+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: WGA Strike & all related issues

FORT Newbie

Re: WGA Strike & all related issues

Hello, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I've been reading the thread and I wanted to tell anyone interested that fans of the writers used Skytypers to write a message during the Rose Parade and handed out flyers. Long story short, in order to cover the costs a silent auction is being held at the fans4writers website where you can bid on signed scripts and other assorted paraphanelia, including a Two and a Half Men 100th Episode Bicycle that will be personalized by Jon Cryer. Any remaining funds will go to the WGA Solidarity Fund for non-WGA members of the industry in financial distress as a result of the strike. You can also donate directly to the fund through the auction page. It ends January 11th.

As for the strike itself, when I first began reading about the strike, I was obviously more sympathetic towards the writers but was leaving my opinion open until further information became available. As I see it now, the studios have no interest in negotiating with the writers. Period.

The ultimatum issued on Dec. 7, where the writers had to rescind 6 of their proposals before another "bargaining" session could even be scheduled, was not negotiating in good faith. If you're a little skeptical, a copy of the letter is available at Deadline Hollywood Daily and search for "wga documents nlrb" for the complaint the WGA filed with the National Labour Relations Board concerning unfair labour.

I hope that's helpful to some of you and that I didn't violate any rules here. I also hope none of you outbid me in the auction

Hmm. One thing I've assumed from the beginning would happen when the strike went long enough, and the well of programs ran dry, has indeed started to happen. The repackaging of Cable shows for network TV.

And they are starting with a doozy. I mean this one's a hard sell for a convert.

Dexter is coming to CBS in February - TV Squad

Dexter is coming to CBS in February

Posted Jan 7th 2008 2:26PM by Jason Hughes

It looks like early speculation was correct. CBS is "repurposing" the 12-episode first season of Showtime's hit series Dexter. The NYTimes' TV Decoder reports the network-friendly version will air on Sundays beginning February 7th at 10 pm/9 Central. Dexter has been a critical and ratings darling for Showtime, helping it surpass HBO as the pay-channel du jour for compelling scripted drama at water coolers everywhere.

This gives you one solid month to speculate as to what the censors will have to cut to fit into the time limits and decency standards of broadcast network television. The 10/9 time slot will allow some leniency, and with splatter and gore as staples on shows like CSI and Criminal Minds for years, there may not be as much editing as one would think necessary, save for commercial breaks.

While I'm sure Dexter purists will deride this decision, it could prove beneficial for the show. Record setting ratings for Showtime are still a far cry from network ratings. Even if the show "fails" at CBS, it will still likely get more eyes onto the product than Showtime can. And if they like what they see, they may seek out the DVDs or Showtime to see what they're missing. I like the move, so long as the edits don't take away too much from the show.

CBS Corporation is taking advantage of their subsidiary Showtime during the strike and I admire it. They have gaps to fill in their schedule, and I have to admit, I'd rather see a great show from a pay channel reach a wider audience, even if it is PG-13, than another umpteen gazillian crappy reality and game shows. And let's not forget basic cable. ABC aired episodes of ABC FAMILY's hit Kyle XY the past two summers. I think The Shield would be well-suited for FOX. Hell, start with Season 1 and it's still better than most of what's on network TV.

NBC has USA, Time Warner (CW) has TNT, FOX has FX. There's plenty of programming out there ready for primetime. In the immortal words of Captain Jean-Luc Picard, I say to thee networks ... "Make it so!"

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

can somebody tell me what do the writers want? it seems like no one is winning

They want their cut of shows on the net, etc. The advertisers pay good money to the networks to have their commercials on the web casts and the writers aren't seeing anything from it or any other forms of showing other than the tv.
    Yup, with donuts!!

One of my resolutions this yr was to cut down on my tv viewing time. I must thank the writers for helping me in my effort.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

LG.

was anyone else watching The Tonight Show last night? There were two separate incidents where audience members were hauled out after screaming stuff at Jay and Bill Maher (the guest), and they thought it was writers strike related, but in was pretty much incomprensible babbling. I think Jay and Conan both are doing really well with their shows despite losing their writers (and not having side deals like their competition on CBS, Dave and whomever). Jay and Conan both make a point in saying in every episode they miss their writers and support their efforts and want them back. What more do the writers want from them? For the other 100 employees of the shows to all lose their jobs? Conan's honky-tonk singing was such a huge hit in Japan - that cracks me up.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;2755676;
    was anyone else watching The Tonight Show last night? There were two separate incidents where audience members were hauled out after screaming stuff at Jay and Bill Maher (the guest), and they thought it was writers strike related, but in was pretty much incomprensible babbling. I think Jay and Conan both are doing really well with their shows despite losing their writers (and not having side deals like their competition on CBS, Dave and whomever). Jay and Conan both make a point in saying in every episode they miss their writers and support their efforts and want them back. What more do the writers want from them? For the other 100 employees of the shows to all lose their jobs? Conan's honky-tonk singing was such a huge hit in Japan - that cracks me up.
    I didn't see the show. Did Bill Maher happen to say much about his feelings about the strike? He talked about it a bit on his HBO show Friday night, and i was really impressed with what he said.

In a nutshell, he talked about how much he loved and respected his writers, and how much he hated doing a show with an empty writers room. But he then went on to talk about how liberal Hollywood is, and how politically the town gets so angry and indignant every time that conservatives take a "with us or against us" stance on anything ... but that the writers were doing the same thing. He basically said that the non-writers in Hollywood respected and supported the reasons for the strike, but that did not mean that they could stop working / making a living too.

I was sorry that his comments were so brief, but I can understand why it was something he wanted to say and then move on.

LG.

Jay and Bill both talked about how lonely it was for them to be working on their jokes and whatnot for their shows all by themselves, with nobody to bounce their ideas off. Everytime Jay made a quip, Bill asked him "who wrote that for you???" so it certainly seemed like they'd both been facing a lot of heat about whether they are truly coming up with their own material, and not writing it down on anything came up a couple times too. I'm not a Bill Maher fan, but his position on the writers strike certainly did seem to make sense last night. Maher also made a couple disparaging remarks about his show being on HBO and nobody getting to see it. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. That reminded me of the reasons I don't really care for Maher.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2660016;
    Why shouldn't the writers receive something for their extra work?
    This is what I don't get about this strike. What extra work did they do? They didn't write it twice! They only wrote it once. I think they're just being greedy. I don't pretend to know anything about this business. I'm just a viewer and none of it makes any sense. All I can say is how happy I am that I've had Ugly Betty back and will have Chuck back if only for a couple of new episodes.

I think it's like actors who want their money for shows that are in syndication. Unless they sign away their rights to it, they should get royalties.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread