+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: WGA Strike & all related issues

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: WGA Strike & all related issues

Link Here

Excerpts from an e-mail from Dale Alexander, a key grip on NBC's "The Office":

"Our show was shut down and we were all laid off this week. I've been watching the news since the WGA strike was announced and I have yet to see any coverage dedicated to the effect that this strike will have on the below the line employees.

"I respect the WGA's position. They probably do deserve a larger percentage of profit participation, but a lengthy strike will affect more than just the writers and studios. On my show we had 14 writers. There were also 2 cameramen, 2 camera assistants, 4 hair stylists, 4 makeup artists, 7 wardrobe people, 4 grips, 4 electricians, 2 craft service, 4 props people, 6 construction, 1 medic, 3 art department, 5 set dressers, 3 sound men, 3 stand-ins, 2 set PAs, 4 assistant directors, 1 DGA trainee, 1 unit manager, 6 production office personnel, 3 casting people, 4 writers assistants, 1 script supervisor, 2 editors, 2 editors assistants, 3 post production personnel, 1 facilities manager, 8 drivers, 2 location managers, 3 accountants, 4 caterers and a producer who's not a writer. All 102 of us are now out of work.

"I have been in the motion picture business for 33 years and have survived three major strikes. None of which have been by any of the below the line unions. During the 1988 WGA strike many of my friends lost their homes, cars and even spouses. Many actors are publicly backing the writers, some have even said that they would find a way to help pay bills for the striking writers. When the networks run out of new shows and they air repeats the writers will be paid residuals. The lowest paid writer in television makes roughly twice the salary than the below the line crewmember makes. Everyone should be paid their fair share, but does it have to be at the expense of the other 90% of the crewmembers. Nobody ever recoups from a strike, lost wages are just that, lost.

"We all know that the strike will be resolved. Eventually both sides will return to the bargaining table and make a deal. The only uncertainty is how many of our houses, livelihoods, college educations and retirement funds will pay for it."
    Excellent letter written by Dale Alexander
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Excellent letter and illustrates why so many of us are torn in whether or not we should support this strike.

I, on principle and well logic, think they SHOULD be paid a fair share... however.. not at the expense of all these other people and that's what makes it rather difficult for me to say "yes, I support this strike".

Because truth is? A large part of me doesn't because like I said from the very beginning.... I feel for all the peripheral people who will be hurt by this. And its not just those on the show but what about the deli's, dry cleaners, etc who make money when the shows are being taped?

Oh and to answer the question about how many of us work overtime for free? Those in the military do it every day, 365 days a year as do any employee on a set monthly salary as opposed to hourly pay. But especially those in the military, we don't get paid overtime and yet we are "at work" 24/7/365.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Interesting blog out there by writers...

Link Here
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

For anybody curious about how many more epi's they have of their favorite shows...

Keep in mind: The information below is subject to change, particularly if both sides get back to the bargaining table and resolve this frakkin' thing!

30 Rock: Ten episodes will be produced. Five episodes have aired, so there are five left.

Back to You: Nine episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are three left.

Bionic Woman: Roughly nine episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are three left.

Bones: Twelve episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are six left.

Boston Legal: Fifteen episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are nine left.

Brothers & Sisters: Twelve episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are six left.

Chuck: Thirteen episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are six left.

CSI: NY: Fourteen episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are seven left.

Desperate Housewives: Ten episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are four left.

Dirty Sexy Money: Eleven episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are five left.

Friday Night Lights: Fifteen episodes will be produced. The sixth episode airs tonight, Nov. 9, so there are nine left.

Gossip Girl: Thirteen episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are six left.

Grey's Anatomy: Eleven episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are four left.

Heroes: Eleven episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are four left.

House: Twelve episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are six left.

Jericho: Seven episodes will be produced. None have aired yet, so there are seven episodes left.

Law & Order: SVU: Fourteen episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are eight left.

Lost: Eight episodes will be produced. None have aired yet, so there are eight episodes left.

Medium: Nine episodes will be produced. None have aired yet, so there are nine episodes left.

