+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1477Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Big Bang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That marriage proposal was one of the most depressing moments in the entire history of the show.
    ITA. Between this ep and Wednesday's Modern Family, it seems like the sitcom writers of the shows I watched have regressed and become depressing. I need to head over to my parents' house, who have lovingly stored up a bunch of Veep eps for me.

This is my favorite show, but I have been disappointed a lot this season. It is reminding me of the tv show Friends (which I could not stand). Penny and Leonard are just like Rachel and Ross. I hope the writers finish this season and begin anew.
    There's no place like home!

You're right, captain. I still think Penny would drop Leonard like a hot potato (like she did in real life) if something/someone better came along. Maybe Amy will push Sheldon for a more physical relationship and he will balk and that will be the end of them. Maybe Sheldon will put his genius to work and make a ground-breaking discovery that rockets him into fame and leaves them all behind. Raj really deserves a love life, so I'll root for that, but not necessarily with Red. Bernadette is already a mommy substitute for Howard. He's dug his own grave there. She doesn't want kids. That could be a problem for him. Unless the show is winding down for good, four "happily ever afters" won't leave much room for growth.
    captain likes this.
    Count your blessings!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Just finally watched this week's episode and so many of you before me summed it up well. I thank you for that.

Yup, disappointed in Leonard and Penny. The proposal was awful and yes, depressing is the way I'd describe it. I almost thought Leonard had wisened up when he dismissed Penny's "let's get married" idea. But, no, he only stood up momentarily then stooped right back over again.

Not happy about how Bernadette and Howard are "progressing" either. She's really become quite the shrew... and he's becoming *more* of a chauvinist (didn't think that was possible - guess I was wrong).

As much as I have loved this show, and found it to be so clever and hilarious, this season is just going downhill for me. I don't expect the season finale to redeem it for me

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey

If you look back to the first season when we first met Penny, the change the writers have made in her is shocking. I can't figure out why they did this. She looks like the tired defeated woman to whom life has given nothing but disappointments.

L fell for his his dream---the prom queen so his feelings for her never changed, but Penny always seemed to be looking for something better than L. The writers had her drinking too much, bickering with L constantly, mooching not just off the guys but off Amy and Bernie, and having her talk about an expensive dress she bought during that same episode.
    Last edited by ibot2much; 05-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    PWS likes this.

FORT Fogey

They've really made Penny unlikeable, and I don't know where they're going with that. Fans of the show want something much better for Leonard, someone who really appreciates him for who he is, not a woman who is settling for marrying him because nothing else is working out in her life.
    holly71 and PWS like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm hoping the gorilla movie becomes some kind of cult hit, Penny gets some fame and some acting options, and then realizes she needs Leonard along for the ride. After all, she could presumably be dating other, good looking, actors, but she prefers Leonard. I'm rooting for there to be real feeling in there.
    Otherwise Leonard should go out with that cute "assistant" of Sheldon's from a few seasons ago who had a crush on him. Now that would have made sense. I hope Penny means more to Leonard than a prom queen fantasy...that he likes the real person...
    libgirl2 likes this.

The portrayal of Penny is starting to turn me off of the show a bit. It's just not as enjoyable. I agree with those who say that she's settling for Leonard and doesn't have the same appreciation for him that he has for her. I have the feeling that with the 3-season renewal this show will overstay its welcome.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah...3 seasons from now even Sheldon will be at least having sex....Raj will be married.... the only drama will be fixing Stuart up! Maybe with Raj's old girlfriend....
    libgirl2 likes this.

I don't care about the relationships, this is pretend. I care that I am entertained, and this is one of the few shows that actually makes me lol. Maybe not as much as it used to, but def significantly more than other shows that call themselves comedies.

I really thought Leonard's proposal was soooo sweet.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread