+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Amsterdam

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: New Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by hil34;2827735;
    I only managed to watch half of the first episode because I was just not that into it.. I got bored after a while...
    Too bad, as I thought the 2nd half of the episode improved a lot...as did some others here.

Quote Originally Posted by theatregirl25;2829655;
    This show was okay. It seems to have been done before. It reminded me a lot of Highlander, except without the head chopping off. It also had elements of Angel and Forever Knight.

meh. The lead actor is a hottie though.
    Coming in to watching this show, I was told/somehow led to believe that he was a vampire and that this was another "Moonlight". So I was extremely surprised in the beginning when it turned out he was not at all.

I do think a lot of aspects of this show remind me of other shows. It happens a lot. But I don't think it's intentional. Like the partner relationship reminds me a lot of Life and the relationship between those two. The whole forbidden love is very Angel/Moonlight, etc to me. I just don't really buy either female lead. The more I think about it, the less I like either of them.

I just finished the second episode and I'm going to stick with it and see how it develops. I didn't see it coming that Omar was his bio son. At the beginning when he said he was his son, I thought maybe he was just a father figure. Did the date on Lily's tombstone have the same year Omar was born? I couldn't remember. Something must happen to where Omar is raised by someone else because apparently Amsterdam kept his relationship with Omar on a more friendship level (to save them heartache maybe?). Maybe Omar is raised by his grandfather and only learns of Amsterdam being his father much later on.

And I wonder if his secretary while he was a lawyer is his bio daughter since he was married to her mother. He probably fathered a lot of children in the last several hundred years . He's already referenced a son who died when he was six I think and then the previews show another son so I guess there's a lot to learn. You'd think that since he can't die until he finds his soulmate that he wouldn't be able to reproduce with women who aren't "The One" either but I guess that wouldn't be any fun for the storylines.

I don't like his partner, she's too much like Michelle Rodriquez, who I don't care for. But maybe she'll grow on me. As long as she is never "The One".

I am really liking this, though I admit that I like the flashbacks the most (He looked mighty fine in uniform!). I kind of hope that he has more kids running around. It's too bad that his granddaughter doesn't know who he is.

I wonder how long he can go without his partner becoming an "Eames" to his "Goren" seeing as he is a freakish know-it-all due to his 400 years experience.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2830074;
    I just finished the second episode and I'm going to stick with it and see how it develops. I didn't see it coming that Omar was his bio son. At the beginning when he said he was his son, I thought maybe he was just a father figure. Did the date on Lily's tombstone have the same year Omar was born? I couldn't remember. Something must happen to where Omar is raised by someone else because apparently Amsterdam kept his relationship with Omar on a more friendship level (to save them heartache maybe?). Maybe Omar is raised by his grandfather and only learns of Amsterdam being his father much later on.
    Lily and Amsterdam were involved in 1941 so Omar must have been born in 1942 (also, Omar said he was 65. Since it was 2007 when the show was filmed (I remember 2007 coming up, too), the birth year of 1942 makes sense). The death date on Lily's tombstone was 1945 so she must have died when Omar was around three.

And I wonder if his secretary while he was a lawyer is his bio daughter since he was married to her mother.
    The impression I got was that she was his biological daughter.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'd never heard of this show and caught the first episode Tuesday night after AI - I'm hooked! I liked the second episode even better. 400 years is a lot of history for them to work with in the storylines - I hope it lives up to its potential

Bit iffy on the story. The history makes it interesting. Do wonder how many wives and children he has. Did he keep in touch with his grand children, his greats ....

Wasn't thrilled witht the doctor at all and the partner was one angry female with something to prove how new and creative.

I am surprised how much he tells about himself though... that seems very dangerous.

Also really how many careers can one possibly have? how many identities? while it is fun to speculate for a tv show is it really likely if one has that much time. I also wonder why has he stayed in New York all this time? Why not go out west, to Canada, to South America, Europe. The possibilities are endless. Is he tied to the land mass or something.

I did see a really big oops in the first ep...Native Americans living on the East Coast of America did not live in wigwams that was a plains Indian mode of housing. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I've been looking forward to this show and liked it a lot. I hope they show how he moved from job to job. Obviously he has to move on once it becomes apparent he isnt getting anyolder looking, but in this day of fingerprints, computer searches, and the fact that he seems to be working a lot in New York, makes me wonder how he isnt spotted by those who knew him years ago. On the first episode an older woman recognizes him, but nobdy thinks anything of it. She must have been involved with him long ago. I like the way he tells peopl the truth and they just pass it off as crazy talk---at the AA meeting when he says he hasnt had a drink in 15 thousand days, and other things I cant remember at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;2829157;
    I am thinking that the doctor can't possibly be the one. If she is, then that would be too predictable and the show would be immediately over since being 400 years old, he would grow old and die and that wouldn't bode well if the main character is killed off so soon.
    The way I understood it, when he met The One, he would begin to age like a normal person and not age all at once and die. He probably would just start aging again at the same rate he was aging when everything stopped.

I finally watched the second episode last night and I'm officially hooked! LOVE the lead actor and also like the supporting actors. The NYC history stuff is fantastic - one of my favorite subjects, in fact. I didn't even see that twist about Omar being John's son. That rarely happens anymore. I usually figure out the twist way before and it's not as much fun. Of course he would have had children in 400 years. I thought the secretary was his daughter as well

The "twist" I did figure out right away was that the teacher killed that boy and not her husband. The actress was way too obvious in her facial expressions right from the beginning. Still enjoyed the episode, but more for the stuff with John's back story and his relationship with Omar than for the crime story.

I really hope this show is given a chance to gain an audience (anyone know about the ratings?) because I think it's going to get even better. I'll definitely be watching
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really like this show, and especially like the lead actor. I've seen him in foreign films I've rented and in small parts in American films. His accent was a lot more pronounced and now is hardly noticeable. I agree - he is a hottie and not in a run-of-the-mill way. I also agree with most that the second episode was a lot better and gave us a better handle on who Amsterdam is and was. I think he would have to keep in touch with his children and keep up on all their bloodline so he wouldn't be fooling around with one of his daughters, granddaughters, or great great, etc.

+ Reply to Thread