+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: WGA Strike & all related issues

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: WGA Strike & all related issues

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2780794;
    I'm actually enjoying the comfort of not much tv to watch.

Me, too! I'm catching up on old tapes, I'm watching some things I never saw before, and I'm reading more! Who knows, once this cold in my head is over and the weather warms up I may even exercise more! Danger, TV execs, Danger!!

If they sign within the next week (or two), then there are shows that are going to attempt another slew of new episodes THIS Spring (e.g., Desperate Housewives), while others have no plans for any new episodes till the Fall.

I think it's going to be a wait and see. While I'm missing my favourite shows and wishing they'd come back, I honestly have to say, I'm not missing the amount of time Tv seemed to take up! I'm getting a lot more class reading done that's for sure! It does make for extremely boring nights though when you just want to sit and veg in front of the tv. Haha.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2781059;
    Me, too! I'm catching up on old tapes, I'm watching some things I never saw before, and I'm reading more! Who knows, once this cold in my head is over and the weather warms up I may even exercise more! Danger, TV execs, Danger!!

Exactly!!! the strike wasn't all that bad. i once spent 3 days without turning on the TV.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2783069;
    Exactly!!! the strike wasn't all that bad. i once spent 3 days without turning on the TV.
    THREE DAYS! Whooo. Our FORT site may die if there are more like you! Actually I do see a lot less traffic....

I've also watched much less TV since the strike started, and I don't really miss it at all. I still keep up with my reality tv shows, but I like the FoRt and the FoRTers independently of certain shows anyway.

As the saying goes, silence is golden. I don't miss TV much in that regard, surprisingly.

----

On another note, for what it's worth, Disney released their earnings-- either .63 or .69 per share, I can't remember, well above the analyst estimate of .52. The stock itself was up close to $1 in after-hours when I left work... which, if I were a striking writer, would be about the last thing I'd want to hear.

FORT Newbie

I can't wait for new shows to come out. But I do agree during the strike I didn't really turn on the tv that much and I also didn't feel like I was missing anything.

This whole strike thing is killing me. I feel like the writers are punishing me personally. I haven't missed a moment of TV since the strike started, only now I'm watching mostly crap and I'm tired of it. I need my shows back!!

I subscribe to a Variety Magazine newsletter. They just sent me the following:

WRITERS, PRODUCERS REACH TENTATIVE DEAL

The Writers Guild of America has reached a tentative deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.
    WGA West president Patric Verrone and WGA East president Michael Winship sent out an email to members at 3 a.m. Saturday alerting writers that a deal has been made that “protects a future in which the Internet becomes the primary means of both content creation and delivery.”

Comic book writer Peter David (who apparently has some WGA credentials) got one of those emails and has already posted about it on his website:

Official site of Peter David, writer of stuff - Feb 9th entry

February 09, 2008
    Tentative Deal reached

An e-mail has been send around to WGA members stating that a tentative deal has been reached that, I get the impression, is going to be satisfactory to all concerned. A meeting was held today at 2 PM which I was not able to attend, since Ariel's High School bowling team had their county-wide playoffs today. One has to have priorities (Ariel's team came in second, by the way, and Ariel herself did excellently, shooting four games over 200.

From the tone of the letter, it appears that there will be no further picketing (which of course means the Oscars will go forward with no impediment--a big relief for Jon Stewart, I should think.) I have to think that, short of some sort of egregious problem, the strike is done.

PAD
    Posted by Peter David at 04:30 PM
    And EW.com says:

Tentative deal: Inside the WGA East meeting | Movie Biz, Strike, TV Biz | Hollywood Insider | EW.com

Tentative deal: Inside the WGA East meeting

Feb 9, 2008, 08:17 PM | by Hollywood Insider

Categories: Movie Biz, Strike, TV Biz

Wgaelogo_l The first of two meetings held today by Writers Guild of America leaders, presenting to striking WGA members the terms of a tentative deal they ironed out with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, ended on a upbeat note, according to an insider.

A late-night show writer and Guild member who attended the WGA East meeting, held in New York at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, told EW.com that the presentation was received well, describing a ''mostly positive vibe in the room'' and support for the WGA leaders and negotiators. According to the late-night writer, members seemed to ''recognize the warts of the deal but also found it a significant achievement.'' As EW.com reported earlier today, the tentative deal offers writers some share in profits for content streamed and downloaded from the Internet, so long as that content is not purely promotional. (For more details, click here.)

Most of the questions during the Q&A portion of the meeting, the late-night writer said, had to do with clarifying the mechanics of the proposed contract -- WGA members only received details of the tentative agreement via e-mail at 3 a.m. ET Saturday morning.

A WGA West meeting will be held tonight in Los Angeles. The date of an official WGA vote to ratify the contract and end the four-month strike has yet to be determined.
    So WGA West CAN still scuttle this.
    Last edited by Krom; 02-09-2008 at 10:57 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Krom, I'm not sure who this guy Peter David is, but I just have to comment. One DOES NOT "SHOOT" in reference to bowling. There now I feel better.

+ Reply to Thread