+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: WGA Strike & all related issues

Re: WGA Strike & all related issues

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2726286;
    I actually think that the period around March may be the worst. NOTHING will be left in the bank for dramas, and it will be too soon for any DECENT new reality TV to be finished. So only the junk will be playing.
    I know - I'm so unhappy. If it were June, fine and dandy. I can spend my evenings sitting on the front porch, drinking G&T, reading a book and watching all the passersby heading up to the Bazaar. But no, it has to be March. The time of year when all I have the remotest amount of enthusiasm for is lying on the couch and watching tv. Now I have to spend my Christmas bonus on series' that have come and gone and I never saw. So I guess it's helloooooo, Lost.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

so is this strike over? I heard that some of the American networks were making deals with the Canadian and British shows so that we will have something to see in the spring. That should be interesting.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2730643;
    so is this strike over? I heard that some of the American networks were making deals with the Canadian and British shows so that we will have something to see in the spring. That should be interesting.
    Interesting as I was just saying this is what they should do. There have been a lot of British shows, I've liked over the years. Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, Upstairs, Downstairs, All Creatures Great and Small.

And I hear the British version of The Office is even more hysterical than the American one.

And one of my very favorite shows from Canada is the Red Green Show. I LOVE that show.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2726286;
    I actually think that the period around March may be the worst. NOTHING will be left in the bank for dramas, and it will be too soon for any DECENT new reality TV to be finished. So only the junk will be playing.
    Hey now Krom, them's fightin' words I'm looking forward to the Winter edition of Big Brother, the only bright spot in this awful strike And I think the new Survivor will be up in February too. Other than that, I just hope these writers get what they rightfully deserve, so everyone can get to work and earn some money. It's the "little guys" on the shows that I worry most about.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2730643;
    It's definitely not over !! There are already many Canadian shows on some American stations--Degrassi, Instant Star, Corner Gas, Red Green Show, etc. I don't know how many more we make/you'll get though.

I hope the strike's over soon. Very soon. Unless they reach an agreement within the first few weeks of the new year, no new episodes will be made until premieres for September 2008. (If an agreement's reached in time)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2730688;
    Interesting as I was just saying this is what they should do. There have been a lot of British shows, I've liked over the years. Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, Upstairs, Downstairs, All Creatures Great and Small.

And I hear the British version of The Office is even more hysterical than the American one.

And one of my very favorite shows from Canada is the Red Green Show. I LOVE that show.
    The British version isn't "funnier" per se, but in it's own way just as brilliant. in fact, i'd be hard pressed to actually pick a favorite between the two versions.

the thing that the Brits do so well, and particularly Gervais - as evidenced in Extras - is make EXTREMELY uncomfortable TV and show the hilarity in the moments that make you squirm. you think the US Office has uncomfortable moments? NOTHING compared to the UK version.

it's genius. but then again, so is the US version. just differently.

however, i doubt Gervais and Steven Merchant will let the UK Office run here. But it's available for purchase on DVD and the reruns go on BBCA. you should definitely check it out.

slightly off topic, but still about the strike: there is talk of bringing some pay cable shows to the networks. I'm not sure exactly which ones and how it will be done but i know one of the ones being bandied about is "Dexter" being aired on CBS. I believe that the company that produces Dexter, or Showtime as a channel and CBS are owned by the same parent company therefore the program would be a go to air on network TV (CBS).

There's talk of other shows doing something similar. but so far Dexter is the only one I've heard of.

and the strike is FAR from over. in fact, don't expect to see any new scripted shows come Sept. They've neared the point where all the pilots are not going to have time to be written, shot and vetted through and then pushed onto air.

having talked to friends i have that are in the entertainment industry -the roundabout guess as to when TV should go back to "normal" is about a year. Scripted series-wise.

But who knows. Since the Golden Globes (and the Oscars to come) are going to be picketed and therefore not attended by most of the actors and have no writers to write the show, the ANTPM may cave sooner. I can't imagine not having the Oscars. they may throw in the ring with the Globes, but ... it's all rather interesting to see it play out. even if it's super annoying to us, the television viewers.
    "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages."

Yeah, the strike is inconvenient when it comes to my being able to veg' in front of the tube, but I support what the writers are asking for, so I won't be watching whatever the networks bring in to replace the regular shows.

And now that I know that the "writers" for reality TV work long hours without overtime or benefits, I'm not real thrilled about supporting that genre, either.

Please somebody tell me that all of the shows on HGTV and the Style network aren't produced by uninsured, underpaid, people who are being taken advantage of.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

The strike's not over and- although i empathize with the writers- they really made a bad decision as to *how* and *when* they struck.

Seems they couldn't have shot themselves in the foot any better than they have.

Quote Originally Posted by RealitiniMan;2735929;
    The strike's not over and- although i empathize with the writers- they really made a bad decision as to *how* and *when* they struck.

Seems they couldn't have shot themselves in the foot any better than they have.
    I agree the timing was probably pretty bad. Do strikes of this magnitude ever get resolved until the public gets sick of it and starts clamoring for resolution?

You know, that whole TPTB caving to restless natives thingee?
    The holidays was the wrong time, everyone is used to not seeing their fav shows for awhile. Everyone (the public) is still sitting back relaxed enjoying so many other diversions that no one watching TV, is feeling it yet. Come January though, the public should start to want to settle in and begin to want new airings. Once we start yelling, mediation should become pressured into resolving this, otherwise it really won't matter that networks have to start broadcasting in digital come 2009.

As bad as the timing may have been, with the holidays and all, I think waiting even longer would have been worse in terms of affecting the public. If they'd waited till January, most shows would have enough episodes to get through February sweeps. There's not usually a whole lot of new stuff on in March and early April, so the effect of a January strike would be delayed till closer to May. Once daylight savings time returns, viewership usually decreases again anyway. To force reruns and/or reality shows conceived quickly and out of desperation in the middle of winter, which is when I (for one) most want to kick back in front of the tv, is probably most effective time to do it. It's also certainly a hell of a lot more effective than striking in March as they did in 1988.

I have a feeling I'm going to become a college basketball superfan this winter.

+ Reply to Thread