+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Stone - ABC Premieres Jan 31st

Re: Eli Stone - ABC Premieres Jan 31st

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2733998;
    I LOVE Jonny Lee Miller so this show could be about pretty much anything and I'd be glued to the telly.
    I came in here to say the exact same thing. I saw the ad during Lost and stayed up just for Jonny Lee Miller.

I guess the content of the premiere sparked some controversy because they were advertising for the 11:00 news that someone was protesting it. Since it was a teaser, they didn't actually say who was protesting what, but I took that to mean drug companies were protesting that they were linking vaccines with autism.

Whenever I see Victor Garber I remember that he played Jesus in Godspell back in the day.

Canadian Angel, I'm not sure where 15 minutes would cut off, but the owner of the company admitted in court that his own child did not receive vaccines made by his company at his specific request. The jury awarded them 5.2 million, and they settled with the company in lieu of them appealing the decision. The woman took about 2 million and the rest she requested be awarded to autism research. Then she asked that a part of the settlement be that Eli not lose his job.

At the very end he takes his father's ashes to the top of a mountain in India (I do believe they said India) and sets them free.
    Last edited by hepcat; 02-01-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Thank you muchly! I missed the settlement part and what happens with Eli. I'm not 100% hooked on the show, but I liked it enough that I want to keep watching and keep following.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

A couple of additions... I thought the rest of the money was put into a fund to help other kids who had autism and had had their vaccine. Also they had to take the preservative out of their vaccine.
    The mtn. he took the ashes to was the one on the postcard his dad had given him, telling him he'd do great things, and that one day they'd go there together maybe...while they were on the cable car ride. And the ashes delivery scene was the one he envisioned when his brother and fiancee thought he was about to jump off the terrace and commit suicide. The funny Sherpas were sniffling and one said (in subtitles) I've GOT to call my dad, after listening to what the hero said to his dad's ashes (in the coffee can--don't know if you saw his mom deliver the coffee can to him just before the verdict came in--she said his dad had asked that he get the ashes, that he'd "know what to do with them"--that they were in a can because the vase they were in was too heavy to haul across town--and that before they found out his dad likely had an aneurysm as well she'd felt she shouldn't burden her son with the ashes of a dad he hated).
    And as his ex and the autistic son leave the scene the son looks at him and waves, makes eye contact. And then fiancee comes up to the hero and apologizes for her behavior and he says he loves her and hopes they can work it out and she and he go off to lunch together to talk. At some point her dad (Garber) has said to him that he wasn't really in danger of being fired because he won a $5 million settlement, so was a good lawyer....

FORT Regular

I watched this last night and was somewhat disappointed. I don't say this to take the pleasure away from those who really liked it (to each his own!), so if disecting a tv program ruins all the fun, skip this post.

I am still trying to put a finger on what I didn't quite like about the show. It might be because I so enjoyed Wonderfalls (which was canceled after just one season) - and so far, this just seems like a less compelling version. Reasons that it falls short in comparison start with that the show is focusing on a 30something mainstream lawyer guy rather than an angsty 20something underachiever, of which I much more relate to the latter character. The idea that he'll somewhat be less square as he gets enlightened isn't really all that compelling to me. Another comparison would be that while the "songs in the head" just isn't as quirky or random as the talking stuffed animals in Wonderfalls. And the side kicks in the two shows don't even remotely begin to compete... the cliche'd secretary, the stiff and pretty fiancee, old girlfriend and austic boy of Eli Stone world... vs. crazy best friend, completely nutso family cast and totally hot hot hot potential boyfriend in Wonderfalls.

Putting those differences aside - is it maybe less a problem of comparing it to a similarly premised show and more with the overall writing? I thought the plot was way too predictable. I knew early on that he was going to buck the system, I knew early on that he'd have some sort of mystical connection with the autistic boy (he gives him eye contact, the blocks, etc), the revelation about the brain defect was a bit of a surprise but somehow didn't elicit much emotional reaction from me (other than, bummer dude!). For production value, I thought the dead father and younger version of Eli were horribly casted, it just didn't look/feel like a father/son pair, nor did the younger Eli look even remotely like the older (the schnoz was just overdone). In short, there was just nothing in the premier that I haven't seen before on quirky laws shows or quirky I'm-a-prophet shows: Boston Legal, LA Law, Wonderfalls, Joan of Arc, etc all ground up together until all that is left is bland mush.

That all said, I'll probably watch it a few more times, mostly because my husband seemed to have a slightly more positive reaction to it. I'm still not convinced I got the heart of what was not right about the show, so I'll ponder it more.

Annika

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2779124;
    The autistic kid was a bit odd...for an autistic I mean...making that eye contact and waving at the hero at the end.... Don't know if that was meant to be meaningful or if the writers forgot he was autistic.
    Not all autistic children are withdrawn socially. There is a little boy in my Sunday school class that is autistic. He is a high functioning autistic but he is autistic. The only way you can tell he has a problem is that he doesn't like to sit still during prayer, he likes to hum or sing, or at story time and when he gets his mind on something it stays there. Very determined. He makes eye contact with us. He is a sweet boy, but can be a handful.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Right, I know, dagwood,... a whole spectrum of autistic related disorders out there...but I thought his mom described the lack of eye contact issue as one of his symptoms in her testimony. But maybe I misheard.
    Annika--yeah, I didn't mean it was fabulous, just much better than the totally trashing it review I'd read. I'll probably watch again (since there's not much else on), but so far not "must see" TV for me. So far my favorite characters were the Sherpas (even though that concept was not original it still was well done enough that it tickled my funnybone), which doesn't bode well! I at least liked that they made the no doubt eventually to be ex-fiancee make some moves to redeem herself, and not just be awful--kind of like they've done on Moonlighting with the heroine's original boyfriend, who's clearly going to lose out to the sexy vampire, but you feel for him--only she's not quite that nice.
    I never saw Wonderfalls so can't compare.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I finally watched this show. I loved it. I loved the cast. I loved the humor. I loved the BBW assistant to Stone. (usually they annoy me )

I definitely intend to add this to my TiVo list.

FORT Fan

The best part for me was the accupuncturist! Laughed my head off when he lost the accent! The hard part was not really knowing what was going on at first and found it hard to pay attention to detail. It didn't *feel* like a first episode because it didn't let us get to know the characters. I liked it, and may even Tivo it too.

Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2783192;
    I finally watched this show. I loved it. I loved the cast. I loved the humor. I loved the BBW assistant to Stone. (usually they annoy me )

I definitely intend to add this to my TiVo list.
    I agree Uncle David ~ my hubby and I both loved this show!
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast