotten social security number and birth certificate. But I do wonder, as do others, why he has stayed in New York all these years. It would seem to be easier to invent a new personality in a new city every X number of years. Unless he thinks that because he started his new "life" in New York that that is where he has to wait until he finds The One.
    Maybe we'll get more details about that as the show goes on...what the "rules" are for finding The One and all. I'm pretty sure he can leave town...during the war when he was a doctor I doubt he was in NYC.

I know, I know, I'm impatient!!! Believe me, I don't have a problem with him not being school educated in his endeavors. You'd HAVE to learn a lot of useful things in 400 years---unless you were just a useless person LOL. I did like how they set up the 'doubt' for fingerprints. It's the details I'm hoping to see stay true. I stayed in the same job for 12 years---I'd have noticed if one of my coworkers didn't age. If he insists on staying in NYC, how long does he stay in a job? How does he avoid people who knew him 15 years ago? I mean, New York is a big place, but c'mon. He's met a LOT of people!!!! I'll watch a bit more--methinks doctor's hubby is going to meet a grizzly, untimely end......

+ Reply to Thread