+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchwood

Torchwood

Captain Jack Harkness, the former Time Agent and con man from the 51st century last seen traveling with the Doctor, ventures to early 21st century Cardiff. There, he becomes a member of Torchwood Institute, a renegade criminal investigation group founded by Queen Victoria to battle hostile extraterrestrial and supernatural threats.
    "Torchwood" (2006) - Plot summary

Since the season finale is next week, it's a bit late to start talking about this show, but I know I can't be the only FoRTer who's obsessed with Torchwood.

This week's episode with Tosh and Jack going back to 1941 was terrific. I love that we got a little more background on "Jack" and where he got his name. That kiss between him and the real Jack at the end was HOT. I love that BBC doesn't shy away from showing moments like that.

I think they ended the affair between Gwen and Owen awfully fast. I'm hoping that Gwen and Rhys end their relationship, even if she doesn't have anything to do with Owen again outside work. I know that Rhys helps Gwen keep a foot in the real world, but I just can't stand him!

Is anyone else watching? Please tell me I'm not alone in my love for this quirky, sexy, funny, thought-provoking and sometimes scary show!

For the un-initiated:
    BBC - Torchwood - The Official Site homepage
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Torchwood on BBC

I watch it. I enjoy it but can't help comparing it to Doctor Who which I like a lot more It does hold my interest and Captain Jack is very nice on the eyes... This Friday they showed the episode when they brought their dead former worker back, that was the best one I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2690323;

"Torchwood" (2006) - Plot summary

Since the season finale is next week, it's a bit late to start talking about this show, but I know I can't be the only FoRTer who's obsessed with Torchwood.

This week's episode with Tosh and Jack going back to 1941 was terrific. I love that we got a little more background on "Jack" and where he got his name. That kiss between him and the real Jack at the end was HOT. I love that BBC doesn't shy away from showing moments like that.

I think they ended the affair between Gwen and Owen awfully fast. I'm hoping that Gwen and Rhys end their relationship, even if she doesn't have anything to do with Owen again outside work. I know that Rhys helps Gwen keep a foot in the real world, but I just can't stand him!

Is anyone else watching? Please tell me I'm not alone in my love for this quirky, sexy, funny, thought-provoking and sometimes scary show!

For the un-initiated:
    BBC - Torchwood - The Official Site homepage
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;2690470;
    I watch it. I enjoy it but can't help comparing it to Doctor Who which I like a lot more It does hold my interest and Captain Jack is very nice on the eyes... This Friday they showed the episode when they brought their dead former worker back, that was the best one I've seen so far.
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen Dr. Who. I didn't have cable for a while and then I was in school, so I didn't watch all that much TV. I really must go rent all the seasons of Dr. Who and play some catch up!

I think Torchwood is still finding itself as a show and that the later episodes were more cohesive than in the beginning of the season. I can't wait until season 2, which is airing in the UK starting in January. Hopefully, we'll get it here before too long.

ITA, John Barrowman (Jack) is veryeasy on the eyes. He also has a lovely singing voice. I love that he's out and proud and yet doesn't seem to make a big deal out of it - it's just his life. Plus, his partner is adorable. They look like an ad for Ralph Lauren.

That episode you saw, "They Keep Killing Suzie" (episode 9) was one of my favorites. It really cemented Gwen's position in Torchwood. I think maybe she felt like a replacement for Suzie rather than a contributor in her own right. They're now up to episode 12, with the 13th and final of the season to air this coming Saturday. It stinks that we're so far behind the UK in seeing the show. I'm doing all I can to avoid spoilers for the season finale and, of course, I'm placing my pre-order for season 1 on DVD (released on January 22nd) this week!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Well, Doctor Who and Torchwood are two very different shows lol. Doctor Who tends to be, well, most of the time, a tad more light hearted. Torchwood is much darker than what Doctor Who seems to be. I love both shows, though I must admit that I liked Captain Jack more in Doctor Who. He seemed more sarcastic and made more funny quips. That.... and I liked the looks of him in leather pants...
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I just started watching this show (only 2 episodes "under my belt") but I LOVE IT! James Marsters brought me on board (would watch him file his nails) but the other actors (Captain Jack, especially) brought me back for episode 2. Can someone bring me up to speed on how Jack fit into Dr. Who (another show I've never watched) and how he landed on Torchwood (assuming it's a spinoff?)? And I'm a bit confused about his sexuality. There seems to be history and some sparking between him and one of the women on the show (don't know the character names yet!), as well as him and one of the guys (not counting those smoking scenes with James Marsters).

Thanks!

Goodness, I am in love with Torchwood!

Just when will Gwen dump Rhys?

Have you seen what has been happening lattely? Poor Owen...

Quote Originally Posted by cadcmmngs;2791605;
    I just started watching this show (only 2 episodes "under my belt") but I LOVE IT! James Marsters brought me on board (would watch him file his nails) but the other actors (Captain Jack, especially) brought me back for episode 2. Can someone bring me up to speed on how Jack fit into Dr. Who (another show I've never watched) and how he landed on Torchwood (assuming it's a spinoff?)? And I'm a bit confused about his sexuality. There seems to be history and some sparking between him and one of the women on the show (don't know the character names yet!), as well as him and one of the guys (not counting those smoking scenes with James Marsters).

Thanks!
    I can't help you about the Dr. Who stuff, since I don't know much about it.

John Barrowman, the actor who plays Captain Jack is openly gay but I think his character is just OPEN. He seems to be willing to shag (or at least make out with) either sex. He and Gwen did have a moment last season when it looked like something more would happen, but then he disappeared after saving the world (). He's also had a bit of a flirtation with Ianto. Last season Gwen and Owen had an affair as well. I was glad Tosh finally got some action with the 1918 guy. I was starting to feel sorry for her!

I LOVED seeing James Marsters back on TV. I'm always amazed at how convincing his British accent is. His regular speaking voice actually sounds fake to me! I'm hoping we'll see him back on the show before too long. He's just good TV!

TACA_Mom_LA - ITA. I've been waiting for Gwen to dump Rhys for months! This next episode looks pretty juicy. The previews hint at Rhys not being as "innocent" as he's pretended to be. Can't wait!

Premium Member

I've finally gotten around to watching the first season (up to episode 9 or 10, I think) and one thing keeps bothering me. (It's rather insignificant, and obviously not enough to deter me from watching every single episode, hehe, but still...)

So, during the opening, the voice over says something about how it all changes in the 21st century, and how Torchwood is "arming the human race against the future" or something to that effect. What I want to know is... how, exactly? Seems to me the few alien artifacts we see them come across, they lock away in vault never to be used again. And they do not share their alien technology or information with any other agencies or organizations, since again, the opening voice over says something about "outside the government, beyond the police" etc.

So, does this get cleared up in Season 2 at all? Or do I just have to wait and find out?

Quote Originally Posted by mozzz;2805918;
    I've finally gotten around to watching the first season (up to episode 9 or 10, I think) and one thing keeps bothering me. (It's rather insignificant, and obviously not enough to deter me from watching every single episode, hehe, but still...)

So, during the opening, the voice over says something about how it all changes in the 21st century, and how Torchwood is "arming the human race against the future" or something to that effect. What I want to know is... how, exactly? Seems to me the few alien artifacts we see them come across, they lock away in vault never to be used again. And they do not share their alien technology or information with any other agencies or organizations, since again, the opening voice over says something about "outside the government, beyond the police" etc.

So, does this get cleared up in Season 2 at all? Or do I just have to wait and find out?
    Mozzz! I'm glad to see you've discovered one of my guilty pleasures (along with One Tree Hill, of course!)! You mean you actually want a reasonable explanation about a show based on the premise that there's a time/space rift in Cardiff that allows aliens to come through to our world? Seriously though, they do use some of the artifacts, including the Resurrection Glove that they use to bring back Suzie in season 1. They also just used it in this last episode with Owen. Basically, Torchwood tracks down any creatures that come through the rift and either sends them back where they came from or contains them....or, you know, blows them up. Honestly, I just think the opening sounds good and they maybe don't use it as a template for the show.

Well, I've watched episodes 8 and 9 (BBC America is only up to episode 7) and I'm dying to talk about them! I'll be good and won't spoil anyone. In two weeks I'll be back in here ready to discuss.

I have to say that I am HATING the whole Owen is dead but not dead thing. Seeing his "body" on the autopsy table in the last episode was awful. I thought that, after Suzie, we wouldn't be seeing any more Torchwood officers dying. I hope they'll be able to bring him back fully down the line....maybe with one of those alien artifacts they like to collect!

Seriously, I think John Barrowman would have sexual chemistry with a mailbox. It doesn't matter who he has a scene with, he's just got it They would never get away with half the things he says if the show was on American network TV. I think it was the episode two weeks ago when Gwen asked him if he'd ever eaten alien meat and how it was and Jack said "He didn't have any complaints." I saw a video on YouTube of him using his Scottish accent and he's even sexier with the brogue, if that's even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cadcmmngs;2791605;

Thanks!
    Captain Jack first appeared in an episode of Dr Who that took place during WW2. He played a time traveling con man type. He later hitched a ride and became a campanion of the Doctor along with Rose. Why he can't die is shown during the season finale of season 1 of Dr Who. They go on to explain why Jack can't die in "The Sounds of Drums" (i believe that's the episode's title) in season 2 of Doctor Who. I really don't know HOW he came to be with Torchwood, but Torchwood itself was made up in Doctor Who. By Queen Victoria herself.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast