+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: WGA Strike & all related issues

Re: WGA Strike & all related issues

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2662138;
    Here's a horrible thought. What if they decide to burn off the unaired episodes of Pirate Master to fill in some of the empty spots? I know I'll end up watching it - I won't be able to help myself. And then I'll have to live with the shame for the rest of my life.
    I too was wondering if this strike will resurrect some old shows that they never finished airing. I thought of "The Nine". It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I don't really understand why they are angry with Ellen. She stated repeatedly on her show that she supports them and hopes they get everything they want. She has contracts. What kind of person would she be if she didn't honor those? I'd much rather see her honor her own commitments than to go on a strike that's not her to make.

FORT Fogey

Personally, I respect Ellen for doing her show. But the issues surrounding her illustrate the ugly realities of a strike. The writers need for shows (and down the road movies) to be essentially shut down in order to enjoythe most suceess possible. They need studios and networks to get to a point of not being able to function wtihout them, so the WGA has the advantage at the barganing table. Everyone who crosses the line, contract or not, weakens their position.

On the flip side, production of these shows is not exclusively WGA members and high paid talent. There are a lot of people who are facing lay offs because production can't happen without the writers showing up and/or talent crossing the lines.

Bottom line - no one really wins in strikes.

I've read that in some of those letters the networks have sent out to producers who are striking they specifically stated that they would start firing their employees. That's low but expected and I think its reasons like these that make people like Ellen go back to work. Not necessarily the contracts but because they don't want to see the people who were hired to work for them suffering. Read it was one of the things that got Dave Letterman and others like him off the picket line so quickly last time and since it worked before... the networks didn't waste time doing it again (last time it was weeks before they tried their aces)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2662138;
    Here's a horrible thought. What if they decide to burn off the unaired episodes of Pirate Master to fill in some of the empty spots? I know I'll end up watching it - I won't be able to help myself. And then I'll have to live with the shame for the rest of my life.
    for those that watch the BACHELOR..the Fleiss master is probably already rubbing his hands together in pure glee... last time we had a writers strike all we had was a bunch of reality tv.... what I am hoping is that this MIGHT generate a new viewing audience for Jericho..and we are gonna get some LOST mini episodes starting next week...THANK GOODNESS...I am having some bad LOST withdrawels
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;2662816;
    for those that watch the BACHELOR..the Fleiss master is probably already rubbing his hands together in pure glee... last time we had a writers strike all we had was a bunch of reality tv.... what I am hoping is that this MIGHT generate a new viewing audience for Jericho..and we are gonna get some LOST mini episodes starting next week...THANK GOODNESS...I am having some bad LOST withdrawels
    Huh? I haven't heard anything about Lost mini-episodes???
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Valerie in Redwood City, California: Lost!
    Just in case you haven't seen it yet, the first Lost minisode is up. It's Jack-tastic, starring Matthew Fox and John Terry doing a scene written by Carlton Cuse. There are 13 minisodes in total, to be released each Monday, and leading right up to the week of Feb. 5, 2008, which is almost certain to be the week Lost premieres. Am I the only one who's not sure whether I should laugh or cry?
    Source: (Beware many spoilers for many shows within link) Watch with Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;2662816;
    for those that watch the BACHELOR..the Fleiss master is probably already rubbing his hands together in pure glee... last time we had a writers strike all we had was a bunch of reality tv....
    I wonder if he might be pressed into reviving the Bachelorette...

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2664076;
    I wonder if he might be pressed into reviving the Bachelorette...
    GOSH...I hope so 25 sweaty hot buff men...wooohoooo and I personally would love to see either Sadie or Moana be the bachelorette if they would do it and Fleiss doesn't totally destroy the person we like with his editing
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

The strike is ruining my travel plans. I'm going to LA this week and wanted to go to a taping. Oh well. And I'm happy to see that Scrubs has about 9 more episodes.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

I saw on the news last night that Ellen is considering moving her show to New York for taping, because she's really taking a beating out here. I feel so bad for her. Her relationship ended (supposedly anyway), she had that whole dog drama, and now, nasty little jingles are being sung about her over bullhorns.
    Ellen has a "no strike" clause in her contract. What the heck is she supposed to do? She has a lot more on the line that that gut with the bullhorn, that's for sure. It's a shame, and I think it stinks.

+ Reply to Thread