+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WGA Strike & all related issues

FORT Fogey

Re: WGA Strike & all related issues

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;2656885;
    There is a process that a writer has to go through to become a member, it's not as simple as paying a fee and now your a member. Those people there couldn't have made him a member even if they wanted to.
    Absolutely. However, this is where the point I made in that post about strike funds comes into play. The writers receive assistance from the WGA during the strike. And they will benefit from the contract once it is ironed out and the strike is over. The people they are pressuring to honor the strike who are not union members will not share in those benefits. I think its asking alot of most struggling artists to endure the hardship of a strike without benefitting from the outcome.

Rumor stage: But if this is true, the industry is playing VERY dirty and things are going to get very very viscous.

Deadline Hollywood Daily » URGENT! Showrunners Receive Breach Of Contract CBS Letters; Pledge Solidarity

EXCLUSIVE: I have just learned that TV showrunners participating in the writers strike say they've been sent "breach of contract" letters from CBS yesterday telling them that if they don't report back to work then they'll be sued. The news was announced at a closed door, extremely secret meeting of 115 showrunners who gathered at the Writers Guild Of America to discuss strike-related issues amongst themselves. "The CBS letters yesterday said that if the showrunners don't report back into work for their producing duties, they're in breach and they'll be sued." No other showrunners had received letters yet from their respective networks or studios, the gathering was told. The CBS letters news was received somberly by the group. "Since CBS is first, it became clear that Les [Moonves] is the most pissed," a source at the meeting told me. "All the other showrunners now expect to get similar letters." After a group discussion, the showrunners came to an agreement on how to deal with this threat to them. "The writers agreed that, if anybody gets sued, the showrunners will all stand together. Those who are still working will go out and join us on the picket lines, and, if we're all back at work, then we'll all go out," a source told me. "That's if we come back."
    I have no idea how reliable this LA Weekly site is, so take the above with a grain of salt. Although if you look at the root page for their Entertainment blog section, by this Nikki Finke person, there's a TON of strike-insider-looking stuff posted there.
    Last edited by Krom; 11-08-2007 at 05:28 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2656919;
    Absolutely. However, this is where the point I made in that post about strike funds comes into play. The writers receive assistance from the WGA during the strike. And they will benefit from the contract once it is ironed out and the strike is over. The people they are pressuring to honor the strike who are not union members will not share in those benefits. I think its asking alot of most struggling artists to endure the hardship of a strike without benefitting from the outcome.
    It's complicated even for me but members of other unions like IATSE do benefit from WGA contracts through the pension plan but I do agree that they shoudn't be trying to force a non-member to honor a picket line, ask politely maybe.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2656923;
    Rumor stage: But if this is true, the industry is playing VERY dirty and things are going to get very very viscous.

Deadline Hollywood Daily » URGENT! Showrunners Receive Breach Of Contract CBS Letters; Pledge Solidarity

I have no idea how reliable this LA Weekly site is, so take the above with a grain of salt. Although if you look at the root page for their Entertainment blog section, by this Nikki Finke person, there's a TON of strike-insider-lokking stuff posted there.
    The story is true but Nikki Finke has been known to report whatever she hears before first checking the facts to determine if it's true but this story is accurate.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;2656932;
    The story is true but Nikki Finke has been known to report whatever she hears before first checking the facts to determine if it's true but this story is accurate.
    Difference between a blogger and a real journalist, I guess.

Even just turning your local TV news on, the strike news is pretty high profile. Here in the New York City metro area, there are shots of actors from the Law & Order cast on the lines, and I don't even think they have the rationale that Tina Fey does of being in the WGA. In L.A., people like Patrick Demsey and Sandra Oh, who I'm fairly certain aren't WGA members, have been in the picket lines, as well as the obvious people like Jay Leno (who's got to be one). From a P.R. standpoint the industry is taking a real beating right now.

Supposedly the DWTS writers are on strike.. I guess we forget that reality shows have writers sometime. So what does that mean? Nobody is really sure yet (this was reported on Yahoo when they were discussing Jane's boot) other than it will probably mean a lot of ad libbing. Now we are fairly sure that Tom can handle that but can Sam?

Hearing that their is a fund that covers those striking and knowing that when shows shut down production that the stars have made enough in the past just makes me feel bad for those fringe people who don't make as much and who will be hurt by not having an income. By fringe I mean all the people who are put to work because a show is in production but aren't stars or writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2656961;
    Supposedly the DWTS writers are on strike.. I guess we forget that reality shows have writers sometime. So what does that mean? Nobody is really sure yet (this was reported on Yahoo when they were discussing Jane's boot) other than it will probably mean a lot of ad libbing. Now we are fairly sure that Tom can handle that but can Sam?

Hearing that their is a fund that covers those striking and knowing that when shows shut down production that the stars have made enough in the past just makes me feel bad for those fringe people who don't make as much and who will be hurt by not having an income. By fringe I mean all the people who are put to work because a show is in production but aren't stars or writers.
    Actually Harmony just to clarify, the strike fund is only available to the writers if they apply for no interest hardship loans. They aren't paid while they are striking.

Ahhh got it... only thing I know about the fund is from what you guys have posted.

More on the ever fascinating topic of "people finding something else to do during the strike.

'The Unit' creator Mamet turns to cartooning during WGA strike - USATODAY.com

'The Unit' creator Mamet turns to cartooning during WGA strike

LOS ANGELES (AP) — David Mamet found an immediate outlet for his creativity during the Hollywood writers strike.

In a cartoon published Tuesday on the op-ed page of the Los Angeles Times, Mamet played the labor dispute for laughs, appearing to lampoon Writers Guild of America strikers.

The cartoon, drawn in a rough scribble, shows two men, each wearing a "WGA on Strike button." One, with sunglasses and a palm tree-decorated shirt, says: "Whaddaya think, will we end up on the breadline?"

"I don't touch carbohydrates," the other cartoon figure responds.

Mamet, a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright (Glengarry Glen Ross) and a screenwriter, also is creator and executive producer of the CBS TV series The Unit.

The show remained in production Tuesday, the day after the union went on strike against producers, but Mamet was observing the walkout, as was fellow executive producer Shawn Ryan, a show spokesman said.

A request for comment from Mamet was made to his agent Tuesday but there was no immediate response.

Ryan, creator of The Shield, is a member of the WGA negotiating committee.

I honestly think this strike is going to be bigger than anyone originally thought. Actors are refusing to cross the picket line, so production for many shows is coming to a halt.

Jenna Fischer has a whole thing on her MySpace blog about how the strike has affected "The Office".

Also, E! is reporting that if Jay Leno does not come back to work this next week that other employees will be fired until he comes back.

+ Reply to Thread