+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old and New Put CBS on Top

Old and New Put CBS on Top

From Newsday:

Old and New Put CBS on Top

By Verne Gay
    STAFF WRITER

October 2, 2002

Who's the king of prime time? For the first week of a new season that so far appears strangely . . . normal . . . the answer is in: CBS.

According to the week's final Nielsen numbers released yesterday, the network squeaked past 2001-02 leader NBC. (See ratings below.)

In household ratings, CBS was up 7 percent vs. launch week a year ago, while its three rivals were down. NBC easily won the week in the all-crucial young adult ratings, however, with "Friends" as the top-rated show.

CBS' victory was powered, in part, by new shows. "CSI: Miami" was No. 5, while "Without a Trace" came in 15th.

But CBS won thanks to its standard bearers - "CSI," "Survivor" and "Everybody Loves Raymond." Of the top 30 prime-time shows, CBS had 13 to NBC's 12.

"I've been in the business long enough [to know] that one week does not the season make," CBS Television president Leslie Moonves told The Associated Press. "Anything can happen." Yes, but Moonves should also know that the network that has popped the first week has won the entire season eight of 10 times since 1991.

The news was mostly good for The WB, which had one of the best season premiere weeks in its history, in part due to "Smallville."

For ABC and Fox, the news was mostly sober: Newcomer "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter," with a two-week track, appears to be doing well; "Push, Nevada" does not. Meanwhile, no Fox show appeared in the top 25.

Copyright 2002, Newsday, Inc.

It suprises me that no Fox show was in the top. But which ones of theirs have premeired? I can only think of John Doe.
    I am still patiently awaiting 24 and The Sunday Night Line up!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Most of Fox's shows haven't premiered yet. There's no 24, Malcolm, Simpsons, King of the Hill, etc. I think only Firefly and John Doe have premiered.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I've actually successfully gone several seasons without ever watching a show on Fox (unless you count football)

I think I broke that trend when I watched BIA last season so I could chat with LG about it
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I like Fox.

Actually, now that I think about it, Bernie Mac did premiere (2 episodes so far, but now they're gone for 4 weeks for MLB playoffs), and so did Cedric the Entertainer.

Oh yeah, and That 70's Show premiered also. Can't believe that's not in the Top 25.

I'm so glad that CBS, the butt of jokes for so long, has managed to kick that smug NBC network's butt.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

CBS is really pouring on the steam. They kind of came from the back end right up through to the top. They're also the only network who knows how to do a reality show.

That, and ABC's "Media Site" for press people looks like it was designed by a 12-year old kid who was flunking art, and it's totally impossible to get any useful info from.

Of course, that's one better than Fox, who doesn't even HAVE a media site.

+ Reply to Thread