Men in Trees: Nineteen episodes will be produced. The fifth episode airs tonight, Nov. 9, so there are 14 left.

Numbers: Twelve episodes will be produced. The seventh episodes airs tonight, Nov. 9, so there are five left.

One Tree Hill: Twelve episodes will be produced. None have aired yet, so there are twelve episodes left.

The Office: Twelve half-hour episodes will be produced. Eleven half-hour episodes have aired, so there is one half-hour episode left.

Prison Break: Thirteen episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are six left.

Private Practice: Ten or 11 episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are four or five left.

Pushing Daisies: Nine episodes will be produced. Five episodes have aired, so there are four left.

Reaper: Ten to 12 episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are three to five left.

Samantha Who?: Twelve episodes will be produced. Four episodes have aired, so there are eight left.

Scrubs: Twelve episodes will be produced. Three episodes have aired, so there are nine left.

Shark: Eleven episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are five left.

Smallville: Fifteen episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are eight left.

Supernatural: Ten to 12 episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are four to six left.

Ugly Betty: Twelve or 13 episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are five or six left.
    Quoted from TV Guide online and the author states that he will add more as he gets the information.

I love Men in Trees so 12 more epi's is good news for me but I want to cry (not really lol) about Private Practice.

Source

Ugh.

I don't care what happens. I am NOT watching "One Tree Hill".

"Men In Trees", fine. I can deal with that one.

At least there's a decent amount of Denny Crane madness left, plus all of "Jericho".

But who are we kidding? If they are really digging in for a long strike then after November (a "sweeps" period--which is why they are still airing shows no matter how lean things are), even with a few "in the bank" I bet we don't see much more of our old favorites until the next sweeps period (which is usually February, unless Nielsen changes things). Basically we are in for at least 60 days of nothingness.

I do wonder how many old Holiday specials will be dug up for rebroadcast in late November/all of December. Probably far more than usual.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

It may not be that bleak. I've read that they (the networks) are holding back their mid season replacements (because they have mostly whole sets of those) until they run out of current shows.

Silver lining? Men in Trees is a great show and since they have so many epi's left this might be just what they needed to get more ratings and maybe a better day/time slot. One can hope, right? Same goes for Jericho.. never watched it but that may change when nothing else is on.

I'm with you Kron in regards to One Tree Hill. I would rather watch the dust collecting on my blacked out tv screen LOL!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2656780;
    . . . as a result of an elongated strike we'll likely see tons more reality TV. And probably NOT the good stuff--but the lowest, cheapest, common denominator stuff.
    Bring it on, I say!!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2661255;
    Ugh.
    Basically we are in for at least 60 days of nothingness.
    At least we can come to the FoRT and keep each other company during our time of nothingness!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2661255;
    Ugh.

I don't care what happens. I am NOT watching "One Tree Hill".

"Men In Trees", fine. I can deal with that one.

At least there's a decent amount of Denny Crane madness left, plus all of "Jericho".

But who are we kidding? If they are really digging in for a long strike then after November (a "sweeps" period--which is why they are still airing shows no matter how lean things are), even with a few "in the bank" I bet we don't see much more of our old favorites until the next sweeps period (which is usually February, unless Nielsen changes things). Basically we are in for at least 60 days of nothingness.

I do wonder how many old Holiday specials will be dug up for rebroadcast in late November/all of December. Probably far more than usual.
    It all depends on how long things progress. I see the strike lasting, but I don't see it lasting as long as the last one. I don't think the head honchos are really that stupid, but hey, I never know.

I don't think we'll really notice anything until perhaps after Christmas. We may see a few shows ending earlier than normal after sweeps and before the natural Christmas break, but this is how December's always been. Come January, after the holiday rush, we'll really start to notice it, if it lasts much longer. If it only lasts a week or two more, I don't think we'll notice it at all. But again, I may be wrong.

Here's a horrible thought. What if they decide to burn off the unaired episodes of Pirate Master to fill in some of the empty spots? I know I'll end up watching it - I won't be able to help myself. And then I'll have to live with the shame for the rest of my life.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread