+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Torchwood

Re: Torchwood on BBC

Thank you BBC America for showing reruns of Torchwood, I have finally seen all of season 1. I think overall it is an interesting show but I have always felt that individual episodes vary widely in quality and writing from standard monster of the week so lets shoot everything to some very moving shows. That has always been my main complaint about the show the very unevenness of it. For all the Ianto and Tosh fans out their who clamour for their return Tosh and Ianto are barely there at all. There are one or 2 Owen centric shows and really not that much of Captain Jack. Season 1 is very much a Gwen show. Makes me very curious as to how Torchwood will be on STARZ.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Almost finished with season 2. One I have always luv'ed about Dr. Who is how light hearted it is and when Captain Jack Harkness appeared on the series he was a wonderful companion for the Doctor. Unfortunately, Russell Davies, the writer of Torchwood, has decided that that this series will be full of doom and gloom and pathos and hopelessness. While it has its moments this series can be incredible hard to watch with very unlikeable characters like Owen Harper, and a very negative world view.

FYI: new Torchwood episodes on STARZ:

FORT Fogey

Fab news! Must keep Starz now!

I'm so ridiculously excited about this!

I'll have to re-subscribe to Starz to watch the show!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member

Yaa!!!
    How I have missed Captain Jack

Well, Gwen and Jack will be back, not sure about Rhys, but the new members of Torchwood will be the American cast. Hope that turns out better than the Syfy channels adaption of Being Human.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Well, Gwen and Jack will be back, not sure about Rhys, but the new members of Torchwood will be the American cast. Hope that turns out better than the Syfy channels adaption of Being Human.
    I sure hope so! The Syfy Being Human is only watchable because of one character: Josh. I would think the Starz budget would be a bit larger to get better talent for Torchwood. *fingers crossed*

Torchwood: Miracle Day - An Original Series by STARZ

One day, nobody dies. All across the world, nobody dies. And then the next day, and the next, and the next, people keep aging — they get hurt and sick — but they never die. The result: a population boom, overnight.

With all the extra people, resources are finite. It’s said that in four month's time, the human race will cease to be viable. But this can’t be a natural event – someone’s got to be behind it. It’s a race against time as C.I.A. agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy. The answers lie within an old, secret British institute. As Rex keeps asking “What is Torchwood?", he’s drawn into a world of adventure, and a threat to change what it means to be human, forever.

“Torchwood,” premiering July 8, stars John Barrowman (“Torchwood”, “Desperate Housewives”) as Captain Jack Harkness, Eve Myles (“Torchwood”, “Little Dorrit") as Gwen Cooper, Mekhi Phifer (“ER”, “Lie to Me”) as Rex Matheson and Bill Pullman (While You Were Sleeping, Independence Day) as Oswald Danes.

Torchwood returns to television under new management | TG Daily

Torchwood returns to television under new management
    Posted on Mar 26th 2011 by CB Droege
    0Share
    Email

For its new season, Torchwood is being produced in the US, and almost the entire cast is changing.

Last time we saw Torchwood, it was starting to get really heavy: Major characters were being killed off, plot arcs were being disassembled, and the protagonist came close to giving up on life on behalf of, not just herself and her unborn child, but the entire human race.

She wondered if perhaps The Doctor had chosen not to save the Earth because none of them deserved to be saved. The story closed on a hopeful note, of course, but with the Torchwood office destroyed, and most of the team missing or killed, what could they do next?

Apparently, they go to Disneyland.

Or close to it... The series production has been picked up by Hollywood production company Starz, and the new base of Torchwood will be in Los Angeles. Filming began last month, and the series will premier on 8 July 2011.

John Barrowman and Eve Myles will be returning to the cast as Capt. Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper, and a few other secondary characters who survived "Torchwood: Children of Earth."

Joining them will be Mekhi Phifer, as a CIA Operative; Alexa Havins, as a CIA analyst; Arlene Tur, as a surgeon; and Bill Pullman, as a convicted child-killer who becomes mysteriously unkillable on the day of his execution.

The plot will center on this strange immortality, which seems to have struck the entire world at once. At first seen as a miracle - thus the subtitle of the series - it soon becomes a nightmare, as the hundreds of thousands of people who are supposed to be dying each day around the world are quickly starting to overbalance food supplies and other resources. Gwen and Jack team up with the CIA to solve the mystery of this "curse," which will span ten-episodes.

The move to shorter ‘mini-series’ style arcs over the old monster-of-the-week format began with the last Torchwood series, Children of Earth, which lasted five episodes. That was an awful long time with a single mystery, and the amount of action and interaction was almost too much, and perhaps, at times, became a bit melodramatic.

What will happen with ten episodes (or, perhaps more appropriately, a ten-hour Torchwood episode). Is that even viable? If the previous series is any indication, the characters are liable to explode with dramatic tension before it’s over.

+ Reply to Thread