+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Penn & Teller's "Bullsh**"

I just love it. I saw the ESP one on Sunday too, they are hilarious...

I don't know if you knew why they call it bull$h*t and why they swear so much (i,e they say @$$h*les, f**Kers etc)... ANyhow, just a quick & fun explanation. They explained in the first episode that if they used words like fraud, quacks, fakes, liars etc, they could indeed get sued by these peoplefor saying that about them on TV... however if they use words like bullshit, f**kers etc instead of liars, frauds etc, then there was no way they could get sued .....
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

FORT Fogey
    Friday's (April 4) episode "Eat This" was a major riot.

My favorite part was the interview with Juliano, the raw foods chef. I saw this guy on the Style Network maybe a year ago and he was a nutjob then. Seems going raw foods has further impeded his capacity to grasp reality.

Did some research on Norman Borlaug, the agronomist, and he's even more fascinating than I initially thought.

FORT Fogey

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies...no don't

What I like about Penn & Teller's Bull***t show is that not only do P & T soundly trounce on sacred cows like ESP, Feng Shui, bottled water, Creationism, diets, biologically engineered food (duh, it's ALL biologically engineered and better for it), but you actually get to T H I N K.

You might actually go to Google and look up someone like Dr. Borlaug and find out more about this remarkable man.

However, I would not go to the trouble of researching Juliano. He is a typical uninformed wacko that I have no desire to know more about.

I've never heard about this show. Any idea if its available in Canada? Penn and Teller are hilarious.
    Headlines
    Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane.
    Lemonade recalled due to possibleglass fragments in Canada.
    Lindsay Lohan to join Celebrity Big Brother.

Anybody else need a dandelion break???

FORT Fogey
    To: technomage500

If you have Showtime, then you can get Penn & Teller's show. It is on every Friday night, and then repeated several times during the week.

The other thing is, P&T don't do magic tricks (well, a couple of small ones). I'm not a fan of their magic, but the show is still entertaining.

Juliano and his cult was very weird do you see how the camera show them how they eat oh look at me I'm beautiful when I eat yuck. I bet people in Venice try to run away from these freaks every day.

I loved the diet show, even though I thought it would be more on diet foods etc, but they do a good job in digging up dirt... I just loved the greenpeace segments & how people in Kenya didn't get any food cause they were convinced by the environmentalists it was poisonous in some way...

I've not seen Penn & Teller's magic, I know it's pretty disturbing, but they're really good in this show I just love it.

FORT Fogey

Ouija Boards and Near Death Experiences

Tonight's (April 11) show attempted to debunk ouija boards and near death experiences (NDEs).

I'm sold on this series because it's hilarious, dispenses with bullshit in well educated manner and the topics are worthy of attention. For example, the second hand smoke episode was spot on.

Ouija boards though? Aren't there other more interesting issues to tackle like acid rain, the ozone layer or those healings at prayer revivals? If anything, I'd actually like to buy a ouija board now to test out the idio-something that psychologist talked about.

As for the NDEs, I guess they did a good job at showing this stuff can happen in a controlled environment (the centrifuge) but that still doesn't explain why the reported white light visuals are similar.

Funniest part was seeing the faces of the test pilots as they are passing out. I'd love to have footage of myself doing that!

The thing is, Penn & Teller don't really say that its IMPOSSIBLE for this to happen...but they strive to make people realize that there may be other, realistic & scientific sides to some of this stuff, and what they're particularly striving to do is call the bluff when someone's making money from bluffing people like this.

Like the show on ESP, I still think there's certain degrees of ESP between some people, and yeah maybe some peopel are able to see into the future somehow but.... most of the ones making bank on it are frauds.
    Same with NDE, some people may actually have experienced it, we don't know, but it was really interesting to see the scientific side of how they can happen :-)

So P&T are taking the opposite side, to the extreme, then leaving us to make up our own minds somehow.

I love the show, unfortunately I missed tonight's episode, but I will catch it Sunday or Thursday :-)
    I just love this show, it's great, if it ever comes out on DVD it'll be the first TV series I've ever purchased on DVD ..... lol :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast