+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Torchwood

Re: Torchwood on BBC

Just finished Season 2 finale "Exit Wounds" - and I must say that I cried, and cried and cried.
    Even though I was never a big Owen fan, learning of his history, fiance - helped me understand why I always considered him so aloof and cold. His ending warmed me toward the character immensely, and I was glad the final moment was full of light.

Tosh - one of my favorites all through the two seasons, I was so sad to learn how she came to Torchwood, and her passing was really hard for me. Her little message at the end, I couldn't stop

Looked forward to watching the 3rd season, even if shortened and especially looking forward to season four!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Well, Season three "Children of Earth" was certainly the best season yet! I really loved the show, and am disappointed that Ianto is now dead. (sigh)
    Still excited there will be a season four, any word as to when they will start production?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3734942;
    Well, Season three "Children of Earth" was certainly the best season yet! I really loved the show, and am disappointed that Ianto is now dead. (sigh)
    Still excited there will be a season four, any word as to when they will start production?
    They have been flashing short shorts on BBC America, so you know they will be a next season but not when. I expect sometime next year.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

There is talk that FOX wants to make an American version of Torchwood.

'Torchwood': The Pros & Cons of a U.S. Remake - Yahoo! TV Blog

'Torchwood': The Pros & Cons of a U.S. Remake
    By Angel Cohn, TWoP | Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 4:20 PM

John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness
    BBC Worldwide/Todd AnthonyFox is teaming up with British producer Russell T. Davies to work on developing an Americanized version of his popular UK show "Torchwood." For those unfamiliar with it, it's a sci-fi series that involves a small team of crime fighters who deal primarily with the otherworldly.

As a fan of the show, my initial reaction to the Fox news was one of horror, and while I'm still highly skeptical that this remake should ever make it to the screen, there are some potentially good things about the idea. Here are the pros and cons of bringing Captain Jack across the Atlantic:

Pro: Russell T. Davies
    If you are going to make a new version of a landmark show, having the creator on hand is at least a promising start. And Davies certainly does know how to make addictively geeky television.

Con: Less UK "Torchwood"?
    If Davies is working on this remake, and if star John Barrowman may join him (see below), what does that mean for fans of the UK version who were left desperate for more after the devastating finale of "Torchwood: Children of Men"?

Pro: John Barrowman
    There are rumors that John Barrowman might be tapped to reprise his role as Captain Jack Harkness. He's a great actor that a lot of Americans probably knew nothing about. Being on a show here would expand his international appeal, and honestly, I personally have a hard time imagining anyone being able to do that part justice.

Con: John Barrowman
    Fox has an iffy track record with sci-fi, so launching a new series with someone who isn't really famous here could be a recipe for disaster and certain cancellation. But then again, "House" worked...

Pro: We Could Use a Sexy American Sci-fi Show
    While "Torchwood" has a lot in common with "Fringe," one of the things that makes it stand out is its very adult nature. It's not Showtime After Dark, but there's definitely a lot of sex between the co-workers (in various permutations), which makes all the alien-corralling that much more fun.

Con: Probably Less Gay
    Captain Jack isn't just gay or bisexual, he's omnisexual (meaning that he'll have sex with men, women, and aliens), which is another one of the great things about "Torchwood." He's an equal opportunity flirter. But I have a hard time believing that network TV will air all the steamy scenes, especially if they involve two men.

Con: More Conventional Co-Star
    I'm going to be upfront about this: I think Eve Myles is totally cute and smart and makes an awesome Gwen Cooper, but I have a hunch that the casting folks stateside are going to be pressured to try to find someone who is more conventionally gorgeous. Knowing Fox, they'll likely find a way to make Olivia Wilde part of this.

Pro/Con: Previous American Adaptations
    Some overseas shows do this transition well. Just look at "Life on Mars," which was fairly well-executed, but short-lived, or "The Office," which really found its footing after it broke out of the UK mold a bit, or "Queer as Folk," which went to even racier places for many seasons. But for every success story, there are ten failed examples like "Kath and Kim" or "Coupling" or "Worst Week." And there's not much worse than a bad version of something you loved
    I think this would be a very difficult show to cast.

Especially if they didn't get Barrowman! At least for me.

I guess he could start over with a new crew..... I could mentally write off Gwen riding off into the sunset, raising a family. But, without Barrowman - who would watch? It wouldn't be the same.
    Christopher Reeve

Barrowman would definitely bring me to it.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

If it had Barrowman, I'd watch. I like Gwen also. And I keep hoping nothing happens to Rhys.

I love the Captain Jack character and Barrowman is perfect in it.

Why can't they just find their own ideas? No way the show would work on American network TV...maybe SyFy....maybe. Without John Barrowman, I wouldn't even give it a glimpse. He IS Torchwood.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3802910;
    If it had Barrowman, I'd watch. I like Gwen also. And I keep hoping nothing happens to Rhys.

I love the Captain Jack character and Barrowman is perfect in it.
    I named one of my cat's after Captain Jack. Everyone thinks he (the cat) is named after Captain Jack Sparrow but I always tell them that he is named after Captain Jack Harkness.

Good taste in cat names!

There are some good interview clips with Barrowman on youtube. Non-Torchwood related.

Am I the only one who watched that Maria show on BBC America because Barrowman was a judge? I just like him. He seems like a good person, as well as being very watchable.

+ Reply to Thread