+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 207 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159 ... LastLast
Like Tree867Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

Re: Big Bang Theory

Oh wow, you are so lucky! I cannot wait to hear all about it! I would love to be in the audience for the show. I always wonder what it would look like from a non-edited for tv point of view.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4046993;
    I went to the taping, and it was so much fun! I'm happy to talk all about my experience but I think I'd almost rather wait until after the episode airs...
    Could you be persuaded to share a little about your experience, perhaps without giving away any spoilers about the episode itself (such as how is the taping done, what is the audience's role, what the actors are like between takes, how long is the taping, etc.)?

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

For anyone on the west coast:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Jim Parsons won the Emmy for best actor in a comedy!!

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Wrigley Dog, I just got on here to post that! And that award is WELL deserved!

So very happy that Jim Parsons won!! He comes across as one of the nicest, most humble and appreciative guys in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4051256;
    Could you be persuaded to share a little about your experience, perhaps without giving away any spoilers about the episode itself (such as how is the taping done, what is the audience's role, what the actors are like between takes, how long is the taping, etc.)?
    This will probably be more detail than you were wishing for, but here goes...

I may as well start with some helpful hints for anyone looking to do this themselves. Big Bang tapes at Warner Brothers in Burbank on Tuesday nights. Tickets are available at Free TV Studio Audience Tickets | Audiences Unlimited, Inc.. They give out a limited number, and for each person in your party, you need to fill out a separate form. They run out pretty quickly (within an hour or so), so you need to be proactive. The ticketing site is updated Monday-Friday around 8 am pacific time, and new shows will appear four weeks and a day ahead of time (in the case of shows that tape on Tuesday).

Now, having tickets doesn't guarantee you'll make it in, and obviously Big Bang is a popular show. I was flying out from New York for the show, so I was pretty determined to make it in (if you don't, supposedly you get VIP tickets to a future show). I did some research online and the advice was to get there early. My friend and I tried to go around 1:30, the parking garage attendant said we were too early and to come back at four. To me, that didn't sound right, so around 2:15 we decided to search for alternate parking, and my friend dropped me off in the waiting area (ground floor of the parking garage, has benches, a bathroom, vending machines). I asked the person ahead of me where she parked, and she was able to get into the garage around 2:10, so I had my friend come back and park there. We were 9th and 10th on the line, and for future reference, I'd say that for that show, probably 3:30 would have been safe as well. Lots of people start showing up around 4, so at that point it's probably the luck of the draw.

Around 4:30, the pages came out and started checking IDs, and around 5:15 they led the first group of us across the street. We had a security check (cameras and phones are supposedly big no-nos. I didn't take my chances but I think others did and were ok) and a chance to go to the bathroom. Then they led us down to stage 25.

Once inside, we had another security check (bags inspection and a trip through a metal detector both times) and we followed a curtain pathway to the audience seating area. They had black partitions (with the show's logo, IIRC) up in front of all the sets, and they actually only moved them aside when they were using a particular set. I was sitting in front of the hallway set, closer to Penny's apartment. They also have tvs, and if you can't see the action live, you'll see it on those tvs.

They had a photo montage going on the tvs while they got the audience seated, and then the warmup guy comes out and gives you a basic rundown of the expectations, and the fire/bathroom info. Then, you watch an episode on the tvs. We watched The Pancake Batter Anomaly from season one, an oldie but a goodie. Then, they introduce the cast, and they start the taping. The audience's only job is to react naturally (in other words, laugh, don't scream your name as you're laughing so that you hear it when the show airs), and to pretend you're seeing everything for the first time, so, laugh as hard on successive takes as you do on the first one.

They usually do each scene twice, sometimes three or four times if necessary, or sometimes they'll do parts of scenes. Between each take, the audience warmup guy is essentially trying to keep the audience revved up, so they'll have various audience participation games (there was a dance off, they had some people up there singing, they had people come up and explain why they liked the show, etc.. some of them were pretty funny, actually) and there's music playing. I was in the fourth row, so I couldn't really see any of the actors who weren't in the scene. Between takes, the actors who are in the scene are usually talking to the director and/or the producers, getting makeup touchups, talking to each other. Not a lot of interaction with the audience, although if the warmup guy says their names, sometimes they reacted. There are four cameras, and crews of 2-3 people on each camera, and sometimes between takes you'd see them laughing at whatever was going on out in the audience. They pre-tape some of the scenes sometimes, and if they do that, they'll show you what they've pre-taped to get the audience reaction to that.

After the show, the actors come out and take their bows. Kunal Nayyar signed a bunch of autographs, and Bill Prady and Chuck Lorre each signed some. I got Kunal and Chuck Lorre to sign my program.

I'll get into more of the specifics of the taping after the episode itself airs, but if you have more questions, feel free to ask..

FORT Fogey

Thanks so much, Missy! That was really interesting. Just one question: Are the actors as cute in person as on TV? Did you get a sense of their real personalities? (Okay, that's two questions.)

Mmm, good questions. I'm going to say yes to the first one, but then, when they're on tv you see them up close. This was more like going to BBT The Play, if that makes sense. You're further away. But it was, at the same time, very cool to see these real people in their characters' clothes that we've all seen, just there in front of you... hard to explain.

As for their personalities, I think interviews and the like give a better sense of that. During the taping, they were very focused. They wanted to get it right. They work hard, and it shows. They also didn't make many mistakes-- there were only a handful of flubbed lines. Considering the dialogue and that they only have a week from the time they receive the script, it's pretty impressive.

The episode I saw will air September 30, fyi.

FORT Fogey

Thanks again for answering my questions, Missy! What a cool experience. I would love to see a taping of one of my favorite shows. I'm so glad Jim Parsons won the Emmy, too. He has created an iconic character. Can't wait until the new season starts!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I envy your experience Missy. I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be in the studio when they filmed the episode with the ball pit (bazinga!). Thankfully, I'm not a loud laugher as they surely would have had to ask me to leave!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Penny . . . . Penny . . . . Penny!

'Big Bang's' Kaley Cuoco breaks a leg - CNN.com
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread