+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Torchwood

Re: Torchwood on BBC

I just found this article from last week about the show and several new cast members: Dichen Lachman and Alexa Havins Join <i>Torchwood</i>

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with this. I liked Alexa Havens on All My Children and Dichen was awesome on Dollhouse. So, that's two Americans (the other being Mekhi Phifer, who I'm less thrilled about) and one Australian in the cast now. There are spoilers in the article about the characters and how they figure into Torchwood, so beware! Michael Ausiello has clearly never seen the show - he refers to Eve Miles as "Eva."

For me - and many fans - Captain Jack and Gwen are the stars, so I hope Russell Davies and the people at Starz are sensitive to that and work the new members of Torchwood in well and don't let them take over.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Television - News - 'Torchwood: Miracle Day' begins filming - Digital Spy

BBCThe BBC has announced that filming has begun on the fourth series of Torchwood.

The ten-part run - subtitled Miracle Day - commenced shooting yesterday morning, according to the show's official Twitter feed.

The account's first post read: "Day 1. First shot 8:01am. Coffee pots are bottomless today."

A second post from the production office later confirmed that executive producers Russell T. Davies and Julie Gardner have begun work on the second and third episodes.

It stated: "Russell and Julie are here today to oversee filming and attend concept meetings for EP 2 & 3. (sic)"

Torchwood: Miracle Day stars John Barrowman, Eve Myles, Mekhi Phifer and Bill Pullman and will air on BBC One in the UK and Starz in the US.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4144861;
    I just found this article from last week about the show and several new cast members: Dichen Lachman and Alexa Havins Join <i>Torchwood</i>

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with this. I liked Alexa Havens on All My Children and Dichen was awesome on Dollhouse. So, that's two Americans (the other being Mekhi Phifer, who I'm less thrilled about) and one Australian in the cast now. There are spoilers in the article about the characters and how they figure into Torchwood, so beware! Michael Ausiello has clearly never seen the show - he refers to Eve Miles as "Eva."

For me - and many fans - Captain Jack and Gwen are the stars, so I hope Russell Davies and the people at Starz are sensitive to that and work the new members of Torchwood in well and don't let them take over.
    I checked out this article and followed several of the links regarding the casting. What surprised me the most were the comments wanting Ianto, Owen and Tosh back. The Ianto crowd were very rabid and many posters commented on how the would hate Torchwood to become the Jack and Gwen show. One poster even called John Barrowman and Eve Miles substandard tv actors and the others much better. I for one have no problem with characters dying off. It is rather ridiculous in American tv series were you have rather large casts that sign 5 or 7 yr contracts and never die off. You end up getting the "Red Shirt" syndrome in all the episodes, to the point its a bit of a joke because your main cast never dies regardless of the situation.

I for one watched Torchwood because of Captain Jack Harkness aka "John Barrowman". I really couldn't stand Owen from day one. I thought he was a totally hateful character and throughly disliked him and his Owen centric episodes. Didn't mind that Tosh was killed either, seemed like she was depressed all the time and very melancholy and wanted to die. As far as Ianto I thought he was a very minor character who hardly had any scene time at all. I think the main point of the British series was Gwen interacting with Jack, Gwen with her moral right and wrong and humanness vs Jack's losing touch with his humanity and becoming this brutal thing that does anything to uphold his mandate even sacrificing his own son. Also the whole point of Torchwood is that Jack had been Torchwood since the Victorian era and he has seen multiple teams die on him.

I am looking forward to watching the 10 episode Miracle Day story arc. I have read several articles that mentions it took awhile for Torchwood to find its legs and that they are getting away from the monster a week type shows to more of a threat against the world type story (like Children of the Earth) that take 10 episodes to resolve.

You know, I wasn't a huge fan of either Tosh or Owen - I liked them, but I didn't LOVE them, but I thought their deaths were SO sad. I can hardly stand to watch that episode now because it's so heartbreaking. Tosh's unrequited love and then dying at the same time as Owen, listening to it happen were just too much. It was great TV, but so hard to watch.

To call Barrowman and Eve Myles substandard is pretty rude and inaccurate, IMO. The only reason many fans will watch this new version is because those two are on the show.

One of the things I love about Joss Whedon shows - and yes, probably one of the things I hate, too - is that pretty much no one is safe. He's known for killing off lead actors. While it's horrible and sad, it keeps the audience on their toes. I mean, you knew Buffy wasn't going to get it, but you could never be sure if anyone else would survive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

While I had no problem with any of the characters (though Owen was really pushing it!!), Torchwood for me has been the core of Jack and Gwen.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4145039;
    One of the things I love about Joss Whedon shows - and yes, probably one of the things I hate, too - is that pretty much no one is safe. He's known for killing off lead actors. While it's horrible and sad, it keeps the audience on their toes. I mean, you knew Buffy wasn't going to get it, but you could never be sure if anyone else would survive.
    This totally sounds like I was saying Torchwood is a Joss show. While it has a lot of similarities, I know it's not. Just in case someone thought I was clueless.

I actually grew to like Owen after he died and came back. Him yearning for all the things he couldn't experience any more made him more sympathetic.

It was cool to see Naoko Mori on this last episode of Private Practice - she played the wife of the man whose mistress showed up at the hospital. Strange to hear her speaking with a British accent!

FORT Fogey

I'm happy to see Mehki on another show after his character was eliminated on Lie To Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4146305;
    This totally sounds like I was saying Torchwood is a Joss show. While it has a lot of similarities, I know it's not. Just in case someone thought I was clueless.

I actually grew to like Owen after he died and came back. Him yearning for all the things he couldn't experience any more made him more sympathetic.
    It was cool to see Naoko Mori on this last episode of Private Practice - she played the wife of the man whose mistress showed up at the hospital. Strange to hear her speaking with a British accent!
    I never warmed up to the Owen character, I thought he was abrasive, abusive, arrogant and thoroughly unlikeable. I was glad when he died and wasn't please that he came back. I wouldn't have been that upset if Ianto had lived and the core group had been Jack, Ianto and Gwen. I do wonder about the new dynamic of introduction at least 2 new CIA characters. Will they Americanize the show too much. I know the critics over at TV Guide have given dismal critiques to the American version of Skins, a 2 out of a 10 and a 6 for Being Human. In fact the critics have said if you have watched the original version of Being Human it's sort of a waste to watch the SyFy version because of the bland casting choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4146936;
    In fact the critics have said if you have watched the original version of Being Human it's sort of a waste to watch the SyFy version because of the bland casting choices.
    I decided to not watch the SyFy version for a variety of reasons and one being that I don't like the actors they chose. Boring!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4146994;
    I decided to not watch the SyFy version for a variety of reasons and one being that I don't like the actors they chose. Boring!
    Ditto! Not tuning in either. I'll take the original Being Human, thank you

+ Reply to Thread