+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: WGA Strike & all related issues

Re: WGA Strike & all related issues

I would have thought striking a little sooner, right after the new shows had been partially shot would have gotten the viewers angry and pushed for resolution sooner; however - that would have had other consequences and possibly greater harm to all the people working in TV. I am sure they hoped to resolve this quickly, but I still think it won't be until we start yelling that a resolution will be reached. How long will that take?

From my knowledge of unions they are less concerned about the public and their feelings (other than if they are supporting them) and more concerned about hitting the company in the wallet. The intention of this strike is to force reruns and cost the company money they would have made with advertising (because no one is going to pay premium money to advertise on shows that aren't being watched). And to cost to a point on syndication... who wants to only watch part of a season of ER for example on TNT or where ever it is now. This will in part delay any DVD sales that will happen for the shows which will further hit the companies in the wallet.

At this point negotiations are at a stalemate. The companies don't want to give up more money and the writers don't want to accept less. So if the writers can hold out with no pay longer than the company can hold with a loss in profits they'll win. If not, usually what happens in union negotians is that the unions will concede and take whatever is being offered to them to stop discontent amongst their members who are not getting paid at the moment.

But all in all the public can yell and scream and have a tantrum but it doesn't matter. They don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos
    But all in all the public can yell and scream and have a tantrum but it doesn't matter. They don't care.
    So the networks don't care about the public screaming and refusing to watch reruns, thats disappointing. I didn't think it would matter to the writers, but I did think the networks would cave to public opinion. Interesting, and thanks for providing a different perspective, your view is very logical; although I do hope the strike is resolved favorably before the end of January. I always like it when both sides walk away thinking victory.

FORT Fogey

I think the big question is this -- Is the public screaming? If they're not yet, will they be? I don't hear screams. Part of that is because of the way the networks programmed in anticipation of the strike. The smart networks held some programs back. The stupid networks are watched so little, that people won't notice the lack of programming. Many of the biggest programs of the Winter will be running as normal, including American Idol and other reality programs. Others that won't be back, such as Grey's Anatomy or CSI, will be replaced by other programs for most viewers. They'll take it as an opportunity to check out some of the cable programs they've heard about but never watched, or else they'll try out the replacement programs.

I think the networks have done an effective job in recent years of knocking us out of the "TV season is September to May with good shows running consistently for all of those months" mindset. Viewers are used to shows that don't start until January, or run November to February and then go away, or that air in the Summer. As long as people have something to watch, they're happy. Through shelved programs, reality shows, and if necessary cable and/or foreign shows, the networks are making sure there's something to watch. It could be that networks really do care about viewers screaming -- that's why they're programming to avoid that.

If the networks care about anything, it's their bottom line. Which is why they're using the strike as an excuse to get out of some of the deals which look less fruitful. Their fiduciary responsibility is to their shareholders, not the viewers, and even that's less of an issue since most of the networks are part of huge conglomerates. Now, if stock prices continue to tumble, eventually they may begin to care. But profit and loss matters so much more than viewers.

I generally watch more tv than I probably should, so I wondered what I was going to do with this strike going on. And while the effect has so far been minimal--some of my shows still have episodes left-- the strike itself hasn't been as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Instead, I've been getting more sleep, more exercise, and even made more evening plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2737113;
    I generally watch more tv than I probably should, so I wondered what I was going to do with this strike going on. And while the effect has so far been minimal--some of my shows still have episodes left-- the strike itself hasn't been as big of a deal as I thought it would be.
    This is pretty much the same way I look at it. I've actually enjoyed the breather from watching too many shows. I still have episodes of last season's 24 that I haven't watched, as well as some of the summer series Army Wives. I've been able to catch up on dvd releases and of course more time at FORT . All too often the networks have started a series and yanked it just as quickly so I don't feel any loyalty to any of them anymore. The only interest I have in the strike ending is for the people who work on the shows and this is their bread and butter. Other than that, life goes on and I can come up with ways to keep busy just fine on my own. And there are still plenty of shows out there on cable and in reruns that I haven't seen so if I need a tv fix, I still have lots of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2736948;
    So the networks don't care about the public screaming and refusing to watch reruns, thats disappointing. I didn't think it would matter to the writers, but I did think the networks would cave to public opinion.
    This issue wasn't about the networks. It's the writers who've attempted- with little luck- to make this issue about the networks.

If you had read the previous post properly you'd have seen that what the poster was inferring was that both sides are to blame *if* you're being honest with yourself.

On the Today show they were talking about the return of the late shows tonight. They said David Letterman will have his writers but Jay won't and since Jay is also a writer he isn't allowed to write anything for his show. His whole show has to be ad libbed. He's not even allowed to write down notes.
    I love Jay and go to sleep with him every night. So I am excited that he's finally coming back but I'm really worried about how well he'll do. Even though he's a comedian I've never thought he ad libbed well on his show. Conan O Brian does. Conan is hysterical when he's interviewing someone and you know he's ad libbing. Jay, not so much. But I'll be watching to support him. I'm glad he's back and the people, besides the writers, get to go back to work.

I think, too, that the public is not really screaming - and I really don't think they will be. As in all things, I think that the networks, and the public, will adapt to new avenues of shows, i.e., more relality TV, and the writers will find themselves holding the short end of the stick. Honestly, I don't feel sorry for the writers, and I certainly don't feel sorry for the union, but I do feel extremely sorry for all of the workers on all of the shows whose very livelihood is being affected. If/When the strike finally ends and the writers get some measure of what they want, what will all of those workers have gained? Absolutely nothing, except having been out of work for all of that time. They are the ones in all of this that I really feel sorry for.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

It's kind of a unique industry that one group can actually stop production. In labor when the unions strike the companies rarely shut down and instead hire non-union labor. Although going the reality tv route would essentially be the answer to that issue I guess. Although that still leaves a lot of people out of work which is sad.

TV companies only really care about the viewers in so far as they are buying merchandise, DVD's and watching the commericals that other companies put into their shows.

I

+ Reply to Thread