+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moment Of Truth

Re: The Moment Of Truth

he said YES?! AHAHAHAHA!! I missed that.

OK.. I have to hit the sack. Husband and I went to the gym tonight and I'm pooped.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Ok, as entertaining as the trainwreck might be, I'll admit I have a real problem with this show, considering it is based on something that is complete junk science-

polygraph (lie detector)
    Learn How to Pass (or Beat) a Polygraph Test | AntiPolygraph.org

And while it is sort of mitigated by the knowledge that these people put themselves in this situation out of greed/desire for their 15 min./whatever, I still feel terrible for the ones who may be having their reputations, relationships, and careers ruined.

I agree that lie detectors are far from being an exact science. I however feel no sorrow for those on this show that have agreed to sell their soul for their 15 minutes in the spotlight. It's not like they didn't have a say in the matter.

In a sense, at least they aren't an exact science. If they were 100% right, and it guaranteed correct answers, the contestants can't even blame a false positive. (If that makes any sense, I'm tired.)

And I'm with Unk- these people chose to go on the show.

I still don't understand how anyone would want to bring people they care about on a show like this to hurt them for money. Then again I am not that kind of person so I will never understand it. Was it entertaining at least?
    Yup, with donuts!!

I could see where if a person had a family, friends, and coworkers who knew the polygraph was pseudoscience and looked at the show as a big joke (and didn't care what people watching thought), it could be tempting. But I think the ones that they want to pick will be the simple "nothing to hide" folks who think it is easy $$ and a reputation boost since they're so honest. These are the ones I feel bad for more than the pure 15 min.-no-matter-what ones-- the exceptionally honest who are actually may be more prone to failing a lie detector from what I've read about it.

You may also get people who know how to beat the test, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the interpretations err, or are possibly "pushed" (I'm sure there must be a clause in the contract saying the show can say whatever it wants as far as the interpretations), to the side of the answer that will be the most entertaining for the show. I'm also curious if TPTB may be doing anything during the testing to possibly try to raise the stress levels of the participant and skew the results more.
    Last edited by pakacat; 01-24-2008 at 12:45 PM.

I started watching and then I went to bed. It was on late here and I was really quite tired. It looks like I missed some of the "best" questions. I saw up to the NFL player asking the first guy if he'd ever sneaked a peak. By the sounds of it, the questions got much harder.
    I don't know why someone would sign up for this knowing what could be asked and how bad things could go.

I read on CNN that 23.2 MILLION people watched, which was a 94% retention rate from American Idol. I watched, as much because there was nothing else on as anything else, but I was shocked that 23 million tuned in!

If there was anything else on, I don't think the number would be as high. But it's a darn sure sign that we're fastly running out of stuff to watch on tv. I'm almost afraid to see what the next few months will bring. Even if the strike's resolved, I highly doubt there'll be anything else produced until the Fall launch.

Do you really care about the starving children in Africa? We'll find out tonight.

+ Reply to Thread